Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Transportation Home  |  Discussions  |  Traffic  |  Columns  |  Q&A     |      Twitter |    Facebook   |  phone Alerts
Posted at 9:23 AM ET, 03/ 4/2011

Red Line delays due to malfunction

By Washington Post Editors

10:10 a.m. Update: Metro says the problem on the Red Line has been resolved.

9:30 a.m. Update: Metro spokesman Steven Taubenkibel says the problem is actually a switch malfunction near New York Avenue. Crews are on site making repairs, he said.

Original post: A track circuit malfunction at Rhode Island Avenue is causing delays on the Red Line in both directions.

The Post's Lisa reports that she has been on a train about 30 minutes at Takoma. Staff writer Tim Craig said two trains at Dupont Circle have been offloaded.

What are you seeing? Post a comment below.

By Washington Post Editors  | March 4, 2011; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Metro, Red Line  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's transportation roundup
Next: Union Station could add stairs


Why does Metro charge us "rush hour" rates, even when single-tracking or experiencing long delays and malfunctions?
I entered Metro Center at 5:40 p.m. yesterday, and the electronic signs said the next train to Glenmont would be 5 minutes. It stayed that way for 20 minutes, then showed "2" for another 10 minutes, then went blank. Meanwhile six trains going toward Shady Grove zoomed in and out of the station on the opposite side, while hundreds of people accumulated on the Glenmont side. Finally, a Metro announcement was made that the next Glenmont train was "approaching Farragut North," the next station to the northwest. That train finally showed up, displaying "No Passengers" signs (it did have a few people on board) and did not stop. New announcement: "The next train to Glenmont is leaving Farragut North" and it arrived at 6:20 pm - but could only accommodate a portion of the huge crowd that had been waiting on the platform for 40 minutes or more. I arrived at Takoma station at 6:40 pm, a full hour after entering the system for my 20-minute commute. The fare? "Peak of the peak" rush-hour, $3.10 vs.the $2.60 i should have been charged, for non-peak service after 6pm. This is insult to injury!

Posted by: tommyhall | March 8, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.

characters remaining

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company