Delays on the Red Line due to heat

4:50 p.m. Update: Metro is slowing trains through the area due to the kink between New York Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue stations. A press release said that the heat kinks can "form when overheated tracks expand and cannot be constrained by the cross ties and ballast support the track."

4:45 p.m. Update: According to Metro spokeswoman, Lisa Farbstein the problem is a "heat kink' in the section of track.

Original post: A track problem between New York Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue stations is causing delays in both directions of the Red Line as we head into the busiest time of the evening commute.

Are you experiencing the delays? E-mail us at transportation@washpost.com.

By Michael Bolden  | July 6, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Metro, Red Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I-95/395 lane times adjusted
Next: 20-30 min. MARC delays

Comments

Sounds kinky

Posted by: kenk3 | July 6, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Even with a broken-down tour bus, a fender-bender in the middle of the road, AND a cyclist who almost killed himself by running a red light, I got home quicker than I would have on Metro, and my car was blissfully air-conditioned all the way home. Thank you, Henry Ford (although I drive a Hyundai).

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 6, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

and you contributed to the reason for the Bad Air Alert!

Posted by: Hattrik | July 6, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

and you contributed to the reason for the Bad Air Alert!

Posted by: Hattrik | July 6, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

After more than 25 years of taking Metro, I feel absolutely no guilt in finally driving my car! You can have my seat on the train.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 6, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Why do the metro tracks in D.C. form "heat kinks" while you never hear about these things in other locations, such as regular trains or other cities' subway tracks?

Posted by: JeffreyW75 | July 7, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse