Posted at 5:07 AM ET, 01/27/2011

Metrorail normal, buses limited

By Washington Post Editors

Metrorail plans to open this morning at its normal 5 a.m. operating time. Metrobuses will begin the day on snow emergency routes (no side streets), but officials say full operations will return to normal as soon as the street conditions make it possible. Metro says MetroAccess will begin operating at 10 a.m.

Arlington's ART buses will operate with limited service.

The Fairfax Connector plans to operate on a Saturday schedule between 10 a.m. and midnight. But we've heard from readers that neither its route 151 nor its route 152, which ferry people to Huntington Metro and back, appeared at the stops on Mary Baldwin Drive.

Maryland Commuter Bus service contracted through Dillon, Keller, Eyre, and Martz will not operate on Thursday. Most MARC train service is also canceled.

The Maryland Transit Administration said that they expect major roads to be treated overnight. However, parking lots still need to be plowed and bus drivers may be unable to report to work.

The MTA also canceled MARC train service on the Brunswick and Camden Lines. The agency said Penn Line trains would operate on a modified holiday schedule. The cancellations are due to a deficit in equipment to operate the trains. Trains are likely out of position.

The Brunswick Line carries passengers between Washington and points north and west, including Frederick and Martinsburg, W.€ŠVa. The Camden Line connects Washington and Baltimore, and the Penn Line runs from Washington through northeastern Maryland via Baltimore.

Virginia Railway Express plans to operate on an "S" schedule today. Only those trains with an "S" above them on the schedule will operate.

Ride On bus service in Montgomery County will resume at 10 a.m. Thursday and operate on a Saturday schedule.

The D.C. Circulator expects to begin service at 7 a.m. but probably with fewer buses and drivers.

By Washington Post Editors  | January 27, 2011; 5:07 AM ET
Categories:  Metro, MetroAccess, Metrobus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. buses, some trains canceled
Next: Your #disastercommute stories

Comments

So how do we find out which buses specifically are running and which are not. WMATA.com doesn't seem to be any more specific, and metro's phones are not working.

Posted by: shawkatie | January 27, 2011 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I have the same question as the commenter above--what does it mean that buses will be on "snow emergency routes"? I'm scouring the WMATA page for some definition of this, and it's not at all clear. Come on, WMATA, at least tell us what you're doing!! Dr. G, can you help?

Posted by: matt731 | January 27, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: matt731 | January 27, 2011 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Metrobus was NOT running on the snow emergency routes, at least not in Montgomery County before 0645. I waited on Connecticut Avenue for 40 minutes and finally walked to Friendship Heights Metro station, where I found a completely empty transit center. No Metrobuses (and no Ride-On buses for that matter.) Metro needs to be more realistic and candid with its customers. Most of us can make alternate plans, if the buses can't run.

Posted by: usmcmarathonman | January 27, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

matt731 - re snow emergency routes - I hounded them online until they gave me a text one for my route - however it is worthless.

Metro bus doesn't have snow emergency routes, the route is left up to each driver, therefore one driver might take a major road, where the other might take the real route, and others might skip entire neighborhoods. Therefore there is no way to correctly guess which street the bus will be on.

Posted by: iolaire | January 27, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

To echo what usmcmarathonman said, Metrobus was absolutely NOT running snow emergency routes this morning.

I waited on a major, cleared thoroughfare for over an hour this morning (with some folks who had been waiting for much longer) before giving up and walking the 2.5 miles to my office.

I walked home last night, too. I positively REFUSE to do that again this evening. Get your act together, MetroBus.

Posted by: georgetownred | January 27, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse