Penn. Ave. bike lanes open Tuesday

The long-awaited opening of the Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes is planned for Tuesday afternoon.

District officials said Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, District Department of Transportation Director Gabe Klein and U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood will inaugurate the new lanes at 2 p.m. at the Old Post Office Pavilion.

The plan, announced this spring, was recently retooled.

D.C. revises bike lane plan | The plan | Capital Bikeshare

What do you think about the current setup of the lanes? Post a comment below.

By Michael Bolden  | June 21, 2010; 5:40 PM ET
Categories:  Driving, Transportation Politics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Expect delays on New Hampshire NE
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

I may just have to take an inaugural ride down Pennsylvania Avenue tomorrow.
Woo hoo!

Posted by: krickey7 | June 21, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is the "official opening" but the bike lanes have been there for a few months. Two weeks ago I was hit by a cab as the driver tried to make an illegal u-turn through the bike lanes on Pennsylvania between 9th and 10th Street. I'm sure many bikers will end up getting hit by cabs and other drivers in the new bike lanes.

Posted by: miknugget | June 22, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

A tremendous waste of money. Most bike riders rode in the median area of Penn ave anyway. Now they create the lanes, realized they made a mistake by taking full lanes of the Ave. for a bike path and having them the same size and color stripping as a traditional car lane. (that's just asking these crazy cab drivers who will do anything for a $7 fare to hit them.) Now today i see them out there redoing the lanes to be the same street level median area 99% of the bike riders on Penn Ave used any darn way!!!!! To make this some grand announcement or ceremony is a crock of sht really. I drive the route on occasion. i also used to ride a bike, so I'm sensitive to that aspect too. I just happen to know a little on planning and development and this was some piss poor planning. The project did not need to be implemented before anyone realized the conflicts it created. This was one of those projects that even if the Mayor, secretary of Transportation or whoever in power said just do it, you went back to the office and developed a schematic that showed here are the problems you create. then you tell him, you'll pass on the project as he wants it.

Posted by: oknow1 | June 22, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hooray for bike lanes. I'll be there on my way home tonight.

Posted by: shejoy | June 22, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

all lanes should be bike lanes

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 22, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

They are, seraphina, they are.

Posted by: krickey7 | June 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse