Poll: Do you feel safe on area flights?

airport
Fog envelops Reagan National Airport. (Katherine Frey/Post)

The Post's Ashley Halsey III reports Monday that close calls at Washington area airports in the past six months have surpassed the total of 18 in 2009. The incidents come as 49 of the 177 controllers who handle in-flight traffic for the region are still working toward full certification, according to the FAA.

Related: Near-collisions on rise in D.C. area's skies

By Mike McPhate  | July 5, 2010; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Airports  | Tags:  airports
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Man struck by Orange Line train dies
Next: Timeline: Coverage of plane mishaps

Comments

I have a terrific fear of flying triggered by the sensation of takeoff and landing, however, zeroing in on controllers (to blame) is not anything that particularly concerns me.
I have to trust the whole team -- the pilots, the mechanics who service the planes, the controllers who keep track of us while we're in the skies, despite my feelings.
I have met and gotten acquainted with a couple of seasoned ATCs and they have impressed me with their dedication and concern for perfection.
Most are ex-military seasoned by discipline.
I do expect the administration of whatever party not to cut corners but to put air travelers' safety first, when they're playing political games with their budgets.
And yes, I do believe regulation of this occupation is a function of the government, not an extra expense of already beleagered airlines.
Personally, can't wait for the high-speed rail from Texas to DC.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | July 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

It's way safer, & carries far less risk, to fly than it does to get in your car and drive on the Beltway.

This is one area where actuarial tables & facts do really win out over mushy 'feelings' about what people think reality might be.

I don't really give a damn if people feel safe or not, I care if they are actually safe or not. There's a massive difference between these two things, starting with what sort of circus you're attending...

Posted by: Nymous | July 5, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

So once again we suffer the after effects of that great conservative Ronnie. The Cuban prision break, massive deregulation of the very industries that broke the economy this time, ENRON, Madof, Bush, it staggers the mind that some still kiss this guys ring when the facts are beyond dispute! According to that great contributor ro global warming, Rush Limbaugh, Ronnie is resposible for him as well. That alone should be reason to place Reagan at the bottom of the best presidents list right next to Dubya the dumb a**.

Posted by: anOPINIONATEDsob | July 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Responding to Nymous.
As a real frequent flier ( over 1900 flights in 18 years) I submit your position of being safer in a plane than in a car is bogus.
The data you refer to is probably calculated on miles flown, but if you look at number of trips taken, automobile travel is likely safer, as you get in your car to go somewhere several times a day ( store, gas station, mall etc..) so comparing number of car trips to number of airline flights is vastly different. (Most airlines don't like to discuss that fact)

Posted by: frequentflyer1 | July 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I did qualify what I said, freqentflyer1. I know it's not perfectly safe, but it is less risking than driving on 495 in DC/Metro on a daily basis is. Neither present unacceptable risks to most people.

Posted by: Nymous | July 5, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse