Share your HOV experiences

Police have been stepping up high-occupancy vehicle enforcement today in their second "Capitol Region HOV Awareness Day." "Our first HOV Awareness Day in the Capitol region was well received by many Northern Virginians and Marylanders who are fed up with the blatant abuse of HOV lanes," said Capt. Tracy Russillo, of the Virginia State Police Fairfax Division. Have you seen--or been caught in--the enforcement? Are you fed up with those who do cheat? Share your experiences in the comments below.

State police from Maryland and Virginia, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police and authorities from Fairfax and Arlington counties will all participate in the effort during morning and evening rush hours.

Virginia police will focus on Interstates 66, 95, 395 and the Dulles Toll Road. Maryland State Police will target Interstates 270 and 495. Virginia State Police also plan to increase interstate patrols for speeders and aggressive drivers in the region.

Authorities said the first Capitol Region HOV Awareness Day in May resulted in two fugitives being arrested and more than 1,200 violations being cited.

"Disregard for HOV lane regulations will not be tolerated in either state. This multi-agency initiative is strictly about keeping traffic moving safely through the Capitol region for everyone's benefit," Capt. Tracy Russillo said.

-- Staff reports

By Michael Bolden  | July 21, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Advisories, Commuting, Driving, Maryland, Northern Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local flyer recounts turbulence
Next: U-Va., INOVA to study older drivers

Comments

It mystifies me why a) they announce this ahead of time (lets tip everyone off)and b) why this is news. Shouldn't they be doing this everyday?

Posted by: shackleton | July 21, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

HOV lanes should be eliminated. It is NEVER enforced. NEVER. Oh, and btw, why is it that my tax money paid for these lanes, yet I am forbidden from using them? My transportation plan calls for the abolishment of HOV, and that ALL tractor trailers be limited to far right hand lanes ONLY - EVER. No passing. Right hand lane only.I've got no problem with trucks, except that they are the main cause of all delays and back-ups because they cannot get up to speed after slowing in traffic or coming to a stop. Set up Truck/Car lanes like on the Jersey Turnpike instead of stupid Hotlanes (another waste of my tax money). HOV is an embarrassing failure, and the trucks gotta get out of the main lanes.

Posted by: mkosch | July 21, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I've only been here a couple months but I've already developed a hatred of the HOV high ways. 66 west is HOV-2 during the evening rush hour which is when I'd like to use it to head out of town for weekends so I sit around and wait for it to be over and then leave (I'm trying a new ticket-free life style). It's dumb and randomly enforced. They should just go.

Posted by: Mainah32 | July 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see a wiff of enforcement on 66 this morning. The fact that people still constantly do this is proof that enforcement is neither rigid nor penalizing enough.

Posted by: DragonofAnger | July 21, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see any HOV enforcement in the HOV-2 lane on US-1 in Old Town this morning. But then, there's almost never any enforcement on there. I should note that I was heading to the courthouse on King Street and thus did not go all the way up US-1, so there may have been enforcement further north. Usually when the cops are out there they're between Prince and King, though, probably because there's a little more room there to pull over violators.

As far as mkosch's post goes, I don't understand the following sentence: "Oh, and btw, why is it that my tax money paid for these lanes, yet I am forbidden from using them?" You're not forbidden from using them, unless you have a two-seater car and you want to use the HOV-3 lanes on Shirley Highway during the restricted hours. Otherwise, just get the requisite number of people in your car and away you go.

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 21, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

At ~6:45am today, police had a bunch of cars pulled over at the HOV exit for I-95N/7900 (Franconia-Springfield Pkwy)

Posted by: mrwrinkle | July 21, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

This is not an HOV issue, but it is worth calling to the attention of I95 authorities. Shortly after leaving the HOV lanes southbound last night about 930pm headed to Fredericksburg, the signs said "congestion ahead, expect major delays". Another sign at Garrisonville rd repeated the warning. Because traffic was light, I decided to risk it, finally getting off at Stafford ct airport. Nowhere was there any congestion. Did somebody just forget to turn off the lights before they went home?

Posted by: rkthomas2mriscom | July 21, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

1995hoo - I drive from Hagerstown to Rockville. Carpooling is not really an option for me. Besides, I don't want anyone in the car with me. And I don't like the government telling me where I can drive and forcing me (!) to carry unrelated persons in my car at the risk of an accident and subsequent liability.

Posted by: mkosch | July 21, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

mkosch, then it sounds like it's a personal beef on your part that keeps you out of HOV lanes, rather than anyone forbidding you from using them. If you don't like the government telling you where you can drive, then you probably ought to go on a crusade against one-way streets, since you can't drive on those if you're going in the wrong direction.

Since I live near I-395, I've observed the traffic on there many times and I shudder to think of how things might back up if all the people riding in the express lanes with 3 or more people per car were out in the local lanes in single-occupant cars. (I suppose it's fair to acknowledge that the HOV facility on that road is somewhat unique in the DC area due to its barrier-separated and reversible nature, both of which make it more successful than the left-lane HOV facilities on I-66 or I-270. HOV definitely doesn't work everywhere.)

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"I drive from Hagerstown to Rockville. Carpooling is not really an option for me. Besides, I don't want anyone in the car with me. And I don't like the government telling me where I can drive and forcing me (!) to carry unrelated persons in my car at the risk of an accident and subsequent liability."

How is the government "forcing" you to put unrelated people in your car? You don't have to car pool if you don't want to (which you obviously don't), but then you have to drive in the normal lanes.

"But that's not fair!" Well sorry, life is not fair, get over it.

You have plenty of options, you choose what you want. Don't live so far away from work. Move to a location where you don't have to take 270. Form a carpool with co-workers, neigbors, or others so you can use HOV. Take the MARC train. Buy a helicopter and fly to work. Or just keep driving by yourself. Your choice, but quit whining.

Posted by: lagriesbauer | July 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"But that's not fair!" Well sorry, life is not fair, get over it.

Posted by: lagriesbauer | July 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

whining about whining

classy animals we have here today

Posted by: jiji1 | July 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I wrote this same point on another Dr. Gridlock blog - but they should not be able to completely stop traffic on the interstate like this. Cops are on the exit/entrance ramps of I66 everyday. There is no reason they can't stick with that on "sting" days. This is the 2nd time I've been travelling 55MPH down 66 and suddenly hit a wall of traffic. It's dangerous. And time consuming. It was a wasted 10 minutes of an already hectic commute time.

Posted by: nire | July 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed the lack of information about Maryland in this series? Virginia is well known for aggressively enforcing HOV laws (call it a tax!), but Maryland is just an afterthought when it comes to enforcing the law. Either Dr. Gridlock doesn't know what Maryland is doing about HOV enforcement or he isn't writing about it. Where are the numbers that show what is being done by each state?

Posted by: scubanut | July 22, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse