Dunn Loring Station reopens

From our archives:
Private anguish plays out in public | The operators' perspective

6:55 p.m. Update: Metro says the delays have been cleared and service has returned to normal.

5 pm. Update: Metro says trains stations are still single-tracking and the free shuttle buses continue to run. The station is open, but the track where the accident occurred has not been cleared for service.

4:23 p.m. Update: The Post's Emily Tsao reports that Dunn Loring Station has reopened but trains are still single-tracking. A train remains at the platform surrounded by yellow tape.

4:10 p.m.: Dunn Loring Station is still closed.

3:08 p.m. Update: Dunn Loring Station remains closed and trains continue to single track between Vienna and West Falls Church stations due to a man being killed this afternoon by a train.

2:45 p.m. Update: Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said the man is deceased.

2 p.m. Update: Metro spokeswoman Cathy Asato said the person is male, and the initial police investigation indicates he may have been on the tracks intentionally.

Metro said free shuttle bus service between the Vienna and West Falls Church stations was established at 1:50 p.m.
-- Ann Scott Tyson

1:48 p.m. update: The accident occurred about 1:15 p.m. as an inbound six-car train pulled into Dunn Loring Station.

Metro warns that there could be delays on the Orange Line for much of the afternoon as the investigation continues.

Original post: Metro is single-tracking on the Orange Line after a report of a person being struck by a train at Dunn Loring Station. Trains are sharing the same track between Vienna and West Falls Church.

Metro reports that the station is closed. Officials did not know the condition of the victim.

By Michael Bolden  | June 16, 2010; 5:59 PM ET
Categories:  Metro, Orange Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. board adopts transportation plan
Next: MARC Brunswick Line crowding

Comments

Another attention starved person. If you want to kill yourself, do it on your own time and not inconvenience ANYONE else!

Posted by: BLKManCommonSense | June 16, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

These stories have become very old.

The front of each first car should have a cattle catcher installed so that attention-seeking suicides, drunks and idiots are pushed aside and off the tracks...and the trains can just keep rolling.

Posted by: checkered1 | June 16, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

historically, how horrendously do these events effect evening rush hour on the affected Line?

Posted by: Kdarienzo | June 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I can't even pretend to be sympathetic towards people who jump in front of on-coming Metro trains. I understand that depression is a terrible thing, but if you choose to end your life, please have some decency and exit the world quietly without harming others or disrupting one of the busiest Metro lines.

Also, consider those that may be traumatized by witnessing this.

I can't wait for my evening commute and the hellish bus ride between West Falls & Dunn Loring.

Posted by: klytaemnestra | June 16, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

From what I understand, many train operators involved in suicide-by-Metro suffer substantial trauma even though they have no chance to avert the death.

Posted by: jeff55b | June 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

i can't believe all you people think about is the delays this causes. yes, i know you have things to do and it's an inconvenience, but that is horribly insensitive. imagine how it would feel if you felt like you had NO OTHER OPTION except to kill yourself? how awful your life must be? yes yes, i know, it's selfish, blah blah blah. you obviously have no inkling of what suicide is about or what suicidal people go through. let go of your selfishness for one minute as you read this and at least feel bad that this man felt he had no other options. imagine if he was YOUR husband, father, relative, or friend... would you want people to sit and complain about what a 'delay' his death has caused in your daily commute?

Posted by: ehansen9 | June 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

RIP, poor soul... I wish you the peace you couldn't find in life :(

Posted by: sigmagrrl | June 16, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

ehansen9,

Honestly, I think the most selfish person involved in this entire situation is the person who committed suicide. As a detached party I don't consider myself selfish in finding his way of leaving this world unnecessary. If anyone should be considering how their loved ones should feel it was the man, himself. He should have considered such things before he took what is essentially the coward's way out and flung himself into the path of an oncoming train.

Essentially, he was a selfish coward. Many people who choose suicide as their only way out are. The fact that he willfully chose to disrupt the Metro rail just further proves how selfish and inconsiderate he was.

I had a psychology professor who studied various suicide archetypes and identified those who fling themselves in front of cars, trains, buses, et cetera were seeking some form of attention and also wished to harm others in the process.

My younger sister had a friend who at age 14 jumped in front of an oncoming car in front of two of her closest friends. She traumatized the driver of the vehicle, her two friends, the owner of the home in which it happened in front of sold her house because she couldn't take the memory of what had happened, not to mention the countless teenagers who had known this girl who spent the next year thinking about what she had done. This girl was a selfish, thoughtless idiot and this man is no better.

He gets no sympathy from me. His family, yes, but he was a coward and now my evening has also been ruined. Thanks for your concern. Go send some flowers to the family if you care so much.

Posted by: klytaemnestra | June 16, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

You know, if the guy realized YOU would be inconvenienced, surely he would have done something else.
As you're waiting on the platform today, why don't you count your blessings you self absorbed a$$?

Posted by: b-rad | June 16, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

klytaemnestra: as i said, you obviously have no idea what it is like to be suicidal. i'll admit it, neither do i - but i do not make judgements.

if you are suicidal enough to actually FOLLOW THROUGH with the act, you are NOT THINKING LOGICALLY. i agree with everything you said, regarding how it is selfish (to a logical mind, it is) and how it traumatizes others (it does) and how it hurts other people, not just yourself. i get that. HOWEVER, when you are suicidal enough to actually go through with your thoughts, these people literally, honestly think that they are doing the world a service by removing themselves from the picture. their brains have held them hostage inside that mindset. i also understand that some people commit suicide in ways that warrant attention - if you felt SO ALONE that you thought nobody would miss you if you died, wouldn't you want to die in a way that would merit at least a small level of attention, even if just by strangers?

i would just ask people who hear of this to think of the sadness involved with this act, not just the fact that it causes a small (yes, SMALL) inconvenience in your daily life. step back and take a look at the bigger picture. a man lost his life in an awful way. at least feel a shred of sadness before you feel frustrated by the inconvenience.

i ride the orange line as well.

Posted by: ehansen9 | June 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Jeff55b hit the nail on the head. How about a little sympathy to the driver of the train who helplessly watched it all unfold and is now traumatized?

Posted by: AlaskaMelts | June 16, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I remember years & years ago when a man held up traffic on both sides of the Woodrow Wilson bridge for hours. People were actually yelling at him to jump! Regardless of whether it was accidental or a suicide, I can acknowledge that it's a tragic lost of life but can anyone appreciate the plight of the daily commuter who just pulled a hard 10 hrs on the job & just wants to get home in time to spend a few drama free moments?

Posted by: rookiet247 | June 16, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Well said ehansen9

Posted by: b-rad | June 16, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Is Metro incompetant or is this blog running a little slow? Metro suggests (home page:3:50)a "disruption" at Dunn Loring, which suggests the station is open. The blog suggests station closed earlier at 3:08. This is a huge difference if you are going to Dunn Loring. I'll bet on the Post, but it is Metro's business to provide accurate and readily available updates. Heads need to roll.

Posted by: mbc7 | June 16, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

ehansen9,

Actually, I do. I suffered from clinical depression as a teenager to the point that some mornings I couldn't motivate myself to go to class, couldn't focus on anything but how horrible I perceived my existence to be, but then I grew up & realized that regardless of how bad I thought the situation was at the time it was temporary.

I've seen too many people kill themselves over needless, senseless, ridiculous things because they selfishly thought that whatever was going on that moment in time would never change.

I feel sadness over the fact that this happened and that someone so violently ended their life, but not necessarily for the individual. Suicides such as this have become all too common place in recent months. I've become desensitized so to speak and often the attention of one creates copy-cat suicides.

Personally, I couldn't imagine taking the Anna Karina way out of any situation regardless of how terrible an existence it had become, but I also don't see the point in potentially harming or scaring others which this person had to have considered at least a bit despite whatever mental state he may have been in.

So yes, I have sympathy for the situation, the tragic nature of the event, but I really don't have sympathy for the suicide, rather a type of pity albeit laced with a smattering of contempt.

Posted by: klytaemnestra | June 16, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

There are lots of facets to this story, including (as mentioned by several commenters) the man who jumped on the tracks and the train operator. But a key fact is that within the hour, thousands of commuters parked at Dunn Loring or connecting to a bus there will be heading for the Dunn Loring Metro station. It would be helpful to have updates with expected timetables for reopening. Providing shuttle buses from West Falls to Dunn Loring is useless; it would take dozens of buses to carry the passengers from just one train, and the trains run every few minutes. Metro needs a better system. In the meantime, useful and timely posting of information is critical.

Posted by: Anton23 | June 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Did he fall or was he pushed (or was he just clumsy and/or unlucky)?

Man, I'm so glad I ditched Metro for my car...

Posted by: tistyen | June 16, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It is simple lamontbrocking.
Some person thought "how can I mess up lamontbrocking's commute. I know I will jump in front of th METRO."
The world does not revolve around you lamontbrocking. There are actually other people in the world.

Posted by: mmad2 | June 16, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but suicide is really a very selfish act. It's just pushing one's own problems off onto somebody else, while the suicide is dead and doesn't have to worry about them any more.

Posted by: tistyen | June 16, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

My kids were on the front car in the front seats of the train that struck the man. The man did this intentionally. They could hear the conductor screaming as he tried to avert the incident and then trying to figure out what to do with the man under the train. If the police need witnesses, should my kids contact metro or whom?

Posted by: FairfaxMom3 | June 16, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

FairfaxMom3, I am so sorry for your kids! They did not need to deal with this. I hope they don't end up having nightmares over it. I wonder if it even occurred to the guy that there might be kids watching him.

As for whom to call, I would call Metro or possibly the Fairfax County Police.

Posted by: tistyen | June 16, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

FairfaxMom3, you might also want to get them counseling because even being a witness to something can cause Post Traumatic Stress and can come out in other ways later such as panic attacks and it can be hard to uncover why they are having them later on. You might want to get them in a Victim/Witness program for a while.

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | June 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your kindness. More than anything, they want to be sure that the conductor is never blamed. They could hear his screams of horror and his fear, and they want to make sure that no one ever blames him.

Posted by: FairfaxMom3 | June 16, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it wonderful to live in a free country where your last act can be to rape everyone else's afternoons and evenings?

A true patriot.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 16, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone watching the number of eight car trains on the orange line today? I would bet good money there will be fewer than normal, even with the massive delays.

WMATA: When you're in a hole, keep digging.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 16, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

FairfaxMom3, kudos to your kids for wanting to be sure the record is set straight. And I echo the suggestions to take advantage of some sort of counseling option, even if they don't seem like they need it--never underestimate the value of a safe, neutral space to work the weird stuff out, especially at that age.

Posted by: Stevis16 | June 16, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Here is a fascinating tidbit from all of this: the conductor screamed "Purple" over and over between screamig, "Oh my God!" and "Please, No!" I wonder if Purple is the code for hitting someone.

Posted by: FairfaxMom3 | June 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Life is what we collectively share, it is what, in the end, binds us together with all living things. So when one is so deeply disconnected from the power that is in life but is rather associated with pain created by emotion and disassociation the essence of being within (God), it is in that vein that we should all embrace and appreciate life even more.

Posted by: concernedaboutdc | June 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

ehansen9, I went through some very depressed periods when I was younger, to the point where I felt suicidal at times, yet whenever I contemplated actually doing it I always thought about how to do it without causing trouble that would just make everyone curse my memory even more (and jumping in front of the subway is a prime example of something that would infuriate many people out there). Obviously I've grown up a bit since then and, as "klytaemnestra" states, I understand now that anything depressing is temporary and will pass. I sympathize with anyone who goes through it. The mental distress is agonizing. But I have no sympathy for people who inconvenience everyone else when they kill themselves. Your beef is with your own life. Your self-loathing is targeted at yourself, not at everyone else. While of course one's family and friends will be traumatized if one actually kills oneself, there's no reason to have the indecency to take out one's sorrows on everyone who rides the Orange Line.

ehansen9, your second comment begins: "as [sic] i [sic] said, you obviously have no idea what it is like to be suicidal. i'll [sic] admit it, neither do i [sic] ...." Yet you then proceed to talk about what a suicidal person is thinking. If you have no idea what it's like, then you're not qualified to opine.

Posted by: 1995hoo | June 16, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but this is a selfish act by a selfish person. Psychologists can study it all they want after the fact, but I wish Metro would scrape the guy off of the windshield and get on with its rush hour service. I'm a lot more concerned about the lives of living people impacted/inconvenienced by this than I am about one dumb dead guy.

As soon as this guy hit the windshield, he stopped needing my sensitivity. Neither his family, nor the conductor, nor the witnesses, nor the commuters impacted by his selfish decision, deserve to suffer because of one person's selfish stupidity. The poor conductor sounds like he will be scarred for life. I feel much worse for him than I do for the jumper.

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | June 16, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I posted on another thread yesterday that a merciful society would have assisted suicide.
Your commute and the driver would not be impacted by a suicide's death. Too many people can only judge their happiness by other's pain so we will never allow a clean death. It is not a selfish act it is a desperate act.

Posted by: alterego3 | June 16, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Metro's response was beyond abyssmal. There were no announcements or any other indicators for the delays. Instead, union-protected employees just tossed everyone off at West Falls Church, creating a mob scene until a train finally arrived that did take passengers. What happened then was borderline chaos, perfectly in line with the total incompetence of everyone associated with this (third) "world class" piece of crap on wheels we call MetroRail. People jammed on a car that, it should come as no surprise, had broken air conditioning, giving everyone their own personal experience of what it must have been like to be transported to Dachau. The ride, of course, went at a snail's pace. Once at Vienna, all of the up-escalators were broken. Metro's "Johnny on the spot" response was to have an employee stand at the top of the down-escalators and do...NOTHING!!!! For the money they paid this bozo (apologies to professional clowns) to just stand there, MAYBE THEY COULD HAVE MADE SOME REPAIRS!!! After this, I'm convinced that a Metro employment application begins, "Do you claim imbecilic moron status?" Check "yes," and you have a job. Check "no," and you're excluded from any and all future attempts at D.C.-related employment.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | June 16, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

There are color codes operators use to communicate to central control when certain extreme actions take place. If you're ever able to look into the cab look for a multi-colored card stuck somewhere on the dash. Purple is indeed the code for a person struck by the train. I'm not 100% sure of the other conditions/codes, though I think there are 6 in total. Aside from customer struck, I know there's one for police situation.

Posted by: Mainland | June 16, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

My girlfriend who got off at Dunn Loring today right after the accident, spoke with a witness that was standing next to him when he jumped. He said that it was about a 20 year old young man that dropped his phone and jumped before jumping. Makes me wonder if he just was dumped by his girlfriend on the phone or maybe through a text message. Maybe he said he'll kill himself and she called his bluff, so he did it. Who knows?

Posted by: GeekTracker | June 16, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Metro Post follows. Of particular interest is the opening time 4:15 and the release 4:57. So people who check the web site think the station is closed. But it is open. This is gross inexcusable incompetance.

See above, the Post seems to have better information than Metro, but the Post is a newspaper and Metro is the news source.

Single-tracking through the station continues
The Dunn Loring-Merrifield Metrorail station on the Orange Line reopened at about 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 16, after a man was fatally struck by an inbound six-car train at about 1:15 p.m. The station was temporarily closed while emergency personnel responded to the scene.

Orange Line trains currently are sharing one track between the Vienna/Fairfax-GMU and West Falls Church Metrorail stations. In addition, Metro is providing free shuttle bus service between the Vienna/Fairfax-GMU, Dunn Loring-Merrifield and West Falls Church-VT/UVA Metrorail stations to help move customers around the incident. Normal service will resume once the tracks are cleared for service.

The preliminary police report indicates that the man intentionally placed himself in the path of the train.
News release issued at 4:57 pm, June 16, 2010

Posted by: mbc7 | June 16, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Mental illness is a very serious thing. No one tells a cancer victim to just go off and die without troubling anyone. Considering some of the incredibly insensitive remarks here, it's no wonder that more folks don't kill themselves here.

DC is an extremely stressful place to live in, full of self-important morons (like the 55+ woman on the metro today who was complaining of the hold up with the trains and in the next breath, whined about not having a personal printer at her desk anymore. The poor thing has to actually get up to get her print outs now. Poor baby.).

My heart goes out to the fellow's family, friends, and those who witnessed this tragedy.

Posted by: janeway1 | June 16, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I feel horrible for the train operator and anyone who had to witness this.

I know things like this aren't Metro's fault but there HAS to be a way they could come up with a better contingency plan than dumping THREE loaded trains in a row off in West Falls Church! This kind of existential meltdown just doesn't happen on other subway systems.

Posted by: mvm_ffx | June 16, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

And wtf was up with 6-car trains 8-10 minutes apart? That means they had so many trains out of commission that they could have run all 8-car trains for all of rush hours.

Metro Fail.

Posted by: fireball72 | June 16, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@hofbrauhausde

Comparing a METRO ride to a CATTLE CAR ride to DACHAU is not only ridiculous but also incredibly insensitive. As someone who lives on the orange line and had the " pleasure" of experience the metrofail today, I do not think that comparing today's crowded situation to the Holocaust is appropriate.

Posted by: DCDuchess100 | June 16, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

@hofbrauhausde

Posted by: DCDuchess100 | June 16, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

So, whatever happened to the Post's de facto policy of not publicizing Metro suicides (in order to prevent copycats)? That policy seems to have been over-ruled ever since the 6/22 Metro crash turned every WMATA incident into "big news."

And, predictably, copycat suicides have increased.

Posted by: kcx7 | June 16, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

fireball72: You asked, "And why does it take 5 or 6 hours to clear a corpse?" The answer: the corpse was not in one piece, and it was under and in the wheels and carriage of the train. Multiple parts had to picked out of the car's undercarriage, out of the rails (while carefully avoiding the electrified third rail) and THEN the clean-up could begin. Five or six hours is pretty damned fast work when you consider that they likely had to tweeze bits out of the wheels and they had to make sure all of the body parts were accounted for and could have spent hours searching for a finger, a toe or part of the skull.

Posted by: FairfaxMom3 | June 16, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if his name has been released yet? I can't find news articles about this anywhere.

Posted by: CFerrara1222 | June 17, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with fireball72, they should have been running all 8 car trains and cleaned up faster. They can turn off the feared third rail, you know. Suicides don't deserve tweezers.

As for DCDuchess100, Metro is only directly comparable to the holocaust if they gas you at the end of the line. To compare the trains, however, seems quite apt--especially given recent incidents where Metro Wouldn't Open Doors.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

hofbrauhausde wrote: "Metro's response was beyond abyssmal. There were no announcements or any other indicators for the delays."

==============

Based on the totality of your comment, including your comparing this inconvenience to the Holocaust, you must have a personal problem.

I ride the Orange Line from Farragut West to West Falls Church. I received a text warning, there was a news flash via email from the Washington Post, and there was a special announcement on the electronic signs in the station when I arrived. If you didn't get notification, you either have put yourself in an no-information bubble or are inattentive.

I thought, all in all, Metro did a decent job of dealing with this. Your extreme and exaggerated perspective tells me you'd be better off finding another way to and from whatever company has the misfortune of employing you. In fact, if you think Metro is so bad, why do you even ride it? But then, I guess if you were driving, you'd be complaining about the horrible road system or "third-world" traffic or restrictions on 66 or something else.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 17, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

hofbrauhausde, must be lying. According to Metro's website, all Vienna escalators are in service. Why should anyone question Metro (except for the whole Metro Lies and holds passengers hostage problem)?

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

fireball72 wrote: "And why does it take 5 or 6 hours to clear a corpse? Photograph the scene, take the body to the morgue, hose the scene down, and reopen. Shouldn't take more than one hour."

seraphina21 wrote: "I agree with fireball72... "

========================

Let me guess... everything you know about police work you learned on "CSI: Miami"?

Aside from what FairfaxMom3 pointed out that there's no "body" to simply pick up, there's far more work that goes into documenting the incident than just taking photos. Even if it appears to be a suicide, it must be treated as a crime scene -- a possible murder -- which means interviewing everyone who's a witness, viewing and collecting all surveillance video, taking precise measurements, getting data from the train, determining what the deceased was doing at the station prior to the incident, and more. Once that crime scene is re-opened to the public, any evidence may be tainted and may no longer be admissible in court.

Additionally, there are procedural requirements on the part of Metro for their own internal and insurance purposes. They have to protect themselves from any claims that they were negligent or responsible in some way.

It's amazing to me that people are so quick to post their "knowledge" about stuff they actually know nothing about.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 17, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow, you have to close an entire station just to interview a witness?

Go teabag yourself Andie.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I was on the station platform yesterday and watched, to my horror, the young man jump in front of the train. After collecting myself, I called 9-1-1 and ran to the front of the train to check on the operator. He was a mess! I feel very bad for the operator. I have wrestled with this notion of whether suicide is a selfish act. My initial impulse is that it is a very selfish act, but I counter this with the thought that if someone thinks that death is a better alternative than life, rational thought is no longer part of the equation.

Posted by: papacito_ltz | June 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow! The insensitivity and rudeness of this comment board is amazing. I watched the response of Metro, the Police and the various fire departments first hand yesterday. Everything was done in a very coordinated fashion, and everything that was done after the incident was done to preserve the site (a crime scene) and to insure the safety of the responders. Was I inconvenienced? YES!! I ended up returning home rather than going to work because I knew the rest of the commute was going to be a nightmare. Have some sensitivity for the responders and the protocol that they are required to adhere to when something like this happens. Life isn't all about your convenience or inconvenience.

Posted by: papacito_ltz | June 17, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Life isn't all about your convenience or inconvenience, it's about protocol, bureaucracy, and rape of the common person.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

seraphina21 wrote: "Wow, you have to close an entire station just to interview a witness? Go teabag yourself Andie."

================

Just to interview a witness? Try reading my entire post next time. And I'm guessing -- just a guess -- there was more than one witness.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 17, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

To Seraphina

You really are self centered and clearly live life as the "suffering victim". Go ahead and wallow in it. Life is what you make of it.

Posted by: papacito_ltz | June 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

papacito_ltz, join me at Dunn Loring this afternoon, we can jump together :)

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Andie, the point is that your litany of excuses doesn't justify closing a station for six hours. I don't dispute that the investigators will need to have dinner, use the bathroom, and hopefully shower at some time, but Metro doesn't have to close a station for six hours for any of those things.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

seraphina21 -- You're right, I'm wrong. Next.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Andrew53, you are right: there is no point in arguing further with a provocateur whose existence is validated by goading other people into responses by making idiotic and indefensible statements.

Posted by: papacito_ltz | June 17, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

how can all you people be so unsensitive?? this person that was killed was MY FRIEND. his family is going through enough pain as it is, they don't need people that don't know what they are talking about to make them feel worse. So if you are going to post some unsentimental garbage, then don't even bother posting anything.

Posted by: bermudezmirian93 | June 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

how can you people be so unsensitive?? This person that died was MY FRIEND, he was a loving careing person, so please if ur going to comment some unsentimental garbage, then don't even bother commenting at all.

Posted by: bermudezmirian93 | June 17, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

bermudezmirian93 wrote: "how can you people be so unsensitive?? This person that died was MY FRIEND"

============================

Many of us do care. Ignore the ones who don't; they aren't worth your energy. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you have good supportive people around you.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 17, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

A loving, careing (SIC) person doesn't take action to ruin everyone else's evening by splattering himself across their commutes. A self-absorbed friend to noone does that.

At the very least, he should have found a way to qualify himself for a Darwin Award.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

THIS MAN WAS THE MAN THAT I WANTED TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH HE WAS A FATHER TO MY SON AND MY SON WAS NOT EVEN HIS THE STUPED ECONOMY AND LAWS LEAD HIM TO DO WHAT HE DID.HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE DELAYS AND PROBLEMS IT WILL CAUSE WAT IF IT WAS YOUR LOVED ONE.I LOVE HIM SO MUCH AND WHEN I DINT SEE HIM TODAY NEXT TO ME LIKE EVERYDAY..... HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND MY LOVER MY EVERYTHING AND A STUPID FIGHT A FIGHT THAT WE HAD MADE HIM GO TO THE EDGE HE WAS A STRAIGHT A STUDENT AT SANFORD BROWN COLLEGE BUT BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY HE FELT LIKE HE HAD NO WAY OUT. HE SENT ME A TXT BEFORE HE JUMPED SAYING "IM AT DUNNLORING WAITING FOR THE NEXT TRAIN TO KILL MYSELF" THIS WAS 2 MINUTES BEFORE HE JUMPED I NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO TELL HIM ANYTHING I FEEL LIKE IM GUILTY AND I WAS AT DUNNLORING METRO STATION TODAY 6/17/2010 AND I WAS WALKING IN THE SIDE OF THE RAIL BECAUSE I WANTED TO FEEL CLOSE TO HIM I WANTED TO KNOW WHY? UNTIL 2 WORKERS AT THE STATION STOPED ME THINKING THAT I MIGHT JUMP INFRONT OF THE TRAIN BUT I WASNT THIS IS SERIOUS AND IM GLAD THESE WORKERS SPOKE OUT TO ME AND EXPLAIN TO ME A LITTLE OF WHAT HAD HAPPENED THAT IS ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WHY MY LOVE DID IT AND TOOK HIS LIFE AWAY BUT SINCE HE IS NOT HERE I WILL SAY AND STAND UP FOR HIM SO PLEASE LET HIM REST IN PEACE AND STOP BEEING SELFISH THINKING ABOUT HOW MANY DELAYS THIS CAUSE BECAUSE IM SURE IF IT WOULD OF BEEN YOU HUSBAND YOUR LOVE YOU WOULDNT BE SAYING ALL THIS YOU WOULD BE CRYING TRYING TO CLEAR HIS NAME OF EVERYONE THAT CALLED HIM SELFISH JUST LIKE I AM BECAUSE HE WAS A SMART, FUNNY, CARRING, LOVING MEN THAT ALL HE WANTED WAS TO BE A CITIZEN,HAVE A JOB AND MAKE A FAMILY WITH ME.THE ECONOMY TOOK THE BEST OUT OF HIM AND ENDED HIS LIFE.....

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

TO ALL

THANK YOU ALL THAT ARE NOT UNSENSITIVE AND ACTUALLY HAVE THE HEART TO KNOW THAT OTHERS MORN THIS DEATH OF A LOVED ONE MY HUSBAND

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

TO :papacito_ltz

PLEASE EMAIL ME BERMUDEZ.JENNIFER@GMAIL.COM

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEND EXACTLY PLEASE I WAS HIS GIRL

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

TO :papacito_ltz

PLEASE EMAIL ME BERMUDEZ.JENNIFER@GMAIL.COM

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEND EXACTLY PLEASE I WAS HIS GIRL

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

TO: GeekTracke
I WAS AND HE TXTED ME BEFORE HE JUMPED 2 MIN. BEFORE HE SENT ME A TXT SAYING HE WAS GOING TO HE HAD DONE THAT FOR BOUT AN HOUR I DINT KNOW WHAT TO DO I TXT BACK HE WOULD KEEP SAYING IMA KILL MYSELF AND WE HAD A ARGUMENT BEFORE THAT

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

TO: GeekTracke

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

TO: klytaemnestra

KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF MY HUSBAND WAS NOT A SELFISH COWARD LIKE YOU CALL HIM HE WAS A LOVING PARENT TO A SON THAT WASNT HIS BUT UNFORTUNATLY HE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS AND AS A YOUNG BOY GROWING UP IN AFRICA WITHA WAR SO KEEP YOU LOW DOWN COMMENTS TO YOUR SELF AND STOP TALKING BOUTT HE MAN THAT I LOVED

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

TO:CFerrara1222

LET ME KNOW WHAT NEWS ARTICLES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT I KNOW HIS NAME BUT I WILL NOT SAY UNTIL THE MEDIA HAS IT

Posted by: bermudezjennifer | June 17, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

To bermudezjennifer --- Please find some counseling help or therapy, unless you are absolutely sure you can handle this with your family or friends. There are many professionals available through services in Fairfax County or wherever you are.

Also, I really don't want to call attention to seraphina21, because that's obviously what she wants -- but seriously, give NO energy or thoughts to her comments. It's bad enough to write what she wrote when she didn't know a loved one of your guy is on here -- it's another thing to comment as she has knowing you're reading. She is clearly a total low-life, piece of scum who has some kind of sickness in her mind. For her to point out your misspelling at a time like this (not to mention she doesn't know how to spell) just goes to show that she's a hateful person who doesn't deserve the air she breathes.

If you would like to get counseling, I know someone who handles emergency suicide cases -- she couldn't counsel you but should know someone you could contact. I'll send you a message to your gmail address.

Posted by: Andrew53 | June 18, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse