Metrobus in accident in Silver Spring

metrbus.JPG

July 8 Update: The Post's Michael S. Williamson snapped this photograph of a Metrobus that wound up in a yard in Silver Spring. Montgomery County police are investigating.

3:55 p.m. Update: The bus was out of service and wasn't operating on any particular route, Metro officials said.

3:25 p.m. Update: WUSA9 has posted a photo that shows a Metro bus with the front of it smashed in.

2:30 p.m. Update: A Metro bus that was not carrying passengers struck a vehicle in Silver Spring at about 12:45 p.m., before coming to a stop in a residential yard.

A passenger in a vehicle that was struck by the bus was hurt and transported to a nearby hospital, but the injuries were non-life-threatening, according to Metro spokesman Reggie Woodruff. The bus operator was not injured. However, the bus suffered "significant damage" and will be towed to a bus facility for repairs, Woodruff said. He said Montgomery County police are investigating the accident.

-- Ann Scott Tyson

1:40 p.m. Update: Montgomery Couny Fire/EMS spokesman Capt. Oscar Garcia said emergency crews responded to a report of a Metro bus rear-ending a vehicle, which then traveled across several lanes into an embankment. The bus operator and driver of the vehicle are being evaluated, he said.

More details soon.

Original post: A Metrobus has been involved in an accident at Colesville Road and Woodmoor Circle in Silver Spring, Metro confirms.

The agency is currently trying to get additional details. Stay with The Post for more information.

By Michael Bolden  | July 8, 2010; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Maryland, Metro, Metrobus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Line delays cleared
Next: Street closures in Columbia Heights

Comments

Until you have a bad experience with Metro, you really can't comprehend how bad things are. In this pat year, I've had a mirror taken off my car from a bus flying down the street. Then, my car was totaled my a bus on the same street. Both times, my car was parked. They are aware that these drivers are driving too fast and inexperienced, however, nothing is being corrected. Ironically, two days after my car was hit, the same type of accident occured on Colesville Rd. Who pays for these mistakes, we do in the fare hikes. And of course it takes them a year to admit liability.

Posted by: mayahouston | July 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Until you have a bad experience with Metro, you really can't comprehend how bad things are. In this pat year, I've had a mirror taken off my car from a bus flying down the street. Then, my car was totaled by a bus on the same street. Both times, my car was parked. They are aware that these drivers are driving too fast and inexperienced, however, nothing is being corrected. Ironically, two days after my car was hit, the same type of accident occured on Colesville Rd. Who pays for these mistakes, we do in the fare hikes. And of course it takes them a year to admit liability.

Posted by: mayahouston | July 7, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The buses in Silver Spring really are terrifying at times. I've nearly been hit several times (while legally crossing when I had a green light, and the bus had a red), and I've seen the same thing happen many more times over. We've also had a number of extremely close calls in the car, including this morning when a bus changed lanes in front of us without signaling, slowing, or behaving as if there might be another vehicle on the road. This is ad, but not surprising.

(And @mayahouston above, a co-worker of mine lost her side mirror to a bus, too -- at which point the driver stopped the bus and started swearing at her!)

Posted by: EtoilePB | July 7, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Sweet jimminee. The "out of service" Metrobuses are the worst. I don't know why the drivers are in such a hurry. Is WMATA allowed to put data loggers in their buses to keep tabs on aggressive driving?

Posted by: oak07022010 | July 8, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Metro hasn't even bothered to issue a press release about this incident. Do they think that, if only one person is injured and very little disruption results, the public doesn't need or want to know about runaway buses?

P.S. Nice photo, Mr. Williamson.

Posted by: sburban | July 8, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse