A dog has his day on Metro . . .

This video of what appears to be a beagle checking out a Metro train called to mind several reports from earlier in the year of animals of various types wandering around subways around the world.

The Financial Times reported on a phenomena in Moscow where dogs routinely wander the subway system, apparently even patiently waiting for trains on platforms. There is even a Web site devoted to the dogs of the subway system.

"Every so often, you would see [a stray dog] waiting on a metro platform," the Financial Times report says. "When the train pulled up, the dog would step in, scramble up to lie on a seat or sit on the floor if the carriage was crowded, and then exit a few stops later."

And Britain bid adieu to a commuting cat in January, who became a celebrity on local buses. Casper apparently would wait in line, climb aboard a local bus and spend the day riding around before returning home.

Do you have an animal story from Metro or another transit service? Post a comment below. Do you know this dog's story? E-mail us at transportation@washpost.com.

By Michael Bolden  | October 22, 2010; 10:39 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All aboard the 'Hipster Express'
Next: L.A. braces for Obama motorcade

Comments

FWIW, the singular form is "pheomenon," not "phenomena."

Posted by: 1995hoo | October 22, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The dog video link is broken.

Please fix, WaPo web editors.

I care because I am an avid fan of beagles.

For some reason you did not mention the famous Akita dog, Hachiko, who waited faithfully at a Japanese subway station every day for his owner, even years after the man died:

See:

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | October 22, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what has happened to this dog? He's wearing a collar. An update would be great!

Posted by: cotecm1 | October 22, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

No one took responsibility to find the owner? I hope that isn't the case.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | October 22, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope someone looked at the collar and called the owner?? This is funny but also sad, I would hope that someone was worried enough about the dog to do something . . .

Posted by: Sarah281 | October 22, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe all the stupid IDIOTS just sitting there like bumps on a log as that poor lost dog sniffed his way around.

What is wrong with you people?! Didn't ONE of you have the sense to look at his collar to see who he belonged to? MORONS!

Posted by: solsticebelle | October 22, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Nobody cares. Get over it.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | October 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Lots of people care. Dogs are cuter than people. :)

Posted by: DOEJN | October 22, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I really hope someone helped reconnect this dog with his/her owner. If my dog were lost, I hope someone would do that for me and him as I would for them. Dr. G, I feel like it was irresponsible not to include something in this story about what people can do in situations like this to help animals find their homes again.

Posted by: KCinCH | October 24, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse