Chilly commute caps off week
9:05 A.M. UPDATE:
There's still congestion on the inner loop at Braddock Road, while a disabled vehicle on I-270 North at Rockledge Boulevard could cause some problems.
8:40 A.M. UPDATE:
The accident on the inner loop at Connecticut Avenue has been cleared.
8:30 A.M. UPDATE:
An accident on the inner loop at Connecticut Avenue is blocking the right merge lane. Both shoulders are still blocked on the outer loop at Kenilworth Avenue.
8:05 A.M. UPDATE:
A disabled vehicle is blocking the shoulder on the outer loop to the west of University Boulevard. The disabled vehicle near New Hampshire Avenue has been cleared.
There's also an accident on the outer loop north of Kenilworth Avenue, blocking both shoulders.
7:45 A.M. UPDATE:
There's inner loop congestion near the Braddock Road exit. I-395 North is still slow at Seminary Road.
In Maryland, a disabled vehicle on the outer loop after New Hampshire Avenue could be problematic.
7:30 A.M. UPDATE:
There are icy conditions at Langston Place and Ainger Street SE due to water from fighting a fire this morning, according to D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services. Expect some issues in the area, and avoid it if you can.
7:15 A.M. UPDATE:
The outer loop shoulder has reopened before the I-270 spur.
7 A.M. UPDATE:
The accident is still blocking the following blocks: the 100 block of Kennedy Street NW, 5400 block of New Hampshire Avenue (from Longfellow to Kennedy Street NW) and 5600 block of North Capitol Street NE. It's best just to avoid that area entirely, but if you are approaching the Maryland/D.C. border from either direction near this spot, you can certainly expect delays.
I-395 North is very slow approaching Seminary Road. Further south, the southbound U.S. 1 lane has reopened in Alexandria.
In Maryland, the outer loop shoulder is still blocked before the I-270 spur.
6:40 A.M. UPDATE:
A car accident near Fort Totten is blocking several blocks not far from the Maryland/District border. The 100 block of Kennedy Street NW, 5400 block of New Hampshire Avenue (from Longfellow to Kennedy Street NW) and 5600 block of North Capitol Street NE are all blocked.
This is all right near the spots where Missouri and New Hampshire avenues intersect with North Capitol Street. Avoid the area if at all possible.
6:30 A.M. UPDATE:
The outer loop lane has reopened at U.S. 1/Baltimore Avenue, while the disabled vehicle has been cleared from U.S. 50 West. Meanwhile, an accident is blocking the shoulder on the outer loop before the I-270 Spur.
6:05 A.M. UPDATE:
The shoulder on I-395 North at the 14th Street Bridge has reopened. Meanwhile, in Maryland, one lane of the outer loop is blocked at U.S. 1/Baltimore Avenue. There's also a disabled vehicle on U.S. 50 West at Kenilworth Avenue.
Good morning, commuters. We're in for a minor dusting this morning, followed by cold temperatures and probably not a lot of snow accumulation, according to the Capital Weather Gang. While there might not be much snow for you to see as you head into work, the roads could be slick and icy, so be mindful of that. Drive carefully and expect some delays.
There's an accident on U.S. 1 at Popkins Lane in Alexandria is blocking the left lane. A disabled vehicle on I-395 North at 14th Street Bridge is blocking the right shoulder and could cause some problems.
After the jump, we have information on snow removal as well as potential airline delays.
Here's information on snow removal and where you can turn for help. Keep in mind that in most jurisdictions, property owners are responsible for clearing adjacent sidewalks.
- Alexandria snow removal information: Visit the snow report Web site or call the snow emergency hot line at 703.746.4488.
- Arlington County's snow removal information is here. In the past, officials have said the hilly terrain in sections A, C, and D means it takes longer to clear those areas.
- The Viriginia Department of Transportation is responsible for snow removal in Fairfax County and most other areas.
- You can also visit Virginia 511 for the latest information Virginia road conditions.
- Track snow plows in the District here. The District Department of Information checks tweets sent to DDOTDC. You can also call the Mayor's Call Center at 311 or complete a form on the Web site.
- Check Montgomery County snow removal here. Check to make sure the county is responsible for you street, and not one of the local jurisdictions or the state of Maryland, which plows numbered state routes. Here is a link with more information on who clears snow. You can report the problem to Montgomery County using this link or by calling 240-777-6000.
- Prince George's County snow information is here.
- State of Maryland snow information
Here is a list of airline waivers that have been issued so far:
Check with your airline to see if your travel plans may be affected and what rules are in place if you do need to change your flight.