Fairfax weighs ban on smoking

Kafia Hosh

Fairfax officials are considering a ban on smoking in county-owned bus shelters.

The board authorized a public hearing on the ban at its meeting Tuesday. The Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act requires state agencies and localities to consider reasonable no-smoking areas in any building they own or lease.

The county would post no-smoking signs in its 214 bus shelters. Each sign would cost $2, for a total cost of $482.

The proposal comes after the state's ban on smoking in restaurants. The proposed ordinance would repeal a section of the county code that requires restaurants to designate a percentage of their seating as no-smoking areas, since it is inconsistent with state law.

The proposal would also add Fairfax County law enforcement as the enforcement authority.

Violators of the smoking ban in bus shelters would be fined up to $25.

The public hearing is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Oct. 19. To sign up to speak, call 703-324-3151 or click here.

Public hearings are held at the board auditorium at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.

-- Kafia A. Hosh

This post has been updated.

By Kafia Hosh  | September 14, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Metro, Transit
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: House to hear NTSB's Metro findings
Next: Metro bus, SUV collide

Comments

While we're at it, expand that statewide. I'd also love it if we could enforce that to 15 minutes prior to boarding a bus. Nothing worse than being crammed in next to someone who just had a smoke, and now I'm getting the smell up my nose and on my clothes for the day. Luckily I ride the Loudoun Commuter buses, I take the little air blower and either point it at my face to get oxygen or at them to blow the smoke-scent back at them!

Posted by: kmcandrew | September 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey, as an ex-smoker who finally gave in to the smoking Nazis, I say go for it.

It's outside, but then so are stadiums where they ban smoking. Smoke may drift onto your skin, and we all know how deadly THAT is.

But while you're at it, force health insurance companies to pay for smoking cessation medications! The idea that everyone claims smoking kills and makes people sick is not supported by the refusal of insurance companies to pay to help people quit smoking.

Posted by: cibor | September 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

------------------------

If that's your argument then lets ban those irritating perfumes some people wear...or how about banning those who just smell bad. What an absurd statement.

Posted by: whataboutfreedom | September 14, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Big whoop. No smoking in the bus shelters but it's ok to smoke in front of them, next to them, anywhere 1 inch away from the line. Does smoke respect borders?

If you see a smoker, treat them as if they are on fire and extinguish them promptly. It's what any good samaritan would do.

Posted by: jiji1 | September 14, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

If NYC can ban smoking in public places why can't we? I am all for it- if you want to smoke and slowly kill yourself please do so in the privacy of your own home and don't pollute my air!!

Posted by: soccerhead | September 14, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

kmcandrew says:
------------------------
whataboutfreedom says:
------------------------------------
Whataboutfreedom is demanding his freedom to smell hideous in close quarters. That's less absurd?

Posted by: LifeBeforePrinciple | September 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

This one doesn't make a lot of sense to me because the smokers will just step out from under the bus shelter and smoke anyway, and they'll still engage in their odious habit of littering the ground with cigarette butts (probably more so since there will be no ashtrays or other cigarette-disposal places at bus shelters if smoking is banned). The smoking ban in restaurants and bars is one of the best thing Virginia has ever done, but the major difference is that because restaurants and bars are enclosed spaces people aren't bothered by smoke drifting in from nearby. Bus shelters are a totally different situation.

Posted by: 1995hoo | September 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse