One long Bethesda escalator out

Update: One of the long escalators at Bethesda is back up and running, after both were briefly out this morning. At Ballston, both escalators from the street are out; same with the G and 12th streets entrance at Metro Center.

Original post: Bethesda Station is open, but with a caveat--every one of the towering escalators from the mezzanine to the surface is out of service.

That's on top of the longstanding closure of a short escalator from the platform, leavings its mate out of service--and even that was enough to cause serious problems for riders.

Shuttle service has been requested, though of course, can only accommodate a fraction of Metro riders.

By Luke Rosiak  | August 2, 2010; 9:01 AM ET
Categories:  Metro, Red Line  | Tags:  Escalators
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I-495 in Md.: lane blocked
Next: Join me for traffic, transit forum

Comments

Actually, as of last Friday afternoon, the platform escalator was working again-though this morning, one of them was off. Still, a vast improvement over having to stand in a hundred person line to get off the platform.

Posted by: jlquandt | August 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Why does David Lacosse still have a job? He's been a train wreck and a malcontent while in charge of the escalators on metro. He should have gotten the axe a LONG time ago!

Posted by: jrutter21 | August 2, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that whenever Metro has these types of ongoing issues, we riders can't get at least a part of our fare refunded? If Metro can't provide the service they are charging us for they why don't we get refunds when they can't or won't provide that service?

I know, it's a rhetorical question but I figured at least someone should ask it.

Posted by: mika_england | August 2, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, how hard is it to put up a sign alerting passengers that BOTH of the escalators at Metro Center's 12th & G exit were out-of-service? While the elevator was operational, there was quite a long line and anyone who has taken that elevator knows how slow it is. Had I known that the escalators weren't working, I could have taken another exit. When I mentioned that to the kiosk attendant, I was met with a blank stare!

Posted by: bdk64 | August 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I second mika_england's rhetorical questions. With most things you pay for, if you don't get what's advertised, you get your money back or an exchange.

Posted by: DOEJN | August 2, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

How can metro management shut down the other platform escalator at Bethesda and force riders to wait until late October/November for repairs to be finished? Do metro managers hate their customers? I CANNOT BELIEVE we have to wait another 3+ months for metro to repair or replace a short escalator. Why does metro management do this? Any explanations? To me, I think it is complete disregard for their customers well-being. Obviously, they look at their customers with contempt and scorn.

Posted by: SF271 | August 2, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I feel like a naive chump. Did I REALLY think that Metro would rebuild one of the Bethesda mezzanine escalators and not the other? Did I REALLY think that they would post the truth on that little sign saying that work would be done by the end of July (revised from June)? I am ashamed to say that I had high hopes that the fist fights and the shoving and the missed buses due to the lines to get off the platform were over. Sigh. I hang my head in shame.

Posted by: melanie81 | August 3, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse