Orange and Blue Line delays

Mark Berman

8:50 A.M. UPDATE:

The delays have been cleared on the Orange and Blue Lines.

8:15 A.M. UPDATE:

The delays remain on the Orange and Blue Lines, which should be absolutely wonderful for a lot of people heading to work.

8 A.M. UPDATE:

McPherson Square has reopened to travelers entering and exiting the station. However, Orange and Blue Line delays are expected in both directions.

7:45 A.M. UPDATE:

The smoke was due to an overheated light ballast in the station, according Deputy D.C. Fire Chief Ken Crosswhite. The firefighters were dispatched at 7:11 a.m. and are ventilating the station. Electricity to the light fixture has been disconnected, and they are leaving the station momentarily.

7:30 A.M. UPDATE:

The Post's David Marino-Nachison reports that riders are being allowed off of trains at McPherson Square, but they aren't allowed to board trains there. And the station is hazy and smells. There are firefighters on the platform.

ORIGINAL POST:

The D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services just Tweeted that they are investigating smoke at the McPherson Square station. It is possible it was an overheated light figure, and they are isolating electrical power. More as it develops...

By Mark Berman  | June 9, 2010; 7:24 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories, Metro  | Tags:  mcpherson square, metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orange Line delays
Next: New phase on 14th St. Bridge

Comments

What a great commute this morning on the Orange Line. Was in a hot car, and the train kept holding for "schedule adjustments" because a train behind it was experiencing mechanical problems. Then, just outside of McPherson, the conductor announced that there was an emergency situation at McPherson that was being resolved. We were allowed to exit the train at McPherson. There was a strong smoky odor in the station. When I got to the top of the platform escalator, I could see hazy smoke in the tunnel on the side going towards Farragut. A number of DC firefighters were going down towards the platform and entering the station as I left it. There were quite a few emergency vehicles on 13th Street.

Posted by: NovaCath1 | June 9, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Can't get any better. First I wait @ the train station for about 15min for a train. Train was @ full capacity...Standing room only, and that was @ Addison rd. station. The conductor of the train was rude, very rude. by the time we get to McPherson I could smell the smoke. I need to hurry and invest in a vehicle quick.

Posted by: FiredUp72 | June 9, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, I have had my fill of WMATA! This is by far the worst train system that I have encountered in my ENTIRE life!!! When I have to make routine home adjustments to get on the train to still arrive to work late; some other forms of transportation on my part is needed. The service that they provide is ridiculous & every year they're looking for more $$$ and remains inferior when it comes to service. A car is defintely being sought in coming months...

Posted by: DMVinsider | June 9, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Today was the third day in the past week that I experienced a major commuting delay on the Orange Line. Last Friday, the train was held up for 45 minutes near Clarendon. On Monday there was the usual nonsense with too many trains trying to merge at Rosslyn. Today, my train was held up at Ballston. But today at least the train operator gave a clear account of what was happening. When he said that some eastbound trains on the Orange Line were being sent back toward Vienna, I got off the train and took the 38B bus to Georgetown. No such information was offered last Friday.

Posted by: tapawingo | June 9, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Commute from Clarendon (I arrived at the station at 8:07 by my watch -- the station clock is out) was absolutely miserable. Got to work at 9:18.

Though I did manage to get on the 2nd train at Clarendon, not counting the one that was holding with doors open when I got there. That's an improvement over yesterday, when I had to wait for the 4th.

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 9, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Got offloaded at Foggy Bottom. Took two buses to get to Archives. Two more trains to get to work. Morning commute total: 2 hours. And WMATA wants to raise fares?

Posted by: kraljica | June 9, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't anyone reporting on the smoke at the U Street station this morning? At around 8:30am, I boarded a train only to see smoke rising from underneath the car, so immediately got off. They then offloaded the train. I could see a cloud of smoke when I was leaving the station as well. Very scary and yet there has been nothing reported on the incident.

Posted by: sara2121 | June 9, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse