Most Foggy Bottom escalators back in service

Mark Berman

Depending on Escalators | The ups and downs of Metro |

Metro brings in escalator consultant | Outages

12:20 p.m.: The current disruption log shows one escalator out between the street and mezzanine.

8:30 a.m. p.m. Update: It's quite a scrum at Foggy Bottom. We're following the #WMATA hashtag on Twitter and lots of tweets out there about the difficulty getting out of the station. @peroty tweeted this photo reportedly from the scene at the station.

Original post: All of the entrance escalators are out of service at the Foggy Bottom station. Shuttle bus service has been requested and the station is still open.

By Mark Berman  | July 2, 2010; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  Metro  | Tags:  foggy bottom metro, metro escalators
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MARC trains running late
Next: Going to the beach? Well, maybe you should wait

Comments

Well well, here is the funny thing, you see this huge line waiting to take the escalator and NOBODY complains, absolutely silent. Then one guys complain and I hear the general manager says “go to Branch Avenue with your complain”. What was the complain? “The more we pay the less services is provided”.

Here is my though, if the escalator are not working, let it be like that especially in rush hour, who in the right mind is going to approve to work on that time when people have to go to work. And if the escalator won’t work, let the people climb it, if somebody can’t climb it take the elevator, that’s why is there. I didn’t hear anybody else complain, they are waiting like mouse for the cheese, one at a time.
The new interim manager seems is there for a paycheck only, since I haven’t seen any management difference between Catoe and Sarles. The board of director also, they are there for a position name and that’s it. In other words as long there is not a real management change all this INCOMPETENT people I mentioned will continue to just DON’T CARE .

Posted by: jbmulder | July 2, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I call a good day a 4-escalator day, when I only have to climb or descend 4 escalators between arriving at Eastern Market and departing at McPherson Square. A truly awesome day is an 8-escalator day, when all 8 I have to ride (round trip) are all working. I remember having an 8-escalator day once, back in the '90s.

Posted by: kbockl | July 2, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

What's up with the noticeable transit police presence at Dupont this morning? It seemed like there was an armed officer stationed on the platform alongside nearly every car. I hadn't read/seen anything about a security drill, etc. scheduled. At first I thought they were all getting on the cars, but they just seemed to be observing the inside of the train cars from the platform.

Posted by: DC84 | July 2, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

This is interesting to me. Ms1995hoo commutes via Metro to Foggy Bottom and if the escalators are out, she always grumbles about it in an e-mail to me when she gets to work. Today she didn't mention any outage; in fact, she said the Metro was "fine" today (which is not something I've heard her say in a while). I wonder if they were fixed by about 8:50 or so?

(I note that Mr. Berman's post appears to contain a typo in that it says "8:30 p.m. update"; I assume this was meant to say "8:30 a.m.")

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 2, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Foggy Bottom is the station that people use to get to and from GWU Hospital and its MFA physicians' officers, so having working escalators and elevators at that station is particularly important for the elderly and infirm. Not that Metro cares about THAT, of course.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 2, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I asked Ms1995hoo about it because she didn't mention it and she said that one escalator was out, but she didn't think it was a big deal because there were far fewer people on the trains than usual this morning due to the long weekend. I guess if you have to have an escalator out, today's a good day, although I know the Foggy Bottom ones are a perpetual problem.

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse