How's your cell service on Metro?

Metro has a federally imposed deadline in two years to have cell service accessible to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile customers throughout its rail system. A team from the cell providers is working to expand the reach of the signals but their work must be balanced with work Metro needs to do maintain and improve the rail lines.

In the interim the number of devices people can use on cellular networks continue to grow. Cecelia Kang reported on the Post Tech blog Monday that phones using Google's Android system are outselling BlackBerries and iPhones, while the iPhone itself is still selling millions. More smartphones, iPads and other tablets are popping up on railcars and the growth shows no signs of slowing down.

Give us a report on how good -- or bad -- your reception is using our new cell service map.

By Michael Bolden  | November 3, 2010; 8:38 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Central Ave blocked near U.S. 301
Next: Beach Drive closure today

Comments

They may say that there's service but I've noticed that there is no service between stations and no service at all from Bethesda to Medical Center. I have been using the red line daily since 2001 and I have a Verizon blackberry.

Posted by: luvdc808 | November 3, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I have both AT&T and Verizon blackberry's. Voice and Data.. Verizon works relatively well on the Orange line (underground) from Foggy Bottom to say Eastern Market. Then it peters out until Stadium Armory. AT&T is really sketchy underground, I say it works well from Foggy Bottom to Federal Triangle, then very spotty if anything until you emerge from the tunnel after Stadium Armory.

Also, why doesn't metro post emergency numbers in the trains or even the stations for that matter.....

Posted by: joebananas1 | November 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I have Sprint and the only place on my Silver Spring to Metro Center trip where I don't get service while underground is at Union Station. Apart from that, my service can be slowish, but not entirely lost.

Posted by: SilverySpringlike | November 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I have the Motorola Droid X with 3G and service is pretty much nonexistant on the Green line between Gallery Place and Greenbelt except when out of the tunnels.

Posted by: lilolgumby | November 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I have the Motorola Droid X with 3G through Verizon and service is pretty much nonexistant on the Green line between Gallery Place and Greenbelt except when out of the tunnels.

Posted by: lilolgumby | November 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

NOTHING is more important than being able to use your cellphone & Blackberry everywhere! No excuses. I'm a very important busy man. I'm always talking and emailing. Often at the same time. I multitask. I'm funny that way.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | November 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The only thing more important than my cell phone is my Constitutional right to jam the doors of a train because I can't wait 2 minutes for the next one. They should pass a law requiring all trains to wait for me.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | November 3, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I have Verizon too. It's one thing if I'm on the platform but hardly anything going through the tunnels along the Red Line.

Posted by: eabgarnet | November 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Srpint and i ride the red and green mostly and i get pretty good services though mostly roaming underground and depedning on the station i get sprint signal (Metro Center Lefant Plaza Gallery Place) get no service between bethesda and Medical Center

Posted by: JeroRobson1 | November 3, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This week my husband and I rode Metro during the morning rush hour for the first time in 15 years. The addition of cell phone conversations has definitely NOT improved the Metro experience. I wish there were NO cell phone service available on Metro.

Posted by: hoganandbligh | November 3, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse