Woman locked in Metro station

A woman was briefly trapped in the Virginia Square-GMU Metro station earlier this week after a station manager closed up for the night while she was waiting on the platform, myfoxdc reported last night.

The woman said she had exited her train because she missed her transfer point, and waited on the platform because the signage said a train going the other direction would be coming in nine minutes.

She said she sat on a bench on the platform, and when she finally went to the top of the stairs, she found that the gates had been locked. After calling a friend, Metro Transit Police were summoned.

Metro officials say that it's investigating and the station manager, who was supposed to walk the length of the platform before leaving, has been given retraining, according to Fox.

By Luke Rosiak  | July 30, 2010; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The weekend and beyond
Next: Pick a parking sign in D.C.

Comments

I am so sick and tired of Metro, we as citizens of DMV need to stand up to Metro for once and for all. We pay to much money to ride this system, yet they have lazy and untrained staff what type of crap is that??..Metro is never prepared for any type of emergency, I am very afraid for my life whenever I ride Metro which is 5days a week so imagine how my heart must feel come friday :|....I just witness a guy yesterday @ Ga. Ave Petworth station just walk thru with another passenger, the station manager where there but talking amongst each other..SMH

Posted by: trinna22 | July 30, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I am laughing. "...has been given retraining". Are they teaching him how to walk? Or how not to go from his fortress of solitude booth straight to the exit when it's quittin' time.

Posted by: ksu499 | July 30, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Walk the length of the platform? They're still not checking for people on trains going out of service after the corpse incident.

Weird situation though, she was on the last orange train in one direction and hoped to get the last orange train in the other direction in order to make the last blue train? That doesn't seem likely.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 30, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I rode Metro for much of the past 18 years that I've been in the DC area. But no more. I ride it as a late resort.

Posted by: Marylander4 | July 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Er, LAST resort.

Posted by: Marylander4 | July 30, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Not quite MY last resort. I used to rely on Metro for my commute, but the horror that is the Red Line prompted me to go buy a new car. Silly me; I thought public transportation policy was supposed to make WMATA options preferable to car travel. Maybe GM and Ford could offer some $$$ to Metro as a small "thank you" for its help in driving automobile sales.

Posted by: catsrtasty | July 30, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

retraining? -sounds like the mgr may be a dog!

Posted by: Hattrik | July 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's not like catching a Blue Line train and forgetting to get off at Rosslyn. Then the train continues to Arlington Cemetery, and when you step off there, the muggers already know you're exhausted and disoriented. Oh that's right, they don't open the doors past nightfall at that stop. Anymore.

Posted by: blasmaic | July 30, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Retrained? Should have been fired. Until Metro gets serious, this nonsense will continue.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | July 30, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

In case riders haven't noticed, almost all metro workers are affirmative action hires. And they don't give a *#@+ about anything...especially their jobs. Happy metro riding!

Posted by: checkered1 | July 30, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

What is WRONG with Metro management?

This guy should immediately be re-assigned to SWEEP the platform, not manage it.

He should also be given a pay cut - for not doing his assigned job.

No wonder Metro is such a mess, there is nobody managing it!

Posted by: b1978367 | July 30, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

She probably had been bar hopping - EARLY! Blurry-eyed she mistakenly read a 6 for a 9 on the arrival sign and not realizing it, she had missed the darned train. Stay sober

Posted by: rkayblock1 | July 30, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

So what happened nine minutes later when the train came? Did people get off the train into a locked up station? Or did a train never come, despite the sign saying it would?

Posted by: DOEJN | July 31, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse