MARC riders still angry

Update 5:45p.m.: MARC trains 535, 877, and 848, and VRE train 309 are all late this evening due to equipment problems.

Original post: Seventy of the 900 passengers who were stranded on a MARC train that broke down Monday evening without air conditioning have signed a petition because they were "concerned and disgruntled" with how the incident was handled, said Calvin Spears, a passenger who collected the signatures.

Spears, a government worker from York, Pa., said he circulated the petition in his sweltering rail car of train 538 as it sat broken down for more than two hours near New Carrollton. He said he "started to feel woozy" from the heat and decided to collect the signatures after fellow passengers started to discuss how they were
"concerned for their safety."

Spears said he faxed the signatures to the Maryland Transit Administration on Wednesday.

"We didn't just want to be forgotten," he said.

Ten people were treated for heat-related symptoms, including three who were taken to a local hospital, officials said. MARC service has been plagued with heat-related problems since the incident.

-- Katherine Shaver

By Luke Rosiak  | June 23, 2010; 5:12 PM ET
Categories:  Commuter Rail  | Tags:  MARC, Penn Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley plans MARC train ride
Next: Blue and Yellow Line delays

Comments

Looks like we have another community organizer here. Why don't you just live near where you work? Then you don't have to deal with this nonsense.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | June 23, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I think that was a great idea. Hope he got their phone numbers too and I think the Post should include his phone number for others who want to contact him for a class action law suit!

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | June 23, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fireball72 | June 23, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

And I was on VRE 333 this evening, which was two hours late after the train broke down and then we had to transfer to another train. Two hours isn't an eternity to some nitnoid writing critical remarks with re-runs of Jersey Shore playing on their DVD while they eat leftover Domino's pizza - but when you're sitting on a broken train not knowing WHEN you're going to get home, it's a bit annoying. And don't blame the people riding the train - where the ***** is this clean affordable housing in DC I'm hearing about? "clean" and "affordable" are relative terms. At any rate - I've NEVER lived in an area with more subway/train issues than this cesspool.

Posted by: tcm_crew | June 23, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"DC is full of clean, affordable, vacant housing. Why anyone lives a trainride from work is beyond me."

The key missing word is SAFE.

Posted by: gbooksdc | June 23, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The Nation's Capitol is a dump. I live here and wish I did not. All the big city problems with none of the advantages. Awful public transportation, terrible crime, rents among the highest in the US, and very few good restaurants. It seems as if buca di beppo is considered a fine Italian restaurant here.

Posted by: djones13 | June 23, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

To MARC (and Virgin Atlantic, etc): It's customer service STUPID! Yes. Machines break down. Weather. It happens. How you respond to the humans trapped in your machines is what matters. It's easy. You take care of them. Let them know what's happening ... without BS. Leave the spin in your PR department. And speaking of spin, I hope that your emergency plan is more than shining a positive light on a bad situation. Where's the water for passengers, egress to busses, a backup locomotive to drag the dead train to somewhere civilized? Did you think that turning your back on passengers was the best plan? Don't forget for each passenger there's a camera, a phone, and a story of how poorly you performed.

Posted by: proof | June 23, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"The key missing word is SAFE."

The missing words are SAFE SCHOOLS. I grew up in the District and still enjoy working there, but wouldn't send my kids to school there if my life depended on it.

Posted by: jorelguire | June 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse