Tolls set for first segment of ICC

Cars using the Intercounty Connector's first 5.5. mile segment will pay $1.45 during morning and afternoon rush hours (6- 9 a.m. and 4-7 p.m); $1.15 during off-peak hours, and 60 cents from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., but truckers will pay much more, Maryland transportation officials said Friday.

The tolls for six-axle trucks will be $10.60 during rush hour, $8.50 in off-peak hours and $4.25 overnight. The ICC's first segment connecting I-270 near Gaithersburg to Georgia Avenue is expected to open later this year. Eventually, the 16-mile toll road will connect Gaithersburg and Laurel.

-- Miranda S. Spivack

ICC tolls most expensive in area | ICC construction behind schedule | Complete ICC coverage |

By Michael Bolden  | June 11, 2010; 9:57 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting, Highways
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I-395 North slow at 14th St Bridge
Next: Huge delays on Rte. 50 in Md.

Comments

I was under the impression that the first segment actually ran from I-370 to Georgia Ave. Is I-370 now going to be included in as part of MD 200 and tolled? Hopefully not!

Posted by: AL2582 | June 11, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"Is I-370 now going to be included in as part of MD 200 and tolled?"

---

I checked the MDOT press release:

And the official public notice:

According to MDOT, the beginning of the ICC is still "I-370 at Shady Grove Road." There is no indication whatsoever that the existing stretch of I-370 will be tolled.

Posted by: HydroxCookies | June 11, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

It would be illegal for MD to toll I-370 without special approval from the Feds (there is a ban on tolling existing interstate highways without special permits).

Posted by: thetan | June 11, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

CANNOT WAIT to drive on this road!!! But the truck tolls seem excessive -- probably won't get much revenue cause trucks will stay on Route 28 and 198! They can't toll I-370 due to federal ban on tolling post-1956 interstates -- GO CONGRESS!!

Posted by: commuter1971 | June 11, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

When does it open?!?! So excited that northern Silver Spring, Norbeck & Olney will be accessible to the rest of the world

Posted by: commuter1971 | June 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

suckers

Posted by: OldSalt8 | June 11, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@OldSalt8

"suckers"

Some sour grapes from one of the stubborn ICC opponents who still hate the fact they LOST.

Tell you what, pal. I'll GLADLY pay a toll to drive the ICC. Once it opens, the 1.5 hour trip to my doctor via the 95/495/270/Route28 horseshoe will be down to about 25 minutes via the ICC. Ditto for the trip to take my car to the dealer for service.

My time is worth the few dollars. Now, if your time isn't valuable, that's your problem and no one else's.

Posted by: ceefer66 | June 11, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse