Stephen Strasburg: Surgery news brings swift reactions

Updated at 2:32 p.m.

Stephen Strasburg will undergo ligament replacement surgery...the sports world reacts:

From the Blogosphere:

William Yoder, The Nats Blog:

Yes, this is scary that our $15 million arm is going under the knife. Yes, it is scary that we wont get to witness his fastball for 18 months, and yes names like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood are swirling around yet again in comparison, however we must remember that Tommy John surgery is almost 90% effective, and is so useful that some players are volunteering for the procedure.
They caught the elbow injury before he pitched himself into a shoulder injury. This is sad, but it is fixable.

Jordan Ruby, SB Nation DC:

One of the reasons the Nationals waited to bring Stephen Strasburg up until the middle of June, was that it delayed the countdown towards the time when he would become eligible for arbitration.
Unfortunately for the organization, Strasburg will accumulate service time while he is on the disabled list recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Adam Kellogg, And Counting

The MRI of Stephen Strasburg's divine cannon of retributive wrath arm indicates he will probably need life-threatening career-ending your basic, run-of-the-mill Tommy John surgery, a procedure rendered so simple by modern medicine you can get it done in the food court at Walmart. I can't count the number of times in the last hour I've heard him compared to Mark Prior. Seriously, it would be like keeping up the count of hamburgers McDonald's has served in history. Suffice it to say, the comparison has now been made billions and billions of times.
I even made the comparison. Shame on me.

William F. Yurasko, William World News

The sad news that Washington Nationals rookie starter Stephen Strasburg likely needs Tommy John surgery was revealed this morning. When I got the conference call invitation, I figured the news would be good: "why would they invite bloggers for bad news?" So, credit goes to the Nats, I guess, for letting us in with the good and bad.

Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Well, ain't this a kick in the teeth? Sometimes you can do everything right, and have it all go wrong. That's the story of DC, and the story of baseball.

From TwitterWorld...

@JPosnanski Heartbroken about Strasburg and Tommy John surgery. The perils of young pitching.

@markschlereth Strasburg injury looked just like my son [Daniel Schlereth, Detroit Tigers]. Good news is Tommy John has become a no brainer.

@Troginator: The caps should just trade ovechkin now before a piano falls on him this weekend.

@wzzntzz us neither. but totes wanted 2b him neverday. RT @MikeWiseguy: I wouldn't want to be Rob Dibble today.

@joe_sheehan Baseball sucks sometimes.

@mikemadden: BREAKING: Nationals announce 2011 attendance to be worst in major leagues.

@kevin_reiss @dcsportsbog Don't forget to wrap John Wall in bubble wrap.

@mlabovich So..basically by the time #Strasburg is healthy, Zimmerman will be a free agent. Awesome. #Nats

@JeffPassan Amazing that Stephen Strasburg was as good as he was with a UCL that, in all likelihood, was hanging by a few fibers. Imagine him healthy.

@dre_k As sad as this news is, I want to add my voice to those who are enjoying blasting Dibble this morning. #nats #strasburg

@WesStull Well, #strasburg was good while he lasted. This was a worry of mine in spending all that money...

@jcgerstner #Strasburg = Kerry Wood 2.0.

@tkoriordan This is a damn shame.

@MarkMazz #Strasburg #TommyJohnsurgery Gotta hope he comes back healthy next yr. Just proves no matter how much u baby a pitcher these things happen.

@BHarsh Wait? did you hear that? That was #ESPN (Entire #Strasburg Programming Network) just heard about the TJ surgery... NOOOOOOOOOOO!! #MLB #Nats

@lcmayer32 #Strasburg the next #Prior

@Unsilent This is all Tony Gwynn's fault!

@jbeardsley Let's just remember #Dibble didn't cause Strasburg's injury. He's just a buffoon with a big mouth. Get well Stephen.

@j4ffl Well, maybe in 2012 the Nats will have their Tommy John twins pitching and Harper in the outfield. #DelusionalOptimism

@PeterKing_SI RT @ArmenKeteyian: I don't think I've felt worse about a piece of sports news than about Stephen Strasburg. What a blow to baseball ...Amen.

@marklisanti So glad that Rob Dibble has been vindicated. Only whiny poopy-diaper babies get cadaver tendons grafted into their arms.

@Jerry_Brewer Guess we can stop being so hard on the #Mariners for winning their way out of the Strasburg pick in '08.

@RFK_raccoon So that's it for #Strasburg? I've had Twinkies last longer than his career.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 27, 2010; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Nationals , Stephen Strasburg
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Glenn Beck rally: Albert Pujols, Tony La Russa scheduled to appear
Next: Stephen Strasburg: What is Tommy John surgery?

Comments

Anyone heard from Big Mouth Rob Dibble? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I look forward to seeing if he's as loud when he's proven completely wrong.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | August 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Game over, man!

Posted by: richs91 | August 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

There goes this year's World Series chances!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | August 27, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It's not a big deal, and it is likely...when pitchers have a should injury they usually adjust there throwing motion slightly and then wreck there elbow. He'll be back...sucks, but he'll be back.

Posted by: khornbeak | August 27, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Considering John Patterson and Shawn Hill never recovered from their forearm ligament surgeries and 90% of TJ surgery come back, a lot of times even stronger, I think this isn't such a bad thing. He blew his arm out early. We dont have to worry about it happening when the team is good in a few years, right?

Posted by: jmurray019 | August 27, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

This is sad.

I'm not a Nats fan, but I am a Stras fan. Seems like such a good kid too.

When I read this the first thing that came to me was Dibble saying "Play through the pain."

Dibble is an idiot.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 27, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Sadly, I'll bet Dibble is dumb enough to stand by his previous comment.

Posted by: RCBJr | August 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember Tommy John when he pitched for the Yankees for some 8 years .... 1979-'81 part of '82 and '86-'89 ...

I don't recall him being a medical doctor, no less a reconstructive surgeon; yet he apparently has performed thousands of very successful arm ligament surgeries.

Nice work, Tommy!

Posted by: Hazmat77 | August 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The major problems that I see is that this happened so soon, only months after entering the majors, where he had to bear down on every batter except the pitcher. It is even more scary that it happened only weeks after an appearance on the DL for his SHOULDER.

What this is suggesting to me is that Strasburg's delivery is awfully hard on the arm. It is effective, he strikes people out, but it takes an awful lot out of him. I have no doubt he will be back in 2012, tossing fireballs at the plate.

But for how long?

Posted by: Nemo24601 | August 27, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

NASCAR fan here. Our drivers last at least 10 or 20 years and most never miss a race. Granted baseball is 162 games a year but, how many games has this guy played? For how many years? For HOW much money?? I'm disgusted, myself.

Posted by: indy474 | August 27, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I just turned 55. Will I live to see pennant race baseball in Washington, much less postseason play? Today's news diminished the chances of either.

Ah, the curse of being a D.C. baseball fan.

Posted by: VPaterno | August 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news nascar fan, turning left isnt a sport.

Posted by: plasma411 | August 27, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"@MikeButeau For #Nationals fans freaking out over #Strasburg. Braves P Tim Hudson had TJ surgery 2 yrs ago. He's 14-5 with a 2.28 ERA this year."

THAT was very comforting to know. Thank you, Cindy, for posting this.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse