BWI sets all-time passenger record

Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport has set an all-time monthly passenger record when more than 2.17 million travelers passed through in July.

The record announced Wednesday was driven largely by Southwest Airlines. Airport officials say Southwest is the largest airline at the airport and served more than 1.17 million passengers in July. That's an 11 percent increase over July 2009.

Gov. Martin O'Malley says the milestone shows this is a strong and growing market for travel. Discount carriers, especially, have grown in popularity during the recession.

AirTran Airways is the second leading carrier at BWI. It counted nearly 384,000 passengers in July, an increase of 3.8 percent. The figure marked an all-time monthly record for AirTran at BWI.

Passenger traffic at BWI has increased for 13 of the past 14 months.

--Associated Press

By Luke Rosiak  | September 8, 2010; 12:39 PM ET
Categories:  Airlines, Airports  | Tags:  BWI
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Public meetings set on Dulles Metro
Next: Another holiday weekend disruption

Comments

The BWI Turgood Marshall Airport is considered the airport of Asians. Celia Marshall (Mrs. Marshall), is a Filipino. It is easy for Asians landing at BWI to go to other states because of its proximity to Reagan and Dulles airports.

Posted by: ricgml1 | September 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport serves passengers coimg from and going to the Asian countries. Mrs. Marshall, Celia, is a Filipino.

Posted by: ricgml1 | September 8, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

you did not just go there

Posted by: jiji1 | September 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the rcgm1's ax to grind. But I have used BWI for years and feel it is easy to use (for both my travels and picking up other travelers) and security is fast and efficient. Even though it's become a rather large airport, it is easy to maneuver. Parking off-site is safe and economical.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | September 8, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I would point out that it's equally easy for non-Asians landing at BWI to go to other states. I personally do not happen to be Asian, but I do use BWI because it has rail service to the city (what a concept!) and it's only $6. Compared with a $100 cab ride from Dulles or a $100 fare premium at National, it's a good deal.

As a nice change of subject, I have a sufficient respect for Ronald Reagan's values that I won't call National Airport by the name that was forced down an unwilling city's gullet by an out-of-control, rigidly ideological federal fiat.

Posted by: jdsher00 | September 9, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Funny how the most mundane article in today's paper brings out people with either ethnic or political axes to grind.

Actually "pathetic" is more accurate than "funny".

Posted by: corco02az | September 9, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

No direct flights from Asia that I'm aware of. Someone's forebearers came from the Philippines (I assume that's what the poster meant when they said the woman is Filipina)? So what?? My great-grandparents came from Gemany. I'm not German. Even if I'd immigrated from Germany, I wouldn't be German now. My beef with BWI is the lack of eateries outside of security, and the fact that (at least the last time I was there) you couldn't find TSA locks at either of the two small stores.

Posted by: Sutter | September 9, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

For folks in NoVA its too far and too inconvenient.

I live right in-between DCA and IAD and can get to/from either in +/-30 min. I've stepped off a flight at DCA and been home in 25 min once (not during rush hour!).

I'll pay the extra $20-40 in airfare; thanx anyway.

Posted by: AnonPoster | September 9, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I use BWI exclusively because going to Dulles requires running the law enforcement gauntlet. Cops in the bushes and hiding like there is some serious criminals going to the airport. No thanks, I'll pay extra $20.00 for a hassle-free commute.

Posted by: fresno500 | September 9, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I hate BWI and only use it if a flight is at least $100 cheaper than one out of DCA or IAD.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | September 9, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

It's time we named our airports the way we name our football venues: X field at Y stadium. Take those jawbreaker names and reconstruct them into two "bites":

Baltimore-Washington International Airport at Thurgood Marshall Field.

Washington National Airport at Ronald Reagan Field.

Posted by: mattintx | September 9, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse