Saul to develop near Wheaton Metro

A development team led by the company B.F. Saul will spearhead mixed-use development around the Wheaton Metro station, Montgomery County and WMATA announced today.

The development is part of a wider push by Maryland and Metro to capitalize on land surrounding Metro stations to promote dense, transit-oriented housing, retail and office space, under Metro's Joint Development Program and Maryland's Transit-Oriented Development Program. The state of Maryland has provided $200,000 in planning funds.

Just over eight acres of land around Wheaton station is publicly-owned, but in other areas, such as New Carrollton and Greenbelt, that number, sometimes occupied by sprawling parking lots, is higher.

Some projects, such as those around Largo and Greenbelt stations, have languished.

Montgomery County Executive Isiah Legget said he hopes it "mirrors the successful strategy Montgomery County employed with Silver Spring" to "change the face of downtown Wheaton."

Maryland Transportation Secretary Beverley K. Swaim-Staley said in a statement: "By revitalizing areas in walking distance to transit, we increase transit ridership and reduce sprawl, traffic congestion and environmental impacts."

The construction, of course, could cause temporary problems for those driving to Wheaton station, but in the long term could mean more pedestrian use of the station and less reliance on parking at its garage.

By Luke Rosiak  | July 28, 2010; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  Construction, Maryland, Metro, Red Line  | Tags:  Transit-oriented development
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wolf: Dulles Greenway is 'highway robbery'
Next: Area delegation to meet with NTSB head

Comments

I love this headline. When I read it, I got this mental image of the Wheaton Metro giving rise to a guy who persecutes people, perhaps Red Line riders, until he has a conversion experience on the road to Damascus (how fortuitous that there is a town in Maryland by that name).

Sorry, I know the name is perfectly legitimate. I just couldn't stop snickering when I first read it.

Posted by: 1995hoo | July 28, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Wheaton is a dump for that is a harbour for illegals to live in and that will never change no matter how much money you put into this town. That is why everyone is moving away. Leggett is a loser.

Posted by: pjohn1 | July 28, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Pls ignore the comment above me, written clearly by a neanderthal. I have lived in Wheaton for 2 years and love it. Its made good strides and has improved a lot in the 10 years I have lived in the area. A mixed use development is the next step in developing an untapped area sitting right on top of the red line just up from the successfully renovated Silver Spring.
Simon
Whatsupwheaton.com

Posted by: whatsupwheaton | July 28, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Gentrification! Not In My BackYard!

Posted by: jiji1 | July 28, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

sure, let's pretend wheaton is not a wasteland.....

Posted by: proudgaycuban | July 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Wheaton is ALMOST as bad as Langley Park, Northwest Park, and the Piney Branch Rd - Flower Ave - University Blvd corridor.

I would support development around the Wheaton Station, if Immigration Customs Emforcement would move their HQ there, or open a branch office.

Thanks Ike Legget, for making Montgomery County such a nice place to live & work.

(shame the Lyons sisters are still missing)

NO AMNESTY for ANY ILLEGAL ALIEN. . EVER!

Posted by: Robbnitafl | July 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Such hateful white folks! Wheaton was spanish harlem long before Legget took office.

If the slave masters aka white folks stop using the illegals to clean their homes and take care of their snotty nose children the latinos would be forced to leave Wheaton.

Stop blaming Leggett and stop paying the illegals tax free money and just maybe they will all disappear.

Posted by: B4DarkDC | July 29, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

More, please. It's going to take a long time to revitalize Wheaton. And don't forget about Wheaton's b@stard child - the Glenmont area - another Metro station surrounded by underutilized property and a decrepit shopping center that NO ONE uses. Can we get a bulldozer up here and start over, please? We'll take the Costco that Wheaton doesn't want!

Posted by: B-rod | July 29, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

wheaton aka MS-13 Home Base. English is the SECOND language of Wheaton. I've seen more Americans in downtown El Salvador..then I see in Wheaton. The MCDonalds in Wheaton sells Pupusas instead of Big Macs

Posted by: DickHertz | July 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

(shame the Lyons sisters are still missing)

NO AMNESTY for ANY ILLEGAL ALIEN. . EVER!

Posted by: Robbnitafl | July 28, 2010 7:13 PM

---------------------------------------

What do the Lyon sisters have to do with this? They disappeared 35 years ago. Tying illegals and Ike Legget to them is really a bit of a stretch.

Posted by: GP04 | July 29, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That was the start of the downfall of Wheaton

Posted by: Robbnitafl | July 29, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GP04 | July 29, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That was the start of the downfall of Wheaton
----------
"downfall of Wheaton"

Hyperbole much?

Posted by: B-rod | July 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow - what bizarre comments on this story. Are you folks trolls with nothing better to do? Wheaton residents who hate their community? Or xenophobes who look for any WaPo story about communities with Latino populations so you can spew this junk?

I think this is a big deal for Wheaton. If you look at Saul's portfolio and the architects (Torti Gallas and Partners, Inc.) together with the fact that the highest levels of gov't at both the county and state level are invested in this - it bodes well. Of course the proof will be in the long run pudding, but this announcement of public/private partnership has the potential to really change the landscape of downtown Wheaton. (And it can't hurt the prospects for the Safeway/Patriot and Avalon Bay projects either.)

Posted by: daveinwheaton | July 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Wheaton residents who hate their community?"

What "community"?!

I'm an ex-Wheaton resident I don't have an ounce of regret about escaping that hellhole. The years I spent in Wheaton (almost a decade) were by far the worst years of my life.

"Spanish Harlem" my @$$. More like Langley Park Oeste. (I lived in Langley Park too, btw, and it was arguably much better in the '90s than Wheaton is today.)

Wheaton has definitely become a third-world slum. Middle-class flight is rampant -- representing all colors/backgrounds, btw.

"I've seen more Americans in downtown El Salvador..then I see in Wheaton."

Claro que si. And to the guy with the Wheaton website, at least half of it should really be in Spanish, or else you're mainly catering to the elites in the "Brownstones," the Kemp Mill residents, etc.

Wouldn't want to be accused of elitism now, would we, here in El Loco MoCo.

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | July 29, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank B4DarkDC, they have some nerve...the white folks need to get use to legal Spanish Folks, who have worked hard just like them to live nice!!!

stop the hating!!

Posted by: shadon1 | July 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Those darn white folks what will they do if the illegal left the country.

Clean their own homes!
Watch their own children!
Mow their own lawns!
Paint their own homes!
Clean their own cars!
Pay employment taxes!
Hire white boies for sex!
Fix their own cars!

Those darn white folks whould have to pay a fair wage for services render.

Gotta love those darn white folks!

Posted by: B4DarkDC | July 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh cmon everyone on this post...get real. Wheaton is a dump! I have lived here for 39 years and so I can speak on this. I remember when classrooms were predominantly white and now the majority of schools in the area are horrible because they are spending more money in teaching English as a first language. I am far from being a racist as I am a person of color so squash all the talk. Wheaton needs a makeover real bad. The real problem stems from the housing market growth over the last few years. When they were giving loans out latinos bought up everything and I laugh now because there own people talked them into buying houses twice the value. Now they are foreclosing like crazy or trying to live 20 to the house to keep it. I just sat back and watched and now own a home for 1/2 of the price...LOL. As far as bringing down the area, crime is up people. Alot of houses are in dissarray. Ride through Connecticut Avenue Estates....what a horrible mess! And I grew up there and back then it wasn't the most glorious area but now it looks like a hot mess. The Latinos have made it look like this and the county does nothing to beautify or make them be responsible homeowners...Have you ever been to the glenmont shopping center? Nothing there of interest except for CVS. Watch out for the streetwalkers...they cuss you out if you can't spare a quarter. Even worse, the 7/11 attracts all the crack heads. Its disgusting to get out the car and come close to a walking zombie high on something. Up the road in the heart of Wheaton is no better. The mom/pop shops like Nicks Diner and Marchiones are known and respected for their longevity but there is so much small business and not enough chain stores to attract people to the area. I am all for gentrification and illegal immigration policies and look forward to booting Ike Leggett and all the other Democrats right out of office this November. Yes, I am a Democrat but I don't mind voting for Republicans who think like I do! Good luck to those who continue to don't see the problems and stop saying people are racist because basically everything negative said on this comment blog has been true. No doubt about it!!!!

Posted by: rasbary1 | July 30, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

TO: B4DarkDC

You really sound ignorant or you represent the latino community. Fine. Let me ask you this? Is it okay for your own race (Latino) to pimp your own group of people. I have many Latino friends who have profited on their own. Let's see...one friend owns 5 houses and charges all his illegal tenants ridiculous amounts for one room in the house....Let's see...another Latino friend made a fortune during the housing market (enough to buy a 1.5 million house in Clarksburg) by talking his own race into buying overpriced homes they couldn't afford (many have lost those homes now)...Let's see....my other Latino friend owns a few pollo chicken restaurants and pays his illegal employees well below what other people make at McDonalds....

Posted by: rasbary1 | July 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

TO: Whatsupwheaton.com

You must live in the new developments around Wheaton....and for 2 years??? You don't know what you are talking about. Things haven't got better, it's getting worse. I read all these Wheaton/Silver Spring blogs out there now and I am just amazed at what you guys posts. Try this restaurant...try that one, etc. How about checking food inspector's list each month? You would be surprised what they say about these places that you blogs recommend. Wheaton hasn't changed, it's still the same old Wheaton. I

Posted by: rasbary1 | July 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse