Md. unveiling new license plate

State officials are unveiling a new license plate that will become standard on all Maryland vehicles.

The Motor Vehicle Administration planned to introduce the new plates on Saturday during the agency's centennial celebration at its Glen Burnie headquarters. The plates feature a scene around Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.

The War of 1812 plates replace the black and white standard issue plates for all cars, trucks, motorcycles and other vehicles, starting on Monday.

Officials say the new plate will be issued through June 2015.

--Associated Press

Maryland FAQ on new plate

licenseplatep.jpg

What do you think of the new design? Post a comment below or take our poll.

By Michael Bolden  | June 13, 2010; 4:17 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meet the MARC Managers
Next: The weekend and beyond

Comments

Well, it's harder for the cops to read.

Posted by: silentjay | June 13, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

patriotic, historic, ugly

Posted by: Eyjafjallajokullone | June 13, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Quite ugly. At least its not as ugly as Ohio's new license plate, which looks like a first graders art project.

Posted by: chaosj5-6 | June 13, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

That's the best they could do? Really ugly.

Posted by: maxcat | June 13, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Hideous. The "Maryland" font with a lowercase "y" is bad enough, but the rest of it looks like it was done with clip art on a circa 1994 computer.

Posted by: Melocoton | June 13, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, how embarassing. So if I'm reading this right, people will be forced to put these tacky plates on their cars. Will drivers be given a choice to keep the old black and white plates?

Posted by: mmurphy6 | June 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Which 6-year-old with an Etch-a-Sketch won the $4.95 first-place prize for design?

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | June 13, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

hideous & childish. I don't plan on surrendering my b&w plates.

Posted by: jts53 | June 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Are we claiming Maryland owns the War of 1812? Cuz that war was a draw, although some would say the burning of Washington pushes it into the "W" column.

Posted by: krickey7 | June 13, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

As a Maryland resident, I for one will be glad to see the old uninspiring black and white plates go, but change just for the sake of change is no good. The new plate already looks dated. With today's tech there's no reason this plate should have come out so early 90's looking.

Posted by: Ballermd | June 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Maryland should design a special plate for Montgomery County. It could have the county's budget deficit printed on it, along with the county's motto, "Millions for illegals, tax bills for citizens."

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This license plate is awful. The last thing our State should do (which suffered terribly at the Battle of Antietam during the Civil War) is glorify the Revolutionary War. If I get elected Montgomery County Executive, I'll see what I can do to stop the State from issuing these plates in Montgomery County.

Posted by: DANIELVOVAK | June 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

^^ The Revolutionary War is not equal to the War of 1812.

Nevertheless, it is an awful design. I'd have no problem if MD offered it as an optional 3rd custom design, but to force it on everyone is obscene.

Posted by: Chris737 | June 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

This is one of the ugliest and stupidest plate designs that I have seen. Hopefully, the public backlash will be strong enough that they withdraw it, or at least keep the old design available.

The current MD standard plate is classy and functional. It's also extremely legible, something this plate won't be.

Posted by: nrubenstein | June 13, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

It looks amateurish.

Posted by: ceefer66 | June 14, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Every state that has the Appalachian Trail running through it is getting a special AT plate for people to buy...but not Maryland. Instead we get this hideous piece of trash. Whose MVA or state house relative designed it? This could not have come from any independent artist. I don't want it any of our vehicles.

Posted by: tl4sa | June 14, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree, this plate should be offered as a special custom design, along with the Chesapeake Bay and the Agriculture tags that are available. I really dislike that they did not maintain any of the Maryland state colors. It's not even the right red. The red that is displayed is too pink to match the red of the state shield. Interesting history of Maryland plates can be found here http://www.15q.net/md.html.

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | June 14, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

So.... many..... fugly...... problems....

font
ugly picture
"War of 1812"?

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 14, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

It's boring, and it does not reflect Maryland. How many people can tell at a glance that it is the Francis Scott Key flag? We should have the MD flag, the Statehouse, the Baltimore Oriole (bird), a crab! Something else!!! And better colors--a dark background? It reminds me of an old NY plate.

Posted by: backusle | June 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The new design is appalling. It looks like a child’s drawing. Our current standard issue conservative plates are just fine. If folks want to jazz up their vehicles with that ugly plate, then fine, but don’t make it mandatory for the rest of us. The Governor may have just lost my vote in the upcoming election.

Posted by: rfdx | June 14, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

^^Obviously you aren't "forced" to get a new license plate. These are issued for NEW license plates only. You can keep your old plates, and in fact, I would highly recommend you do that over replacing them with this piece of trash. I commented to my bf that it looks like someone threw a few clip-art images from the 90's onto a white background and called it a day. I'm all for honoring historic events, but does it have to LOOK historic, as well?

Posted by: crzytwnman | June 14, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

^^Obviously you aren't "forced" to get a new license plate. These are issued for NEW license plates only, as in, for new cars and newly-purchased used cars, changing state plates, etc. You can keep your old plates, and in fact, I would highly recommend you do that over replacing them with this piece of trash. I commented to my bf that it looks like someone threw a few clip-art images from the 90's onto a white background and called it a day. I'm all for honoring historic events, but does it have to LOOK historic, as well?

Posted by: crzytwnman | June 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Horrible! Just when you thought the plain Black and White tags couldn't be outdone for hideousness. Come on!!

Posted by: PepperDr | June 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

All the more reason to sign up for an Ocean City MD license plate! They're beautiful!

see it here: tinyurl.com/2co4cgu
online forms here: tinyurl.com/27jky4f

Posted by: terpfan2000 | June 14, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

At first glance, I hate it.

Then I look at it a little more closely, and realize that it feels like a rejected design for DC plates during the Bicentennial in 76, with that "I can design something too" feeling of the mid-90's thrown in for bad measure.

Then I hate it even more.

Posted by: Goat_74 | June 14, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Simply terrible.

Posted by: jckdoors | June 15, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

This is hideous! Who's brilliant idea was this anyway? Perhaps they're hiding (as they should).

Posted by: hannayjohn | June 15, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd gladly pay an extra $20 to get the farmland or Bay plates just to not get this one! Thankfully I have the black and white one.

Posted by: sbola1zv | June 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That is one of the most hideous license plates I have ever seen. What is that thing in the bottom left? Is it supposed to be Ft McHenry? It looks like lego blocks. How could anyone think this is plate worth mass-producing?

Posted by: hurricaneg | June 16, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

This is an epic failure. And it's ugly, to boot. Don't get me wrong, I love our country, and it resembles patriotic enthusiasm. However, the design is horrific, and I'm quite sure if the MVA held a poll for different types of designs, someone would have suggested an alternative.

The good news is it won't be around forever.

Posted by: thelongblueline | June 16, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse