Rogers Clemens enters 'not guilty' plea in federal court

Updated 2:07 p.m.

Roger Clemens has entered a not guilty plea to six charges of lying to Congress in connection with use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Updated 1:10 p.m.

Roger Clemens has arrived for his 2 p.m. arraignment at U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton of the District of Columbia has issued a gag order in the high-profile case, The Post's Spencer Hsu reports. That's means we're left with independent observations, such as:

Clemens & lawyers eating in court cafeteria. Soup of the day? Chicken rice. Also a nice "pasta toss" station w/french breadless than a minute ago via ÜberTwitter

Filed at 7:40 a.m.

Roger Clemens, seven-time winner of the Cy Young Award, will be arraigned Monday afternoon in a U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Clemens will appear before Judge Reggie Walton on a six-count indictment that alleges he lied to Congress about his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment states that Clemens obstructed a February 2008 inquiry by the House Oversight and Government Affairs Committee by denying under oath that he had ever used steroids or human growth hormone. The inquiry stemmed from the Mitchell report, commissioned by baseball to uncover the depth of its performance-enhancing drug problem. Clemens and his former Brian McNamee, both appeared before the congressional committee.

McNamee testified that he had injected Clemens; Clemens denied the allegation.

Clemens faces a combined maximum sentence of 30 years in prison and a $1.5 million fine, though under U.S. sentencing guidelines, the recommended range of time is between 15 and 21 months, the Associated Press reported.

More headlines:

The indictment, via ESPN.

The Clemens defense team, via the Houston Chronicle.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 30, 2010; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  MLB
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live chat: Redskins vs. Jets in New Meadowlands
Next: Should you let your child play football?

Comments

It will be so fun to watch that arrogant scumbag get convicted.

Posted by: kenk3 | August 30, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Can he quote his ex-girlfriend Mindy McCready and just say "guys do it all the time"?

Posted by: dcborn61 | August 30, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

wow -- stupid, stupid.
Everyone knows you either plea the 5th to Congress or spill your guts. should have kept his mouth shut or admitted it. Now you gotta pay.

Posted by: millertek | August 30, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I got this in an email this morning, author unknown, but it sure covers the subject perfectly for me.

I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the picture of Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Maxine Waters, Charlie Rangel, and countless others whose names escape me now who are congressmen and women sitting in judgment of someone who lied about taking steroids when they lie, deceive, and steal from us every day. Are we talking about the same folks who don’t report all of their earnings, don’t pay their taxes, or feather their own nests or that of their spouses with government contracts, sitting in judgment of Roger Clemens? Please clarify for me…are we talking about the same people who by the sin of omission allow our borders to be a sieve and wage war against the state of Arizona for trying to protect her citizens? Surely I am mistaken that we’re not talking about the likes of Nancy Pelosi who wants to investigate 911 families or anyone else who is opposed to the victory mosque on ground zero but will not investigate who is funding the mosque.

Congress should be indicted by the American people! If we cannot throw them in jail for 30 years then we need to throw them out of office forever and push for term limits. Every day I get more incensed at the absolute disdain our “public servants” have for us - for you and me, the American people.

I cannot tell you what to do but I just had to do something to get this subject out and discussed in the clear light of day. I will be praying, and I will write my congressmen and then wait for their form letters on the supplies that we have paid for which will undoubtedly ignore any thing I said in my letter. I heard a quote on Turning Point Monday morning related to illness and it was something like “don’t deny the diagnosis but defy the verdict.” I think we can all diagnose what is wrong with our country but please don’t sit quietly by and accept the verdict.

Posted by: BrownShoeAirForcePilot | August 30, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

While driving home yesterday I was taken aback when I heard that baseball great, Roger Clemens, is being indicted for lying to Congress and could go to prison for 30 years. This email is by no means a defense of lying or a defense of steroids but I found it absolutely incredible when I heard the words “lying to Congress.” I actually found myself laughing. Was the announcer talking about the same Congress that we have in Washington ? Posted by: BrownShoeAirForcePilot
----------------------------------------
Hopfully you are not actually in the United States Air Force. Your lack of respected for the elected US government is pretty bad.

Posted by: Emmetrope | August 30, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Prison, yes. Hall of Fame, never.

Posted by: Lefty_ | August 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with much of what BrownShoeAirForcePilot said in his comment. But unlike those mentioned in his comments, Roger Clemens can not remember the last time or any time he's every been wrong.

Posted by: southernrican | August 30, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Roger Clemens to Appear in Federal Court
Seven-time Cy Young winner Roger Clemens will be arraigned on this afternoon in federal court in Washington. The former pitcher will appear before US District Judge Reggie Walton for allegedly lying to Congress about his use of steroid

Posted by: dbmetzger | August 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It is very sad to see this happen to someone we all respect. What is even more disappointing is that day after day we see the FBI, CIA, NSA and other agencies lie to congress and nothing is done. However, that said I think probation would be a good start and let the man get on with his life. If congress wants truth they should start with their own truths to the public regarding enhanced intelligence and other programs.

Posted by: midnightladyNC | August 30, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes, if you lie under oath, no matter what, you deserve to go to jail. Give him 18 months so he can get out after 1 year for good behavior. This arrogant jerk whom made millions while lying his a__ off will learn the hard way.

Posted by: jackson641 | August 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with BrownShoeAirForcePilot. Plus- has Clemens been convicted of anything yet? At least let the guy have his day in court without all of this vilification beforehand.

Posted by: kworrell | August 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

God would I like to take a Baseball Bat at these Federal Jerks!

With an Invasion of Millions, with a Burden piling up into Trillions of Dollars to support Anchor Babies, with Un-Employment from Hell and so much else going on;

I would call putting a man who does so much for the entire Central Texas community in Jail-for ALLEGED use of HGH-YEARS AGO!!!!;

at the VERY BOTTOM of a VERY LARGE Pile of things to be doing!

No wonder this Country is in the Pits, and No Wonder the Dimocrats are going to get their "Dimocrat Mascot"s handed to them in two months!

Posted by: SAINT---The | August 30, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We live in an age where blind rage fired up by slanted media coverage 24/7 helps stir blind rush to judgment on a range of issues. Economic, civil rights, religious and individual rights are all subject to such exploitations. We have witnessed the proposal for a social center that would also house a mosque several blocks from the World Trade Center at the center of a political firestorm stage managed by people who by any rational standard would be labeled as bigots of the Father Caughlin and Joe McCarthy mold. In the internet age they have dedicated slots on Fox News, blogs, radio talk show circuits and politicians to spew their distorted message of intolerance and misinformation.

This vehement verbal gusher is the equivalent of the BP spill that is causing immense damage to civil society. The rush to judgement based upon scant or slanted information in the age of the internet has profound consequences. A significant minority of people do not accept the birth or religious legitimacy of their elected president. Mosques are being targeted around the country; people are being assaulted for being muslims and a christian group declares burn-the-koran day. Roger Clemsns is being charged with perjury before Congress on a he-said-he-said scenario; Clemens refutes the statements of his accuser that he injected the steroids into the hero. The outcome is immaterial. The man's reputation is destroyed and he would have to hunker down and live with a lifetime of snickering abuse. Clemens will end up feeling like a lot of Muslim citizens in America.

It is sad indeed that so many fundamental rights are being denied is this age of rage, from presidents, to individual citizens and religious minorities. One can only hope that the silent saner majority of society will rush to repudiate this socio-political black hole as it has done in the past and restore the fundamental vision of the founding fathers.

Posted by: drne | August 30, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Lying will not get you jail time but lying under oath will. That is the difference between Congress and Clemens.

Posted by: oakiedokie1 | August 30, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Come on mom and dad! Why shouldn't I use drugs to get ahead in my sport? All the best recent guys in the big leagues did, and they made millions and are in all the record books. People don't care about playing fair, they just want to see you WIN."

Posted by: gce1356 | August 30, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Like some before me, I laughed when I heard he was being indicted for lying to Congress. If he did lie, they would not recognize his testimony if he did not lie. They have the patent on lying. What a travesty. I suggest striking that charge.

Posted by: gsms69 | August 30, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

What a joke! If everyone who lied to Congress (or during a Congressional session) were indicted, the population of D.C. would drop to around zero. Wonder why they've indicted some sports people? Did the "Justice" Department decide that since they went after Bonds, they needed a white guy for 'affirmative action' purposes?

Posted by: rcoveringdem | August 30, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So why is it illegal to lie to Congress but it's ok for Congress to lie to the entire country?

Posted by: nubeldorf1 | August 30, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Any conservative that thinks Washington is wasting our tax dollars by pursuing Clements for lying to Congress should look back on the Lewinsky debacle as an example. Except that this case is much more serous and Clements deserves to be punished. This is not a personal matter. This is usage of illegal performance enhancing drugs that has ruined the credibility of an industry.

Posted by: stukushner | August 30, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

..."Hey Roger, what happened, don't you know it's wrong to tell a "LIE" and illegal to "LIE" under Oath!

I will enjoy watching you go to jail, that's just where you belong, and that's what happens when you LIE!

Posted by: ztcb41 | August 30, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

With all the issues this country is faced with, the elected hacks have/will waste time on dopes in baseball. GMaFB!

Posted by: whocares666 | August 30, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"It is very sad to see this happen to someone we all respect. What is even more disappointing is that day after day we see the FBI, CIA, NSA and other agencies lie to congress and nothing is done. "

Such nonsense.
Ask any Boston fan if they respect Clemens, or anyone who watched him throw a bat-shard in the playoffs.

Or anyone who seriously suspect that he's a doper, a lying doper.

And if you've got so much proof that those branches of government lie to Congress on a daily basis, then why not give it to Congress and let them all be indicted for lying to Congress as well. You have nothing.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | August 30, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Roger Clemens told congress, that "Andy Pettitte and Brian McNamee misremembered"!! haha lol Yeah right!!! This dude is going to jail.

Today Roger told the judge, "Andy Pettitte and Brian McNamee misremembered your honor". When all your co defendants turn states witnesses on you it's time to take the deal Roger. Nobody believes you dude and you are going to jail.

Posted by: gokusc1 | August 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

If Clemens didn't use steroids, why did his head grow so large and muscular?

Dang, he's ugly.

Posted by: spro | August 30, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone honestly think that Clemens is now going to admit that he lied initially to Congress. But then I have to wonder-would Congress recognize a lie?

Posted by: theo1 | August 30, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

wait. congress is pressing charges because someone lied to THEM? oh boy.

Posted by: Waffle1 | August 30, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how long this will take and the amount of tax dollars will be wasted.

Way to go Congress, nice to see you have your priorities straight. (Detecting the sarcasm yet???)

Posted by: ericroks | August 30, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: qoph | August 30, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Republicans in Congress lie every time they say they're working in the interest of the American people. For them, it's all about raiding the treasury and lining their own pocket. Why is it socialist to feed poor people but good ol' fashioned capitalism to give huge tax breaks to rich people who don't need them and sap more resources than the average person. That's real wealth redistribution!

Posted by: Misty630 | August 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what Clemens did or did not do...

I do know Congress is taking the time and taxpayer money to prosecute a base ball player. I don't want my taxes spent going after athletes for heaven sake. I want my tax dollars spent to investigate and prosecute real miscreants like G.W. Bush and Dick Cheney for lying to Congress about WMD... and the CEOs of Big Tobacco who perjured themselves before Congress... and the recent Banksters with their lies. Something is really wrong with this picture.

Ignore Clemens... it doesn't really matter when there are so many more important issues.

Posted by: Souffiere7 | August 30, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

_______
Hell, I'd lie to Congress too....they've been lying to us for decades....

Posted by: WildBill1 | August 30, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Do you suppose our Founding Fathers would countenance Congress investigating sports?

Posted by: dexterpeabody | August 30, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jackson641 | August 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse
______
Really? So Bill Clinton should have gone to prison for lying under oath too? Or is it a double-standard for Democrats?

Posted by: WildBill1 | August 30, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

goph coughed: "Roger Clemens, like Pete Rose, is one of the greatest who ever played the game. A Hall of Fame without them is a joke. It's about the baseball."

Really? I was thinking baseball with them is a joke. It's about the cheating.

Posted by: washpost16 | August 31, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Really? I was thinking baseball with them is a joke. It's about the cheating.

Posted by: washpost16 | August 31, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse