Man struck by train at Metro Center

10:15 p.m.The disruption at Metro Center has been cleared, WMATA says, but between the early disruption and scheduled track maintenance, expect delays.

9:10 p.m. Update: The Maryland Transit Administration says the shutdown of the Red Line at Metro Center may have caused some MARC passengers to miss Train 544, which has left Union Station. Train 446 departs at 10:30 p.m. If you missed Train 544, go to the Union Station MARC information desk at Gate B for alternate transportation.

8:55 p.m. Update: Metro spokeswoman Cathy Asato said the report of the incident came in about 7:45 p.m. The person was struck by an eight-car train bound for Glenmont, she said. The preliminary investigation indicates that the person was on the tracks intentionally, Asato said. Although there is no Red Line service at Metro Center, the station remain opens for Blue and Orange Line riders.

8:45 p.m. Update: EMS officials said personnel are evaluating one man who was injured and a bystander who assisted in the rescue.

8:25 p.m. Update: Post Local Editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz reports that Farragut North is being emptied and that passengers are being instructed to walk to Dupont Circle Station.

8:18 p.m. Update: EMS officials report that the person is communicating with the rescue team.

8:15 p.m. Update: Witnesses report that the train was headed toward Glenmont.

8:11 p.m. Update: Metro know says that trains are turning back at Farragut North and Judiciary Square. Shuttle service has been requested.

7:58 p.m. Update: Metro reports that trains are single-tracking between Farragut North and Judiciary Square.

Original post: D.C. Fire and EMS are reporting that a man person has been struck by a train at Metro Center.

The incident reportedly happened on the Red Line. Expect delays in both directions.

What are you seeing? Post a comment below.

Riders report from the rails (#wmata):

By Michael Bolden  | October 29, 2010; 7:51 PM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eastern Avenue Bridge closed
Next: The weekend and beyond

Comments

METRO - It's Always Something!

Another suicide?

Always allow plenty of time to arrive at your destination. Whatever can happen to delay your trip, will. ON A DAILY BASIS.

This from a 20-year plus Metro rider.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | October 29, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Lots of people have it rough, but compounding the already selfish move that is suicide with the publicly traumatic manner in which these Metro jumpers perform it is just plain dickish.

My girlfriend had a rough week as well, and really didn't need to wrap it up by experiencing that while waiting for the train home. I'm sure the metro train operator and everyone else who had to witness that--and all their loved ones--would agree.

Posted by: IndiePendants | October 29, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

it's really rude and inconsiderate to kill yourself by jumping in front of a metro train, traumatizing hundreds of witnesses and stranding scores of thousands of commuters in the process.

why can't these people kill themselves in their own homes instead?

Posted by: potomacfever00 | October 30, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

...damm amazing that these trains constantly jump the tracks and kill innocent bystanders just waiting for a ride home. It's like a Stephen King novel, really.

Posted by: chucklebuck | October 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I got to Metro Center at about 9:15 last night... dozens of emergency vehicles all over, a couple of roads around there seemed to be closed, there was an enormous mob of people by the station entrance all trying to talk to the one WMATA employee there to guide them. Crazy.

Posted by: EtoilePB | October 30, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

As a friend of the man who was struck it saddens me to see that peoples' first reaction is to place blame. Whether they are right or wrong you would hope that everyone would realize that the person was suffering. Yes, no one wants to wait for the Metro and that is too bad - but a human life hanging in balance like that should give everyone pause.

Posted by: cait4891 | October 31, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Cait4891. I was standing behind your friend when this happened. I am very emotionally vested in this. I can't stop watching it play over and over in my mind. Would you care to share more with me either privately or here? I need help resolving what I witnessed.

Posted by: crw51877 | November 1, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

crw51877 I'm sure that must have been awful to watch and experience. I'm not sure that it would be my place to share much, but I did want to tell you that he is going to be okay - still in the hospital, but (besides some injuries) is doing surprisingly well.

Posted by: cait4891 | November 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Cait.
Thank you. Its hard to explain. This was a faceless nameless victim for me who i watched in their worst moment. I feel strangely connected to them for that reason. I probably always will. Its the why and who that will always be unclear. Tell them I am so glad they are ok

Posted by: crw51877 | November 2, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse