Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

Medical Center Station reopens

8:20 p.m. Update: A Metro spokeswoman says riders should continue to expect delays while trains single-track between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights stations.

8:08 p.m. Update: Local Editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz reports that Metro just offloaded a train at Farragut North. There are about 200 people waiting for trains at Farragut North. Meanwhile, Metro reports that the single-tracking is continuing.

7:58 p.m. Update: Metro reports that Medical Center Station has reopened, although trains are still single-tracking. Expect delays to continue.

7:48 p.m. Update: Metro is single-tracking between Grosvenor and Friendship Heights stations.

Metro's rocky ride

USER PHOTOS: Share pictures of your experiences on Metro trains and buses.

TIMELINE: Take a look back at mishaps and tragedies in the system since 2009.

7:36 p.m. Update: Metro reports that shuttle bus service has been requested. Bernstein says that his train bound toward Shady Grove has started moving away from Friendship Heights.

7:35 p.m. Update: However, the operator said that Medical Center would remain closed, and the train would not stop there.

7:30 p.m. Update: Adam Bernstein said the operator announced that Metro may begin single-tracking soon. Trains have not started moving, but the operator says it will happen momentarily.

7:20 p.m. Update: Bernstein reports that Metro is saying Medical Center is closed and that the station is being evacuated while personnel try to extinguish the fire.

7:15 p.m. Update: According to The Post's Adam Bernstein, Metro is making announcements in the system about a fire outside Medical Center. Bernstein reports that his train is at Friendship Heights and passengers are relatively calm.

Original post: A report of smoke on tracks outside Medical Center Station is causing delays on the Red Line for the evening commute. According to Metro, riders should expect delays toward Glenmont.

One witness told The Post that the platform at Medical Center was filled with smoke and there were flames on the track. However, Post reporter Lena H. Sun reports that her Shady Grove-bound train moved through the station.

Yesterday morning, a fire caused by a cigarette and debris held up trains between Metro Center and Gallery Place for about an hour.

Are you on the Red Line? Post a comment below or send us a message at

Riders report from the rails (#wmata):

By Michael Bolden  | September 16, 2010; 7:08 PM ET
Categories:  Metro  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fairfax Parkway extension opening
Next: 14th Street NW has reopened


This is ironic. I was in Medical Center station about 11am yesterday. I saw smoke all over the place at the far end of the platform and I informed the station manager (who was sleeping in the booth) and all she did was walk to the end of the platform and right back to her booth

Posted by: shorele17 | September 17, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

are the trains made of wood? the stations?

what is this fear of fire?

Metro already stinks, let the people go home

Posted by: jiji1 | September 17, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company