Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts

Penn. Ave. reopens after protest

By Michael Bolden

12:45 p.m. Update: Tim Craig reports that Pennsylvania Avenue has reopened.

12:33 p.m. Update: More than 200 members of the Ethopian community marched to the John A. Wilson Building demanding to speak to District politicians about the death of Ali Ahmed Mohammed.

Chanting "we want justice, we want answers," the crowd spilled onto Pennsylvania Avenue, forcing police to close the eastbound lane.

Several protesters entered the building, demanding that elected officials come outside and address the crowd.

"No matter who you are,no matter where you live, when someone loses their life, that's a problem," Council Chairman-Elect Kwame Brown told the crowd.

But the protesters say they are not leaving until they find Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1), who represents the ward where the beating took place.
-- Tim Craig

Original post: Post staff writer Tim Craig reports that protesters gathered outside D.C. City Hall are blocking part of Pennsylvania Avenue. The group is protesting prosecutors' decision to drop charges against the five men accused of beating Ali Ahmed Mohammed outside DC9, a popular nightclub.

Keith Alexander has details on the case on the Crime Scene blog.

District prosecutors dropped charges Friday against the five men, saying evidence did not support the case.

About 100 friends and family of gathered outside the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District earlier Monday to protest the decision. Craig estimates that 300 people have now gathered outside of D.C. City Hall. They plan to "camp" out until D.C. Council member Jim Graham comes and speaks to them, Craig reported.

It's probably best to avoid Pennsylvania Avenue and 14th Street NW for now. Use Constitution Avenue and F Street NW as your alternates.

By Michael Bolden  | November 8, 2010; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  Congestion, District, Driving  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro expands parking payment options
Next: District plans bridge inspections


It's understandable that the Ethiopian community is upset at the loss of one of their own and the length of time that has elapsed since his death, but what part of "innocent until proven guilty" are they unable to accept?
Neither Graham nor anyone else can provide any answers until the DC Medical Examiner receives the full results of the autopsy which are still pending.
They continue to insist that he was "beaten to death." What if the autopsy results show otherwise?

Posted by: parkbench | November 8, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company