Blue and Orange Line delays

Mark Berman

8:30 A.M. UPDATE:
Now Metro is reporting that the delays have been cleared. If you experience any residual delays, let us know in the comments!

7:50 A.M. UPDATE:
Metro reports that the situation has been resolved, but delays continue in both directions.

7:45 A.M. UPDATE:
There is no fire at Metro Center, according to the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Twitter account. Light smoke on the mezzanine stemmed from an electrical issue in a switch room. The fire officials are leaving and Metro electricians are on the scene.

ORIGINAL POST:
A report of smoke at Metro Center is causing major delays on the Blue and Orange lines. Trains are sharing the same track between Federal Triangle and McPherson Square. Delays in both directions.

---
User photos: The D.C. Metro system has been plagued with broken escalators, overcrowded trains and faulty equipment. Send us photos of your Metro experience.

By Mark Berman  | July 14, 2010; 7:33 AM ET
Categories:  Advisories, Metro  | Tags:  metrorail delays
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MARC delays
Next: Share your commuting stories

Comments

so glad I gave up on metro and drive in now. Dont have to be stuck in delays on the orange crush and dont have to be soaked in sweat by the time I arrive at the office either! win win!

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | July 14, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I was one of many commuters 'inconvenienced' by Metro this morning... again.

After standing on an increasingly crowded six-car train at Vienna this morning for over 20 minutes, a driver finally got onto the train and sat there for another 10 minutes before it was announced that there was a track fire between Metro Center and McPherson Square.

During this entire time, there were NO announcements from the station manager, there was NO update shown on the platform level message boards (they were, as usual, blank).

Posted by: mika_england | July 14, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Mika, you were had. They kept you waiting 30 minutes to leave..... for Old-Fashioned Metro Stink.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 14, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I passed through metro Center at about 8:35 and I can't say I had a problem otehr than my train maybe running a few minutes slower than usual. Came in from Landover and things seemed fine. Not even a big crowd on the platform.

Posted by: EricS2 | July 14, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I took Metro today so I could get to work early. (HA!)

Arrived at Clarendon at 7:58 to find an absolute mob scene on the platform. Managed to cram my way onto train #6 that came through. Couldn't make out the PA announcements because they always came when trains were coming through.

Got to Metro Center at 8:35 and it was fine there; got to Silver Spring at 9:05. (Got to my office desk at 9:15; if I'd carpooled with my husband, leaving home at 8:30, I'd get to my desk at 9:25. This is why I don't take Metro daily anymore.)

Posted by: EtoilePB | July 14, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The other fun part of the commute was that when we arrived at Dunn Loring, the driver announced to everyone on the platform that a another train right behind us would be arriving shortly. Of course when we left Vienna, that train was just as crowded as the one I was on.

Then, when we arrived at East Falls Church, the driver announced to the platform that a new train was being put into service at West Falls Church to accommodate passengers.

And that was the last announcement regarding following trains made from that point until I got off at Rosslyn. So, from Ballston to Rosslyn not a single announcement regarding trains behind the overcrowded one we were on was made, so people not knowing their alternatives felt obligated to force their way onto ours.

This is the other thing about Metro: They decide to do something, then halfway along the ride they stop doing it.

Metro - We're halfway to doing everything half-assed.

Posted by: mika_england | July 14, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Right there with you all, got to the EFC station at 7:50 and then waited as two crammed trains rolled through (in my two months since moving here I've never had to wait for a second train at EFC), the second driver announced that there was another train right behind him, that train was much less packed but got packed quickly down the line as all of the other passed over customers crammed on. It was then stop and go the rest of the way to Metro Center. There was also an abnormally large crowd waiting for Silver Spring destined Red Lines.

Posted by: Mainah32 | July 14, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Ms1995hoo said that she got to Van Dorn at about 8:10 and that the platform was jammed, but that she got to work on time by 9:00 AM. Given that most mornings lately have seen train delays such that she's been late to work, I suppose the crowding is the better scenario.

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 14, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse