Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

Metro remembers Red Line victims

About 300 people gathered near Fort Totten Metro station on Tuesday morning and observed a moment of silence for the nine people killed and dozens injured in the tragic Red Line crash that happened one year ago.

"Today we reflect ontyson.gif the most tragic day in the history of Metro. We express our shared sorrow," said Jim Graham, a member of Metro's board of directors, who presided over the event.Graham was board chairman when the accident occurred.

Representatives of the families said that the Metro accident could have been avoided, and urged Metro officials to take steps to make sure that such loss of life never happens on the system again.

-- Ann Scott Tyson

Story: What now for Metro?

Video: D.C. emergency responders reflect on the crash

The crash | The victims | The families | The investigation | The audit
Memorials | Video Archives | Full Archives | Federal transit report

What do you think? Is Metro service better or worse than it was a year ago? Weigh in.

By Michael Bolden  | June 22, 2010; 11:04 AM ET
Categories:  Metro  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NTSB statement on Red Line crash
Next: Trapped on the MARC train?

Comments

Metro is disingenuous. Sovereign Immunity will not protect you from Gross Negligence.

Families: Metro wants suit dismissed

A representative of eight of the families of the nine people killed in the June 22 Red Line crash said in a statement that the day of remembrance was marred by recent actions Metro has taken in court in response to litigation pending over the accident. The families are suing for wrongful death and negligence. The family of train operator Jeanice McMillan was not a party to the statement.

The eight families filed separate suits, but they were combined into one legal action.

According to a statement by Kenneth Hawkins, brother of Dennis Hawkins, 64, "On May 24, 2010 WMATA filed a motion for dismissal of the claims brought against them by the families of those killed in the Metrorail accident, based on the claim of sovereign immunity."

"As a quasi-government entity, WMATA believes that it does not or should not bear obvious responsibility for its negligence, which resulted in the untimely deaths of nine innocent and unsuspected citizens and scores of injured, all of whom trusted the safety of the Metrorail system," he said in the statement.

This petition "demonstrates the cynicism and blatant contempt WMATA has for the victims, families, and justice." It also makes this day of remembrance disingenuous to say the least."

"Our attorneys are at the court this moment filing opposition to the May, 24, 2010 petition for dismissal of the claim."

Hawkins said a trial date had been set for September 2011 in the case, but Metro petitioned the court on June 6 for an extension to 2012.

-- Ann Scott Tyson

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company