Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 02/ 1/2011

Be wary of icy roads and sidewalks

By Mark Berman
Mark Berman

Capital Weather Gang | Dr. Gridlock's Snow Guide | Flight/airline info | Post Mobile

9:10 A.M. UPDATE:

The accident on the B.W. Parkway has been cleared and is no longer blocking the southbound ramp to Laurel Bowie Road. An accident is still blocking the ramp from I-270 North to Germantown Road.

Traffic signals are still reportedly out or flashing at New Mexico and Nebraska avenues in Northwest Washington, as well as at Minnesota Avenue and G Street in Southeast Washington. There's also a disabled vehicle on S. Capitol Street and Livingston Road in Southeast and an accident in the 700 block of Edgewood Street in Northeast Washington.

8:45 A.M. UPDATE:

An accident is blocking the ramp from I-270 North to Germantown Road.

Meanwhile, an accident on the B.W. Parkway is blocking the southbound ramp to Laurel Bowie Road.

There's an accident in the 700 block of Edgewood Street in Northeast Washington, while traffic signals are out or flashing at New Mexico and Nebraska avenues in Northwest and Minnesota Avenue and G Street in Southeast. There's also a disabled vehicle on S. Capitol Street and Livingston Road in Southeast.

8:15 A.M. UPDATE:

There's an accident on Montana Avenue and W Street in Northeast Washington as well as a disabled vehicle on Maryland Avenue at H Street in Northeast.

8:05 A.M. UPDATE:

Delays continue on the southbound B.W. Parkway near the Beltway due to an accident.

7:50 A.M. UPDATE:

All of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway/MD 295 southbound lanes have reopened at Laurel Bowie Road. However, there's an accident on the parkway further south at the Beltway, so it's still delayed heading southbound.

There's a report of downed wires at Foxhall Road and Lowell Streets in Northwest Washington, so avoid that area.

7:30 A.M. UPDATE:

An accident on Baltimore-Washington Parkway/MD 295 is blocking all southbound lanes at Laurel Bowie Road.

7:10 A.M. UPDATE:

The Inner Loop is backed up at Telegraph Road and Arlington Boulevard.

6:45 A.M. UPDATE:

The water main work on Annapolis Road has been cleared. An accident on I-270 South at I-370 could snarl southbound traffic, so expect issues in that area.

6:25 A.M. UPDATE:

I-66 East is very, very slow near Chain Bridge and Glebe roads.

There's water main work on Annapolis Road/MD 450 at Edmonston Road in Bladensburg, which could slow traffic in both directions at that spot.

ORIGINAL POST:

The first morning commute of February is going to be a slippery one. The area is under a Winter Weather Advisory, with a light freezing rain and misting causing some patches of ice on the roads and sidewalks. Be careful whether you're walking or driving, and check back with us throughout the morning for traffic updates. Let us know what you see in the comments below.

Here are some area schools that are closed or delayed. And here are some tips for dealing with icy weather.

Already this morning, an accident on I-370 West after Shady Grove Road is blocking two lanes and one of the shoulders. An accident on I-270 North at Father Hurley Boulevard could cause delays as well.

An overturned vehicle is blocking E Street NW from I-66, which siphons some traffic heading into the District from the Roosevelt Memorial Bridge. [5:55 A.M. UPDATE: All lanes on E Street have reopened.]

By Mark Berman  | February 1, 2011; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Commuting, Congestion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VRE running full service
Next: Orange Line delays cleared

Comments

What about bicycling? Shouldn't folks be careful bicycling if it is icy, just like those walking and driving?

Dr. Gridlock seems to inconsistently remember the growing number of area cyclists...

Posted by: Anonymous123451 | February 1, 2011 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Yikes. I went out to pick up the Post in the front yard. Everything looked fine. I stepped on my sidewalk and--Zip, Zoop, Zop--my feet went out from under me. It is very, very slick out there.

Posted by: TiminTakoma | February 1, 2011 7:40 AM | Report abuse

SLOW DOWN LOTS OF BLACK ICE ALL OVER THE REGION....................

Posted by: allenlevi | February 1, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

SLOW DOWN LOTS OF BLACK ICE ALL OVER THE REGION....................

Posted by: allenlevi | February 1, 2011 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Saw a woman slip, fall and break her arm while getting on the Metro this morning. Metro has done a decent job getting salt onto the platforms, but there are still slick spots.

Be careful!

Posted by: gewaldron | February 1, 2011 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank DDOT for pre-treating my street this morning (57th St SE). Unfortunately, the spreader was broken so there is a 3-4 inch wide strip that is saturated with rock salt down the middle of the street. A least some kid will be able to use his scooter tomorrow.

And FYI to DDOT: It really is a two lane street despite what your plows and salt trucks think.

Posted by: bayma1 | February 1, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bayma1 | February 1, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I drove to Rockville this morning from Kingstowne for a hearing at the Montgomery County Courthouse; drove back around 2:00 PM or so. Painless drive each way, some of the lightest traffic I've seen at that time of day (I took the GW Parkway out and the Beltway home). But the warning about sidewalks was quite prescient: As I was parking the car in that big surface car park between the cinema and Gordon Biersch, I saw a lady walking down the sidewalk whose feet suddenly slid out from under her and she landed square on her arse. Rather disturbing sight, as the rest of the sidewalk turned out to have been salted but that one area had not. (I was still parking the car and was unable to help, though she got right up, dusted her rear off, and went on her way.)

Posted by: 1995hoo | February 1, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I've read a lot of tips and comments but nowhere does anyone talk about the elephant in the room (sorry Repubs...not everything is about you!!). The elephant is vehicle tires....the simple fact is that all season tires aren't, and high performance summer tires simply shouldn't be run in the winter! Don't even get me started about bald tires.
I don't car if you have front wheel drive or all wheel drive or a big honking SUV....more than several inches of snow demands snow tires and/or chains.
You're simply incompetent to drive without them.

Posted by: joy5 | February 1, 2011 9:34 PM | Report abuse