Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

Yellow and Blue lines moving again

Update 5:30pm: The stalled train has been moved and residual delays abated.

Original post: Trains are single-tracking between Pentagon City and Arlington Cemetery due to a train immobilized outside Pentagon--a tie-up sure to cause complications during the Friday night rush.

One rider on Twitter indicated the problem may have had to do with passengers jamming doors.

By Luke Rosiak  | July 16, 2010; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  Blue Line, Metro, Yellow Line  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fliers: We can fix Metro's escalators
Next: Headaches on the horizon


Can't Metro hire some union thugs to pull door jammers off the train or machete their limbs off?

Think Outside the Box

Posted by: jiji1 | July 16, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

And I was stuck at Crystal City for about an hour waiting for Metro to not only get a train to service the station, but also 45 minutes waiting for the station to actually tell us what the hell was going on.

After standing on the platform for 30 minutes, Metro finally alerted us that the issue was a "train malfunction" at Pentagon which "has been resolved" and that trains were moving in both directions. This was exactly 9 minutes after four trains (one blue, three yellow) came through to service the other side of the station.

After another 15 minutes, and several more announcements that the "issue has been resolved" Metro finally told the Largo side of the station that a blue line train would arrive in approximately 7 minutes.

The train arrived 10 minutes later. Of course once we all pack onto the train (it left Crystal City full) the operator felt obliged to tell everyone at Pentagon City and then Pentagon that he was closing the doors and that there was a train behind ours. Of course, there was no time estimates being provided either by the operator or the status boards at the stations. Since nobody had any idea when that next train would arrive, they continued to try to climb onto the only train they had - ours.

And true to Metro policy, after Pentagon, the operator didn't make any more announcements about following trains. So people at Arlington Cemetery piled onto the train.

I'm amazed the train made it, not because of all the people on it but because from the way Metro describes it whenever a passenger so much as touches the doors on the cars they break. We had people crammed against those doors, I was one of them.

Just for giggles, once I got to Vienna, I asked the Station Manager "Don't you think I'm entitled to a refund for my trip since it took me almost two hours to get to Vienna?"

His answer: Nope. You got here didn't you? We don't make promises about when you get here.

Posted by: mika_england | July 16, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company