Brett Favre to retire from NFL

Updated at 2:22 p.m.

Brett Favre will retire, according to a report in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

An NFL source has confirmed the report for The Post's Mark Maske.

Favre, 40, reportedly began telling Vikings officials late Monday that he would retire for the third time, NFL sources told the newspaper, which added that Vikings officials and Favre's agent, Bus Cook, did not returns calls seeking comment.

Vikings Coach Brad Childress would not confirm the report in remarks to the media after the team's training camp practice in Mankato, Minn. "I'm not a big hearsay person," Childress said. "I'm a 'horsesay' guy. I've got to hear it from the horse's mouth."

Favre, according to the paper, has chosen to retire rather than return for his 20th NFL season because his left ankle, on which he had surgery this spring, has not responded the way he'd hoped. He did not report to camp, which opened Friday.

Because of his multiple retirements, past indecisiveness and belated decision this time, the Favre rumors are generating a range of reaction, from snark to skepticism.

Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe, in an interview with ESPN News, said that Favre had talked with teammates and admitted that he thought that Favre's decision is always subject to change.

"He did it last year. ... Somehow, some way his body miraculously felt better last year so hopefully it will feel better this year," Shiancoe said. "You can't be too surprised with Favre because you never know with him."

ESPN's Jeff MacGregor tweets: Pacing back & forth as he decides retirement, Favre accidentally completes Redskins conditioning test.

Adam Schefter of ESPN points out, via Twitter, that "Had Favre retired after season, Minnesota's quarterback this season could have been Donovan McNabb, Jason Campbell or Marc Bulger." And "one other option the Vikings would have had at quarterback, the most intriguing one of all." ... Ben Roethlisberger

Coach Mike Shanahan, whose team plays the Vikings on Nov. 28 at FedEx Field, is squarely in the skeptical camp. After the Redskins' training camp practice Tuesday, he said "I'll have to see it before I believe it."

By Cindy Boren  |  August 3, 2010; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LeBron James takes out ad to say thanks -- to Akron
Next: Redskins, one week into camp, get graded. Yes, it's very early.

Comments

This is bad for the Vikings. I'm pretty sure there only other QB's are Sage Rosenfels and Joe Webb. Rosenfels is a very capable backup but he is not going to lead this team to where it wants to be.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

He will change his mind by the third pre-season game, he loves the drama.

Posted by: DCFanatic | August 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

bout time good player but bout time

Posted by: mnj85 | August 3, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Again?

Posted by: AxelDC | August 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Finally, your own blog. But Favre? Retiring? Puhlease.

Posted by: Megskin | August 3, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Brett is jealous of the all the attention Fat Albert is getting.

Posted by: tsbrul1 | August 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Brett is jealous of the all the attention Fat Albert is getting.

Posted by: tsbrul1 | August 3, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

You beat me to it.

Brett will be back to throwing awful picks at the worst possible time by week 3.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

its got to be somebody else to talk about then farve and fat albert come on reporters u guys are gettin lazy

Posted by: mnj85 | August 3, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'll believe it when I see it. ...Oh wait, we did see it two years ago and it turned out to be not true. The 40-year-old boy who cried wolf. I'm beyond caring.

Posted by: bucinka8 | August 3, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mnj85 | August 3, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You should look at The Early Lead's recent posts. Plus, if I were a blogger I would post about this.

Posted by: Dash10 | August 3, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I don't know which I hate more - Favre or the Vikings. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth here in Minnesota, and I'm going to enjoy every delicious minute.

Until he unretires in the third week. Then, it will be unbearable again.

Until he chokes in the playoffs again.

It's a sick merry-go-round, but at least I enjoy the result.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 3, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

What, again?

Posted by: ceebee2 | August 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

And it begins...

Again.

Wake me when it's over.

Posted by: HughJassPhD | August 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Meg! I am beyond thrilled and honored. Welcome. My joy will be complete if Haiku Man and Dorf join us.
What are the chances Favre comes back Nov. 28 against the Redskins at FedEx?

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 3, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Favre,
You don't know me, but I know you. I have hated you for a very long time being I am a huge Vikings fan and you used to be the star of a team I shall not mention. I must say you did provide me with humor during your Jet days, however it was when you became a Viking that you won me over. Even though I was angry and hurt by the way the Vikings lost their last game (it was rediculous as we all know) I am ready to forgive you because I know this year, together, we will go all the way. Please, Brett, do not leave me just as I've grown to love you. I want you on my team because I want a superbowl win and it will take everyone playing their most fantastic to get it. Please stay.

Posted by: girlunordinary | August 3, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I wanna be like Favre. So, I am retiring. Now I am playing again. Now I am retiring again. I want to come back now. This time I am really retiring. Nope, I am back. Now, I will retire. I still want to play. Now, I want to retire again.

Posted by: baldinho | August 3, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Given the history, it's entirely possible that Favre will start in that November 28 game and McNabb will not.

(I hate the NFL sometimes.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 3, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I suspect he wants to collect Social Security now, and you can't while you are still working....

Favre needs to stop being the drama queen at the center of attention and move on to a new endeavor.

Posted by: clarkesq | August 3, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Brett Favre to retire? For how long?

Posted by: AnotherContrarian | August 3, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

(And yes, that was a reverse jinx on injury to Macca.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 3, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Nate! The great Nate!

This could open up a spot for Sage Rosenfels. Maybe Colt "Cult of" Brennan!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This sounds just like the old Saturday Night Live skit about Franco still being dead.

Posted by: Garak | August 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it: Favre is creating drama so the media would foist attention to him. He NEEDS to RETIRE! This would give the team time to find a QB instead of being in a hurry.

Posted by: beeker25 | August 3, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sage is pretty good. I hope he finally gets his chance now.

Posted by: nuzuw | August 3, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Why is this a front page banner headline?

You're the Washington Post for crying out loud.

Posted by: bisonaudit | August 3, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

And if you believe this . . .

Posted by: seaduck2001 | August 3, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Again?

Posted by: mssnatchquatch | August 3, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Easiest job in town. Only eligible to play 1/2 the game (offense), spends most of the time waiting for referee decisions, standing around in huddles, standing around during TV timeouts. When actually playing the game the running plays average 3 seconds, pass plays 8 seconds - then stand around for a minute or so. Why would he give that up? Pro football is a series of brief interludes during 3 hours of commercial advertising. It's a good example of how millions of people can be suckered by slick hucksters.

Posted by: dubhlaoich | August 3, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Redskins angle to the Favre drama...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 3, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Look out the skins will trade Mcnabb to the viks for a bunch of pick and Rosenfeild who knows the off.

Not great but it would help out in the long term any way

just a thought

Posted by: joevick2 | August 3, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Favre retiring? Is this news anymore?

Posted by: forgetthis | August 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Once again Boren regurgitates and adds nothing. Is that all this blog is gonna be? Why have it at all then?

Posted by: JDP_ | August 3, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Dagnabit just when I get back in the water my stoopid computer goes well rather doesn't go then guy comes and fixes it and then it doesn't go some more.

Favre needs to take a ride on the Smoot boat of dreams and leave us all alone. . .of course what would ESPN have to talk about then? Oh wait right the LeBron ad and the non existant drama at the Bengals camp.

Oh look the middle schoolers have found the blog . . .I was hoping we'd have more than 24 hours . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 3, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"What are the chances Favre comes back Nov. 28 against the Redskins at FedEx?"

Magic 8-Ball says: it is certain.

Posted by: Megskin | August 3, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

There's a Smoot boat of dreams?

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 4, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse