Reds-Cards brawl triggered by Brandon Phillips' comments

After saying some bad things about the St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips tried to make nice with Cards catcher Yadier Molina, giving him a little love tap with the bat as he stepped into the batter's box in the first inning of the Cards-Reds game Tuesday night in Cincinnati. Molina was having none of it and a brawl erupted, resulting in the ejection of managers Tony LaRussa (a plus for the Cardinals) and Dusty Baker.

"He talked bad about my team, he talked bad about me," Molina said on a postgame interview with Fox Sports Midwest. "Don't talk bad and come up and say 'hi' to me. That's stupid."

What, exactly, were the fightin' words? Well, here you go, from Rob Neyer and Hal McCoy :

"I'd play against these guys with one leg. We have to beat these guys. I hate the Cardinals. All they do is [bleep] and moan about everything, all of them, they're little [same bleep, plural], all of 'em. I really hate the Cardinals. Compared to the Cardinals, I love the Chicago Cubs. Let me make this clear: I hate the Cardinals."

With their 8-4 victory Tuesday night, the Cards moved ahead of the Reds (if only by percentage points) in the battle for first place in the National League Central Division. St. Louis has, let's say "possessed" the Reds this season: they're 9-5 against Cincy and have won the first two games of the series. Game 3 is this afternoon. Oooh, mama.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 11, 2010; 5:37 AM ET
Categories:  MLB
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tiger Woods practices for PGA as swing coach watches
Next: LeBron James takes names after reportedly hiring rabbi

Comments

"...the Cards moved ahead of the Reds into first place in the National League Central Division."

The two teams are tied for first, at least this morning. Things may change this afternoon.

Posted by: stevepants | August 11, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Cards are ahead by percentage points: .563 to .561. I'll note that!

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 11, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

It's baseball. Call me in October when I care... as long as there's no football on...

Posted by: NovaMike | August 11, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

You'll get little argument from me, NovaMike. But this is good vid and it's key because the second-place team in the NL Central isn't likely to get a wild card. But, yeah, bring on the fubball.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 11, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Bring on football. It's a much easier sport to follow for those of us with limited attention spans. Baseball requires way too much thinking and attention.

Posted by: logan9 | August 11, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Make sure the cameras are rolling when Steinberg comes in, taps your desk and says hello.

Posted by: dcborn61 | August 11, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Phillips is right, the Cardnials are the biggest whiners in MLB and LaRussa is the chief whiner. I hope MLB sits Carpenter down for about 10 games and Molina for about 5 himself. And no, I'm not a Reds fan.

Go Nats!!

Posted by: CHAMP1464 | August 11, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

It's dumb for Phillips to say those words and then act as nothing was said. The whole team should have known the posibility of something happening was very high. I'm surprised they just didn't throw at Phillips.

Posted by: dodgertown | August 11, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I am waaay into footbal more than baseball....but baseball has its own charms and does provide some entertainment between NFL/NHL seasons, so I don't hate. That said the baseball season is extremely to long. I find from July 5th till about August 25th its unwatchable. I get pumped for first few months and then the home stretch. I also find playoff baseball to be very enjoyable.

Sorry not sure why I just shared all of that....carry on.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 11, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

How many World Series victories does Cindy Boren have?

Posted by: edbyronadams | August 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

That roid rage can sometimes just boil over.

Posted by: mizage | August 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

As a footnote, Molina homered in the game.

While baseball keeps me occupied during the summer:

bring on the HOCKEY

Posted by: CF11555 | August 11, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Man, all Phillips said was dude looked like Antoine Dodson...and he got mad.

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 11, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"...resulting in the ejection of managers Tony LaRussa (a plus for the Cardinals) and Dusty Baker."

A plus for the Cardinals?!? Tony LaRussa is the third most winning manager in the history of baseball. Good thing Ms. Boren is writing in DC because her smarmy, uninformed comments about baseball wouldn't last long in a baseball town like St. Louis.

She should stick to writing about the Redskins' "winning" tradition since Snyder took over. There's a study in excellence.

Posted by: blpeyton | August 11, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Pffft, you call this a fight?"

-Pedro Martinez

Posted by: pswift00 | August 11, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Bench clearing brawls are VERY COOL! I think they're funny! I wish more brawls would occur during baseball games. For the most part baseball is pretty boring to watch so why not brawl or two to liven things up a bit!

Posted by: montana123 | August 11, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

scr@w LaPussa, montana. he has gotten more outta 'roids than anyone at Oak and StL...

tks Cards, for sending my Padres Ludwick!

Posted by: mloaks | August 11, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

".......... the Cards moved ahead of the Reds (if only by percentage points) in the battle ................."

What do the mean "if only by percentage points"? What else would you use to measure a lead other than percentage points?

I think it's hard for most people to relate to "they're ahead by 2 potatoes, 3 heads of lettuce, an ox, and 3 small chickens".

Posted by: Bcamp55 | August 11, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I love it when grown adults who make millions doing literally nothing for society besides entertainment get into a fight for no reason. The only thing worse? When supposed journalists who work for one team or another report with an obvious bias. This last point is true of all announcers, especially the snarky bros at ESPN when they call their precious SEC football games.

Posted by: broode | August 11, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

If there is any jerk I can't stand in MLB it is Tony LaRussa. He he gets steamed over imagined slights . Once when he managed the White Sox, they were playing the Orioles in the playoffs. Scott MacGregor, a born again Christian who never threw at any batter, accidentally hit a Sox player in the foot. When the O's came up, he ordered his pitcher to nail Cal Ripken. Cal took 1st. Then the pitcher knocked Eddie Murray down. Eddie got up, dusted himself off and sent the next pitch to the seats.
I wouldn't whiz on LaRussa if he was on fire.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 11, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Cindy Boren: why is a woman reporting on a men's sport? You don't know diddly squat about the subject. Go back in the kitchen where you belong.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | August 11, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The only way baseball game can be made exciting is a brawl. Otherwise it is as dull as watching paint dry. There is more action in tennis.

Posted by: SSTK34 | August 11, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Yes, when its baseball or Hockey or NASCAR its ok to brawl, in fact fans love it and some encourage it to make the sport more interesting. When its the NFL or the NBA those same people are disgusted with the athletes behavior and they are considered thugs and prima donnas who dont deserve to be paid the money for what they do. HMMMMMMMMM.... Why is that? Perception is a Mother Effer.

Posted by: ged0386 | August 11, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

The YouTube video is blocked by MLB Media due to copyright. The link to that video is here: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10812129&topic_id=8877984&c_id=stl

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 11, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Brandon Phillips. Don't shoot your mouth off and then get swept at home. Very bush league.

Posted by: cfeher | August 11, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse