Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts
Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 12/13/2010

Airport shuttle probed in crashes

By Michael D. Bolden

[This post has been updated]

Multiple police agencies are investigating several Monday morning crashes that allegedly involved a "SuperShuttle" airport van. Virginia State Police say they have charged Muhammed Teshale, 25, of the 4800 block of Kenmore Avenue in Alexandria, with one felony count of hit-and-run in Fairfax County. Additional charges are pending.

Virginia State Police, Arlington County Police and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police are coordinating efforts into a review of the accidents.

According to Virginia State Police, a trooper was called to investigate three hit-and-runs at 9:24 a.m. that occurred on Interstate 66 westbound near mile marker 70. Police said the SuperShuttle van "twice sideswiped the passenger side of a Dodge Charger," "rear-ended a Chrysler Pacifica" and struck a taxi from behind. Both the taxi and the Pacifica ran off the road, with the taxi striking a guardrail and the Pacifica ending up in a ditch, police said.

Authorities said the 33-year-old driver of the Pacifica and her 1-year-old daughter were transported to a local hospital for treatment of minor injuries. None of the other individuals were injured, police said.

Another trooper was dispatched to a hit-and-run on I-66 westbound near the Nutley Street exit at 9:28 a.m., police said, where a Mercedes was rear-ended by the van. The 47-year-driver of the Mercedes was not injured, police said.

The Virginia State Police said statements from witnesses and the van's driver report that the SuperShuttle was traveling between 90 and 95 mph on Interstate 66.

By Michael D. Bolden  | December 13, 2010; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Airports, Driving, Northern Virginia  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: N. Moore to close for 26 hours
Next: BWI sets October record


This clearly was a terrorist attack.

Keep fear alive.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | December 13, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company