Silver Spring man arrested for road rage

By Associated Press

A Silver Spring man has been arrested and charged with assault with intent to murder after a road rage incident near the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

U.S. Park Police arrested 47-year-old Andrew Dunn this week after the Sunday incident in Beltsville.

Police say Dunn argued with another driver who was reportedly almost run off the road. Police say the victim called police and helped track Dunn's car. Later, when both drivers came to a stop, Dunn fired a handgun at the victim, who wasn't injured.

On Tuesday, police sent a SWAT team to Dunn's home and recovered evidence linking him to the crime.

By Associated Press  | November 11, 2010; 10:39 AM ET
Categories:  Driving
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chrysler, GM recall vehicles
Next: How's your cell service on Metro?

Comments

Yeah, we need more guns out there.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 11, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Some of this drivers make you want to take it that far...

Posted by: shadon1 | November 11, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we need more guns out there.

Posted by: jckdoors

===========================================

What a stupid statement. Mr. Dunn could just as well killed the informer with his car. Would you say, yeah, we need more cars out there, then?

Posted by: COOLCHILLY | November 11, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Another responsible gun owner out there just protecting society. Let's here it for that great 2nd Amendment. Yay, guns and all those brilliant gun lovers.

Posted by: vztownes | November 11, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Shocker, bad driver with a weapon in Maryland.

I suppose the next story will be about a crackhead with an STD in Baltimore.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | November 11, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Shocker, bad driver with a weapon in Maryland.

I suppose the next story will be about a crackhead with an STD in Baltimore.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach
-----------------------------

Yeah. Right next to the story about the closeted Marine from Va. Beach getting caught cruising mens rooms.

Posted by: ceefer66 | November 11, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

COOLCHILLY: Talk about stupid statements.

Posted by: jckdoors | November 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Two words: DEATH PENALTY

Posted by: playahatah | November 11, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Too many so called adults playing Grand Theft Auto at home and then taking that same mentality to the DC area streets.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | November 11, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The gun is secondary. It's the behaviour that's the issue. The guy is a hotheaded moron.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 12, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

If he didn't have a gun, he would've swung a tire iron, golf club, etc. Guns aren't the issue, nor are videogames. He, however, should lose his right to own a gun.

The real issue is loss of respect for other people in our society.

Posted by: Irato | November 12, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

RoblnVaBeach---now that was funny :-)

Posted by: kimnealctr | November 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What an idiot! Short of attempting to run the guy or a member of his family over with his/her car what could someone possibly do with a car that makes shooting them a reasonable response?
Completely moronic and now the guy will be spending years in prison for it. Talk about losing perspective of a situation...you cut me off so I'm going to shoot you. Alarmingly stupid...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | November 12, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Bet you it all started because the one guy was driving slow in the left lane and would not move to the right when the other car approached at a higher rate of speed. For some reason people think that they are entitled to drive whatever speed they want and you have to avoid them. Get out of the way and you can get right back over after I go by. If you don't like it then go get a job where they give you a car with lights on top, until then its not your job to slow me down or impede the flow of traffic. We need to start ticketing people for not yielding to approaching vehicles.

Posted by: Chris751 | November 12, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris751 | November 12, 2010 1:11 PM

Are you saying that driving slow in the left lane justifies attempted murder?

Posted by: GP04 | November 12, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Mel ... you can kiss my grits

Posted by: pejochum | November 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Chris751:
.....its not your job to slow me down or impede the flow of traffic. We need to start ticketing people for not yielding to approaching vehicles.
***************************************************************************************
I am a little unsure about what "not yielding to approaching vehicles" means?
There are laws that target the failure to yield right of way, however it seems that you are suggesting that it should be illegal not to get out of the way when someone comes up behind you.
While I think driving slowly in the left or passing lane, is a bad idea, I don't think that it is a ticketable offense unless the offending driver is going well under the speed limit.

What I've encountered when diriving in the left lane is that I can be going above the posted speed limit and will have some aggressive driver bear down on me an "ride my bumper" until I move out of his way.
Obviously getting out of the way is the best action, but of course, the aggressiveness of the "riding the bumper" technique, is almost assured to provoke a negative reaction.
As someone pointed out recently, persons in a grocery store would not exhibit this type of behavior when maneuvering through the aisles with their shopping cart but put a person behind a couple of tons of glass and steel with an internal combustion and All Bets are Off!!

Posted by: OlSloaner | November 12, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The left lane is the passing lane, not the cruising lane.

People in Europe get this without a problem, even in Germany where some highways have no speed limit. The French do it best. Drivers there put their left turn single on when passing in the left lane to let other drivers know they are passing and will turn back into the right lane as soon as possible.

It doesn't matter how fast you are going in the left lane. If the traffic in the next lane over is going at the same speed you are and you are not in the left lane to pass cars to your immediate right, then you should be in that lane. Period. It's not your right to tie up a lane just because you are a busy body who wants the rest of the world to travel at your rate of speed.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | November 12, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Several years ago, I was driving from Indiana to the DC area. All the radio reports stated that the Ohio state police would be looking for speeders.

I was near Columbus (after sunset), in the right lane, doing just under the speed limit, when a car came flying up behind me, flashing their lights (not from bright to dim, but bright to off to bright to off, etc.). Finally they passed me in the totally open left lane. It was only then that I could tell it was a police cruiser, whose driver gave me the finger as he passed me, traveling not much faster than I was (so he wasn't 'on call' to an incident of any type).

Posted by: critter69 | November 14, 2010 4:31 AM | Report abuse