Crime increases on Metro

Metro saw a 24 percent increase in crime in the first half of the year compared to the same period last year.

Metro Transit Police recorded 1,074 assaults, thefts or other criminal offenses during the first six months of 2010. That's up from 866 in the same period last year, and 570 in the same period in 2006.

Metro Police Capt. Brian Heanue says the devices have grown more expensive and more riders are carrying them now. Metro has started a public awareness campaign warning people to keep their property secure. Heanue says more officers are also posted around Metro stations and more plainclothes officers are riding trains.

-- Associated Press

Check back for more details.

Have you been a victim of a crime on Metro? Post a comment below or send an e-mail to transportation@washpost.com.

By Michael Bolden  | September 16, 2010; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting, Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: BRAC town hall tonight
Next: Grant targets Metro impostors

Comments

Metro has been abuzz with criminal activity for years. What plans are there it increase police presence and have implement a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for rule breakers and criminals?

Posted by: 10bestfan | September 16, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I bet 95%+ of the crime is committed by black male teenagers.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 16, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I bet 95%+ of the crime is committed by black male teenagers.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 16, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

kenk3 you must not ride metro nor look at the news there is no color to crime you "jerk" stop using the internet to hide your true feelings...

Posted by: shadon1 | September 16, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, you racist prick, but if you are flashing your pricey electronics on the Green Line, you're asking for someone to borrow them.

Posted by: jiji1 | September 16, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Nobody ever bothers me.

Posted by: ericroks | September 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

In a related story, a larger number of Metro employees are now carrying electronic devices to use while operating trains and buses.

Posted by: SavedByZero | September 16, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

bet 95%+ of the crime is committed by black male teenagers.

Posted by: kenk3 | September 16, 2010 12:29 PM

******************************************

I bet 100%+ that kenk3 is an underachieving white male!

Posted by: TheChampishere | September 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

10bestfan,
The ACLU would NEVER allow a public transit agency to implement a zero tolerance policy.
Because a kid comes from a poor background, or has no father in his life, or doesn't attend a good school is always going to be the "out" so nobody is responsible for his own behavior.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | September 16, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

kenk3, it's ok ... it don't rub off.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | September 16, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

As a result of the rioting at Gallary Place Metro station, just about everybody is now keenly aware how few Metro police officers there are.

If I was an uneducated, chonically unemployed teenager or young adult living near the Metro, I'd look at Metro riders, especially TOURISTS, as wonderful Targets of Opportunity. They carry cameras, cell phones, mp3 players, etc. Snatch when the red light blinks indicating the door is closing, and you're home free!

And will tourists even press charges? Of course not. They won't come back for a trial, much less spend time giving a statement at a police station.

So crime on the Metro is probably five times what is reported.

Posted by: cibor | September 16, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiji1

================================

jiji1, they aren't going to challange healthy males. They are cowards.

They'll attack the weak, those with families, and especially women, including black women. They are opportunists.

The irony is that I see young men on the Metro with their pants almost off their butts, their hair disgustingly dirty, and their clothes not fit for the Salvation Army.

And in their hands is the latest $400 iPhone.

Does anyone REALLY think they bought it at a store rather than on the curb?

Posted by: cibor | September 16, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

What did you expect? I've seen Metro police riding on a subway car, with a passenger eating and drinking right in front of him, and he did nothing. It's just too much work to confront someone who's blatantly breaking the rules. You think he's going to chase down some thug over your i-pod?

Posted by: gasmonkey | September 16, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey, kenk3: I betchu 99 percent of the thieves who stole billions of dollars in the economic collapse were white males.

So, what's your point?

Posted by: sarjo220 | September 16, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sarjo220:

So, what's your point?

=============================

Gee, tough one. Maybe that the uneducated chronically unemployed young people who target defenseless people on the Metro in DC couldn't get jobs where they could steal hundreds of millions without any violence?

Or maybe college educated white males don't do petty robberies because they can actually BUY what is stolen on the Metro?

Help us out here. What's YOUR point?

That black teenagers should be forgiven their criminal activites? Or that white teenagers commit more of these cowardly attacks on DC's Metro than blacks?

Why does everything have to be about race just because of the new president?

Posted by: cibor | September 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The problem with crime on the metro is that the normal rider will watch it happen and not try to step in to help. Yes, getting involved in a scuffle isn't the best, but when you look at the odds - 1 or 2 punks vs. a whole metro car... Riders need to stop being so self involved and reach out to express CONCERN for the safety of others.

Posted by: khornyan | September 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's put it this way all race aside. If you have expensive electronics in your possession meaning carrying in your hands, attached to your clothes or purse etc. SOMEONE WILL STEAL IT....

We all live in this world together there is no race. Either your good or bad and if none of you here are the ones robbing the point is your good and we are on the same side. NOW lets find a way us good people can protect ourselves.....

My blessings are with you all!

Posted by: wonderingwhy | September 16, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I carry a book on the Metro with me twice a day, every day, and no one ever bothers me. Get unplugged people.

Posted by: ReadReadRead | September 16, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Now, this grand "public awareness campaign" that Metro has planned, would this consist of those once-every-12-second ANNOYING announcements from people who cannot correctly enunciate what they are reading?

My all-time favorite (so far), is the one that begins, "In order to prevent death...secure your cell phones and music players" Metro apparently still doesn't realize (or care, apparently) how offensive that is, being that Metro's unsafe trains murdered 8 people last summer.

Posted by: Nixonin08 | September 16, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: khornyan

==================================

I ride the Metro 50 minutes each way daily between my home in Silver Spring and Crystal City.

On two occasions I witnessed a near assault, and I stepped up. I'm 61 and disabled, but I got up and said something.

Two things happened immediately: people started taking photos with their cell phones, and suddenly black people got up to defend the black person and white people got up to defend the white person.

Fortunately the aggressor got off the Metro at the next stop before we had an incident, but I can see how these things have the potential for an explosive situation where people can get hurt.

I'll still step up to prevent someone becoming a victim, even if I become a victim in the process. Hopefully enough cell phones document the entire episode.

Posted by: cibor | September 16, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Plainclothes cops are not deterents. Metro should have a huge uniform presence. The idea is to prevent crime, not have a plainclothes ready to chase someone after the crime has been carried out. Zero tolerance should be the rule.

Posted by: jckdoors | September 16, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It is clear to me that Metro is less safe because the Metro police are focused on inconsequential tasks that have little crime protection effectiveness. As evidence, here are the facts: A few days after the deadly Metro train crash, I was given a $95 ticket for rolling through a parking lot stop sign at 7:40 PM when the lot was empty. and of course, it was at 7:40 PM because the METRO was running few and full trains so everyone was getting home late. There needs to be serious changes at METRO police.

Posted by: iseyij | September 16, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I carry a folded buck knife that is razor sharp since the citizens of DC, while techically can own guns and should be able to carry them as concealed weapons, pretty much cannot get a permit. If they do get a permit it takes at least six months. Once again, most of these crimes are committed by blacks.

Posted by: mikewadestr | September 16, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Does this include buses? I am a frequent bus and train rider, and last night it struck me just how many times people are able to board the bus without paying. I think the drivers are more willing to let them on than to deal with the drama--I've only seen one driver pull over until the offender got off. Is there stepped up enforcement on buses too? This would go a long way.

Posted by: Sixy20 | September 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to address the person who said that if I carry (and I assume that you mean SHOW) expensive electronics then these items will be taken from me-" will be stolen" Just wrong on all levels that attitude. First of all-I bought it and therefore I can enjoy it on my ride home. Secondly, I have paid for the ride home which means that I am of the same importance-no more, no less-than anyone else on that train or bus. There are always people who have more than others-if you do not have-you still have no right to TAKE from someone else. Thirdly, and I'll catch flack for this I know, I seriously hope that the unmannerly little pissant who reaches for my stuff does not accidentally touch me. I say this because by the ride home, I'm tired and hungry, and really stressed-they don't want me to grab hold of them because a whole bunch of stress is going to be relieved. In essence: if I'm going to jail for defending myself, it's going to be well worth the effort. If a few more people did the same these punk kids might think twice before they tried this guff.

Posted by: stopthemadness | September 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

If Metro hasn't SHOWN us that they don't give a sheite about passengers then we should have figured it out long before now.

First I noticed how infrequent cleanings have become. Then they removed seats in the newer cars with not enough places to hold on. THEN those same trains get packed with people standing for the their whole ride with little or NO air and this ocurrs EVERYDAY.

When there's an altercation on a train, you can count on 15 minutes or more before someone of authority arrives. The crooks have figured this out and THAT is why robberies are up.

On a recent ride a young black male blatantly snatched an iphone from a young white guy and quickly passed it to a friend. Luckly the train operator was notified and the doors didn't open until the police arrived but it was 15 minutes later. Both were arrested for theft after a search of their backpacks turned up the missing iphone.

Posted by: keedrow | September 16, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Another reason to arm the public and shoot these thugs down in the streets. But don't stay around to answer stupid questions from the police. Just make sure to watch the news and hear from mammi that they be good boys and they never do anything wrong. Sort of like the clowns who push their way onto a car instead of letting people off first. Damn whitey trying to get off de train whylst I be gettin on.

Posted by: ridingcrops | September 16, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for not letting me post again

Posted by: ridingcrops | September 16, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I have NEVER seen and don't know why blacks would come to the aid of some ignorant black youth who gets on the train just to wreck havoc, when they don't even respect older black women who ride.

The only thing they respect is when you look like you might knock their "f"in head off if they mess with YOU and you should be prepared to do so.

Posted by: keedrow | September 16, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: keedrow

There should be one mentality that passengers have when riding metro - when a young black male, and let's not mince words here because THEY have been the only perpetrators, get's on a train to rob, steal, or harrass passengers who are just looking for a quiet ride home, ALL PASSENGERS SHOULD COME TO THE AID OF THE VICTIM while someone notifies the train operator to NOT OPEN THE DOORS until the police has arrived. Hopefully the male passengers will have beaten the sheite out of the guy by then."

===============================

Thank you for pointing out people can use the intercom to alert the train driver of a theft and not open the doors. This can be done quietly so as not to alert the criminal.

People should NOT engage in violence. Aside from the fact that it is illegal, what happens if someone has a gun and decides to shoot?

No iPhone or other device is worth the life or permanent disability of a passenger on the Metro who has nothing to do with the incident.

Quietly use the intercom.

Minimize the hostility.

Wait for the police and use cell phone cameras to provide documentation.

Do not incite violence that results in injury or death.

Posted by: cibor | September 16, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I rode Metro today and I can tell you that the number of people wearing ear buds has to be way up. I'm a 67 year old Black male and I have an iPod. I've seen white, Black, young, old, men, and women using some sort of MP3 player. Also people are using their cell phones more than ever as reception underground has expanded. More devices, more tempting targets.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | September 16, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | September 16, 2010 1:07 PM

One of the leaders of the WashingtonPost Internet Gangstas.....I see he has a bunch of his lieutenants with him today.....

I'm more scared of these guys than any Black kid on the METRO, because these Internet Gangstas can be anything from police, judges, hiring managers, school teachers.

They have cloak to them that brings the element of surprise.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I bet 95%+ of the crime is committed by black male teenagers.

Posted by: kenk3
--------------------------------------

OK, so you hate Black guys.

Let me guess why:

1. A Black guy stole your girl back in high school and you blamed it on Affirmative Action.

2. A black guy once kicked your butt for mouthing off and you blamed it on Affirmative Action.

3. Your mom cheated on your dad with a black guy and you blamed it on Affirmative Action.

4. A black guy got a job you thought you were entitled to - after all, mommy and daddy and everone else always said you were smart and could get whatever you wanted - you blamed it on Affirmative Action.

5. You finally realize what a loser you are and that you CAN'T blame it on Affirmative Action.

My money is number 5.

Have a happy landing.

Posted by: ceefer66 | September 16, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

"Metro says electronic device thefts accounted for much of the surge in this year's crime figures."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gee, in the rest of the country, when you forcefully take something FROM A PERSON, that's called robbery, not theft.

Posted by: confounded | September 16, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I second the comment on seeing Metro Police ignore people eating and drinking.

We need to take Metro back from the Board.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | September 17, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

" I second the comment on seeing Metro Police ignore people eating and drinking.

We need to take Metro back from the Board."

Its amazing what has happen since the 12 year old was arrested for eating fries; people now eat and drink with no worries. The Metro is scared to death to enforce the eating and drinking rules now. The cars have become incredibly filthy from the food and spilt drinks.

Posted by: psuvo | September 17, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor,
I'm not racist(I actually have an African-American sister-in-law whom I love as much as any of my biological sisters),I'm just anti-stupid. Which explains why I have a problem with your moronic postings constantly crying racism.
Did you see the murder committed by the caucasian guy because of the speed bump in VA? I crushed him as much as I crush all stupid people regardless of race or immigration status.
As for what others posted(specifically Keedrow) it read more like an observation rather than an indictment.
What you fail to address is whether his observation is correct. That is a point you'll conveniently gloss over in your attempt to turn every topic into a race argument.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | September 17, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

More evidence that the Metro Transit Police need to focus less on the terrorist attack that hasn't happened and more on the crime that IS happening every single day.

Posted by: ceebee2 | September 17, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse