Did you 'Dump the Pump' today?

Transportation agencies around the region are observing, Dump the Pump Day, an effort to get Americans to make more use of mass transit.

The downtown Circulator is free today, and Metro is sponsoring a contest for people to guess rail ridership today.

Did you dump the pump, or did you drive? Post a comment below.

By Michael Bolden  | June 17, 2010; 8:59 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Amtrak considers new N.E. tunnel
Next: Share your commuting stories

Comments

Of course I drove. If and when Metro returns to the safe, convenient, reliable, well-run system I remember from the 80s and early 90s, I'll return to Metro. In the meantime, I'll drive.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I drove as well. My commute was in the typical 20-30 minute range versus the 40-85 minute range on Metro.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I take the Metro anyway, so it's not like I did anything unusual.

I will say, though: today was the first time in months that I had a smooth, uneventful, reasonable-length ride. Took me by surprise. Also the Orange Line was less crowded than usual so I don't think "dump the pump" worked, heh.

Posted by: EtoilePB | June 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Sure I drove today, not that anyone made this dump the pump day and advanced notice. Also, Metro just whats money for the higher fees they are getting. I will caught the Circular at lunch to go to Eastern Market or Cap Hill.

Posted by: ggant | June 17, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

40-85 minutes? That's quite a range. Where are you commuting from/to?

I took the metro, since I don't have a car. But these fare increases will cause me to recalculate whether the cost/benefit for me has swung to buying a car. I think it has.

Posted by: jiji1 | June 17, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I drove as usual. And I pumped gas, because my tank was low. Oh well.

Posted by: thetan | June 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I drove. Mass transit doesn't go where I needed to go.

Posted by: ceebee2 | June 17, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

If mass transit doesn't go where you need to go, you need to go somewhere else! People are so selfish.

Posted by: seraphina21 | June 18, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@seraphina21--

Unless you know everything about my circumstances, you don't have any business making that judgment.

Posted by: ceebee2 | June 18, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse