Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts
Posted at 12:53 PM ET, 01/20/2011

LaHood: Still fighting distracted driving

By Bloomberg News

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who has been criticized by highway safety advocates for his focus on distracted driving, said he'll keep the issue at the top of his safety agenda.

"We will not be deterred by false choices about addressing distracted driving on the one hand and alternative critical safety issues on the other," LaHood said today in Washington, responding to criticism from former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration head Jeffrey Runge.

Runge told USA Today last week that the Transportation Department should focus on bigger causes of traffic deaths and injuries. According to the agency, about 5,500 people died and 500,000 people were injured in 2009 because of distracted driving. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety President Adrian Lund has also criticized LaHood's work, saying texting bans haven't reduced distracted driving-related crashes.

LaHood has said says he believes motorists are distracted by any use of mobile phones while driving, including hands-free calls made using vehicle information and entertainment systems such as Ford Motor's Sync and GM's OnStar.

LaHood said he will meet with the chairmen of Ford and Chrysler in Detroit next week about curbing distracted driving. He said he has already spoken with executives of General Motors, Toyota, Nissan, Honda and BMW about the topic.

LaHood said corporate bans on mobile phone use while driving help set an example.

Safeway, the U.S. grocery-store chain, last year banned drivers of its 797 tractor-trailer trucks and 403 home-delivery trucks from talking or texting, including hands-free devices, while operating its trucks, said Shannon Campagna, the company's vice president of federal government relations.

From the Post's archives

Fairfax to use old law to fight distracted driving

Oprah talks down distracted driving

Md. cellphone bill part of national campaign

Study: Hands-free cellphones just as likely to distract drivers

By Bloomberg News  | January 20, 2011; 12:53 PM ET
Categories:  Traffic Safety, Transportation News  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VRE to lobby for funds to expand
Next: Va. congressmen send letter on BRAC

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company