Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts
Posted at 1:05 PM ET, 03/ 7/2011

NTSB: Tug pilot in crash was on cell

By Associated Press

duckboat030711.jpgInvestigators examine the duck boat in July 2010. (Coast Guard via Associated Press)

PHILADELPHIA -- The mate piloting a tug boat in last summer's deadly collision of a tourist boat and a barge was consumed by a family emergency and on his cellphone at the time, a new government report on the crash revealed Monday.

The mate told a tugboat company lawyer he had learned that day of a life-threatening medical emergency involving his young son, the National Transportation Safety Board report said. The mate, who was not identified, made or received 21 calls on his personal cellphone from the time he took the wheel at noon until the 2:37 p.m. crash.

The barge struck a disabled amphibious "duck boat" on July 7, killing two Hungarian students and plunging 35 other people into the Delaware River. The NTSB report does not analyze what caused the crash.

The 4,400-page report released Monday also said the mate did not assign a lookout on the high-sitting barge as it was being pushed from behind by the small tug.

A federal criminal investigation is also under way. At his lawyer's advice, the mate has declined to cooperate with NTSB investigators, citing his Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination.

His defense lawyer, Frank DeSimone, said Monday that he had not yet read the new report and declined to comment.

The parents of the Hungarian students killed, 20-year-old Szabolcs Prem and 16-year-old Dora Schwendtner, have a wrongful death lawsuit pending against the city, which owned the barge, and operators of both the tug and the amphibious duck boat.
Ride the Ducks, the tour boat company, has not resumed its land-and-water tours in Philadelphia. The duck boat operation in Washington is owned by a different company.

The tour boat's radio calls to the approaching tug went unheeded in the moments before the collision, the NTSB found. The mate, in brief statements the day of the crash, told investigators he did not hear, see or feel anything before seeing people in the water, the NTSB said.

Drug and alcohol tests on the crews of both vessels were negative, the NTSB has said.

Other news

new campaign seeks to get teen drivers off their cellphones

By Associated Press  | March 7, 2011; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  NTSB, Transportation News  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bike summit begins Tuesday
Next: Your questions: ICC, poles and potholes

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company