Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

2nd crash survivor returning home

Lobbyist Jim Morhard, 54, one of the four survivors of the Alaska plane crash that killed former Sen. Ted Stevens and a Germantown man on Aug. 9, is returning to Washington on Saturday. A statement released by his family said Morhard would return to Dulles International Airport via medical air ambulance. He has been convalescing at Providence Hospital in Anchorage and will move to a rehabilitation hospital in the Washington area, the statement said.

Morhard and his fellow passengers were on a fishing trip when their vintage floatplane crashed into a hillside. The survivors include Morhard, 54, of Arlington County; former NASA head Sean O'Keefe, 53; and O'Keefe's son, Kevin O'Keefe, both of Ashburn; and William "Willy" Phillips Jr., 13, of Germantown. Phillips recently returned home.

Constance Morhard of Culpeper told The Post earlier this month that her brother-in-law is an avid outdoorsman.

Morhard founded Morhard & Associates, a D.C. law and lobbying firm, five years ago after a career on Capitol Hill and in the executive branch. Morhard's most prominent role was as chief of staff of the powerful Senate Appropriations Committee under the Republican senator.

Morhard's family released the following statement:

Jim has shown tremendous progress in his recovery from the serious injuries he sustained in the plane crash that claimed the life of his friends and colleagues, including his law partners, former U. S. Senator Ted Stevens and Bill Phillips. "We first and foremost continue to grieve the loss of Jim's friends and colleagues who perished in last weeks plane crash. Our thoughts and prayers are with those mourning the loss of their loved ones. We want to express our sincere appreciation to those who rescued and comforted Jim in his greatest time of need and for the outstanding medical attention he has received from the doctors, nurses and aides at the Providence Hospital in Anchorage Alaska. As a result of their efforts, Jim is on the road to recovery and we are very grateful for their professionalism and care. We would also like to thank all our family and friends for their love and support. Through the efforts of so many, Jim is making great strides and we are all looking forward to his full recovery."

Stevens, 86, died in the plane crash, along with William "Bill" Phillips Sr., 56, of Germantown; pilot Theron "Terry" Smith, 62; Dana Tindall, 48, an executive with the company that owned the plane; and Tindall's daughter, Corey Tindall, 16.

The NTSB is investigating the crash.

-- Staff reports

By Michael Bolden  | August 21, 2010; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  Aviation, NTSB  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roadwork closures for 18th, P streets
Next: NPR series explores role of I-95

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company