Foggy Bottom escalators out

Mark Berman

All entrance escalators are out of service at the Foggy Bottom station. Somehow, I think a few of our commenters will not be shocked. The station remains open and shuttle bus service has been requested.

By Mark Berman  | August 19, 2010; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Headaches on the horizon
Next: MARC Camden Line delays

Comments

Foggy Bottom station has been out of service for over a week now. I think it's time Metro faced facts and closed the station for the 6 -9 months needed to do the following:
1. Fix the underground AC or at least get the air down there moving again. It's always at least 85-90 on the platform.
2. Replace the non-functional escalators with STEPS down from the surface. The parts from these can be distributed through the rest of the stations that need them, so perhaps SOME of the ones currently down will be operational again?
3. Put in a bank of 2 or 3 more elevators to handle the increased traffic for those who can't hike up and/or down the steps. The current one only holds 6 people max and takes forever to make the round trip.

Posted by: DWSFandCDC | August 19, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I just experienced horrific metro customer gridlock were people are trying to leave and enter the station using one escalator.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the station is open, because it's a safety hazard to have so many people being off-loaded to a station that has one escaltor way in and out. It's an ingredient for customers to become very hostile. I also notice as usual two escalator repairmen working on one escalator, while the other were closed off. Why can't they work on the escalators during off-peak hours and the other question is why was the other closed to customers and no one was repairing it? I guess metro next step is to ask for another increase to provide more of the current lousy service provided.

Posted by: ladyd9 | August 19, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I commute from Rosslyn to Foggy Bottom and about a month ago I just stopped riding Metro in favor of my bike instead. It is so much better; Metro really is a disaster.

Posted by: kahuna613 | August 19, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Why is David Lacosse still employed?
FIRE
DAVID
LACOSSE
NOW!!!!

Posted by: jrutter21 | August 19, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

You are correct, regular Foggy Bottom riders are not surprised. I have been using this station for a year and a half now and much of the time most of the escalators are out of service under the "Capital Improvement" plan or whatever nonsense they are calling it. Just leave them open and let us hoof it up and down the stairs. I keep saying this but it is true metro service is very Third World.

Posted by: TG10 | August 19, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Why is David Lacosse still employed?

Does he even show up for work or is he off on vacation collecting a check?

Riot. Now.

Posted by: jiji1 | August 19, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Ms1995hoo (who occasionally posts here as "asoos1") told me that when she got off the train at Foggy Bottom this morning the escalators were working except for the one that's been closed for several months (and, wonder of wonders, there were actually workmen doing something to that one).

Posted by: 1995hoo | August 19, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse