Wheaton station reopens

9:10 p.m. Update: Metro reports that Wheaton Station has reopened. A garage elevator and one escalator between the mezzanine and the platform are listed as out of service.

Updated 6:58pm: Shuttle service from Forest Glen is running, according to a Metro alert.

Original post: Wheaton station is closed, with trains passing through to Glenmont, because all the escalators--the longest in the system--are out of order, along with the elevator.

More than a dozen people were trapped in the elevator on Saturday, and it has not been running since.

Shuttle service has been requested.

By Luke Rosiak  | September 13, 2010; 5:57 PM ET
Categories:  Metro, Red Line  | Tags:  Escalators
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Closure on 23rd St NW
Next: Headaches on the horizon

Comments

Bernard Madoff will never go free.

Posted by: blasmaic | September 13, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

At least one of the shuttle buses stopped at the bus stop on the east side of Georgia Avenue at Forest Glen Road without pulling in to the station. Other riders said the station manager was telling everyone to wait at the station for the shuttle bus to arrive.

This was around 6:15 so I hope they sorted out where the shuttle was supposed to pick up. A little communication among the staff, people, please!!!!

It doesn't much surprise me that it's come to this at the Wheaton station. There have been a couple of instances in the past 6-8 months where all the escalators were out and I've backtracked to Forest Glen and taken the bus rather than wait for the single elevator, which can't come close to handling everyone disembarking at Wheaton. (Once I walked--there was still snow piled on the sidewalks on Georgia--wow, what a bad idea that was!)

I love Metro and have depended on it for many years. It saves my household a fortune by enabling us to function with one car. But it's getting old and we as a society have to commit the resources to keep it functioning.

Posted by: hammondnancy | September 13, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad we, indeed, have a truly world class subway system.

Posted by: hihi22 | September 13, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Why don't people walk? Escalators can be used as stairs. Judging from the wide bottoms I see on Metrorail, more walking would do the passengers good.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 13, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@Luther, absolutely you can save huge on your auto insurance by making these simple changes find how much you can save http://bit.ly/9uPEfB

Posted by: juanluis14 | September 13, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Repeal, I don't think you know just how long the escalators in Wheaton are. It takes three minutes to get from the bottom of the top when they're functioning. They're the longest in the western hemisphere.

I have walked up a stationary escalator in Wheaton since I live there. It's quite a workout for me, and I'm a twenty-something guy who does cardio regularly. I can't imagine how someone who's elderly, disabled, or on crutches would do.

Posted by: Cavan9 | September 14, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Who is in charge of the escalators and why is his head not on a pike?

Posted by: jiji1 | September 14, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Jiji1, his name is David Lacosse and I've been advocating his firing for quite some time now.

Posted by: jrutter21 | September 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse