Tiger Woods' ex-wife Elin Nordegren: 'I've been through hell'

elin.jpgUpdated 1:12 p.m.

Finally, the voice of Elin Nordegren is heard.

Nordegren, who maintained her silence through the finalization of her divorce from Tiger Woods on Monday, told People magazine "I've been through hell," describing her anguish and humiliation at learning of Woods' serial philandering, her decision to move forward as a single mother, and Woods' Thanksgiving 2009 car crash -- the night her marriage began to dissolve.

For openers, Nordegren, whose ex-husband has been fodder for tabloid headlines and talk-show jabs for the last nine months, professed to have had no idea that he was cheating and said she was "blindsided" by the affairs.

"I never suspected, not a one," she said. "For the last 3½ years, when all this was going on, I was home a lot more with pregnancies, then the children and my school. ...

"I felt stupid as more things were revealed -- how could I not have known anything? The word 'betrayal' isn't strong enough. I felt embarrassed for having been so deceived. I felt betrayed by many people around me. ... Initially, I thought we had a chance, and we tried really hard."

Woods, preparing to play in The Barclays tournament this week, was asked Tuesday afternoon for his reaction to the People interview. "I certainly understand that she is sad and I feel the same way."

Saying that he wishes "her the best" and "it's a sad time in our lives," he added:
"You don't ever go into a marriage looking to get divorced. I've made a lot of errors in my life and it's something I have to live with."

The seemingly daily discovery of another dalliance was, she said, an "emotional roller coaster" that caused her hair to fall out. And there were the unflattering "Saturday Night Live" and "South Park" parodies of Woods' car crash that Nordegren admits were "pretty hysterical" -- as well as "totally untrue."

Her version of the Thanksgiving car crash: she did not attack Woods or cause him to drive into a tree as he left their Orlando home.

"There was never any violence inside or outside our home," she said. "The speculation that I would have used a golf club to hit him is just truly ridiculous. Tiger left the house that night, and after a while when he didn't return, I got worried and decided to look for him. That's when I found him in the car. I did everything I could to get him out of the locked car. To think anything else is absolutely wrong."

Ultimately, she decided to divorce Woods, despite his public apology. She purchased a home in her native Sweden and, according to some reports, got as much as $700 million in the settlement. She and Woods will share custody of their two children, Sam, 3, and Charlie, 19 months.

"I am now going to do my very best to show [the children] that alone and happy is better than being in a relationship where there is no trust," she said.

Nordegren, who credits her children, family, friends and therapy with helping her through the turmoil, tells of her sadness on one particular day after leaving Woods. "I wasn't crying, but I was thinking and was sad," Nordegren said. Sam, she said, asked her: "Mommy, where is your boo-boo?"

"I smiled at her and said, 'Mommy's boo-boo is in her heart right now, but it will be better,'" Nordegren said. "She looked at me and said: 'Can Sam kiss it and make it better? Or maybe popcorn will.'"

The next step, Nordegren says she knows, is forgiveness.

"I know I will have to come to forgiveness and acceptance of what has happened for me to go on and be happy in the future," she said. "And I know I will get there eventually."

More headlines:

Gallery: Tiger Woods: From Hero to Zero.

Wilbon on Woods: Tiger's return is good for golf but is it good for him?

Jenkins on Woods' golf game: Tiger struggles in PGA.

Woods' worst showing: Ryder Cup berth is in jeopardy.

Woods' indefinite leave: Tiger takes a timeout from golf.

Tiger in treatment: Woods checks in to Mississippi facility.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 25, 2010; 7:42 AM ET
Categories:  Tiger Woods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cowher supports Shanahan in battle with Haynesworth
Next: Jim Furyk oversleeps, is disqualified from The Barclays

Comments

Elin has shown nothing but grace and dignity throughout this whole episode. I applaud her for no disparaging remarks about Tiger other than the obvious about her feelings - which are understandable.
She is willing to move on. This is no one else's business other than the parties involved.

Posted by: ingrid4 | August 25, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

LOL... Been through Hell ??? Hay rich milf, you just got a divorce, you didn't survive a mine disaster. get real...

Posted by: thegwoe | August 25, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Is that the smile of someone who's been through hell?

Posted by: James10 | August 25, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

You can "applaud her for no disparaging remarks about Tiger" all you want, but my guess is that disparaging remarks about Tiger would cost her a lot of money.

Posted by: McBride33 | August 25, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: georgedixon1 | August 25, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

She's been through hell and is about to be in heaven, thinking of ways to soothe her pain with the $700 million!! Someone please put me through that hell - soon!! I've been through hell and back and have no millions to make it better. My bad, I know. Thanks Elin for the lesson.

Seriously, she does seem to have handled this situation with class. She will probably use the money well to take care of herself and her kids and hopefully donate some to worthy causes.

Posted by: DCcomm | August 25, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I see the idiots are out early this morning (re: james10 & thegwoe).... I for one agree with ingrid4 this is NO ONE BUSINESS but the parties involved. And the only reason it even made the news was because of who "he" is... I'm pleased that Elin has the strength and character that she has ... Good luck to her and her children!! And I hope that in spite of all that has gone on for the past year or so they are ALL able to move forward in a more positive direction for the sake of themselves ...their sanity...and the children.....

Posted by: ReflectionofLyfe | August 25, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

She sounds like a very classy woman. On the other hand, Tiger isn't good enough to clean her house.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | August 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Child-soldiers in the Congo have been through hell.

You stubbed your toe, and when you bent down, you found $700 Million Dollars.

Posted by: thinkingcap | August 25, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

She would have garnered a lot more support if she would keep her mouth close. They have children and for the children to know what their father did to their mother is bad enough but now for her to open her mouth it shows she wants to try get even.

Posted by: rlj1 | August 25, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey "georgedixon1", thanks for posting the morning racism! I can always count on you white sheet wearers to show up in any WP discussion and ruin it. It's sad that you hide behind the computer to spread your hate.

Posted by: JAMNEW | August 25, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

It is despicable that any man would philander to such an extent with so many questionable partners and risk bringing a disease into the family home. That kind of betrayal is difficult to forgive, if ever. There is no absolute protection against bodily fluids. This is more than a betrayal of vows on an emotional level. She need not say one word more on the ordeal. It is clear to me what any wife/mother would feel discovering your husband/father of your children was intimate with so many, like stray animals on the street.

Posted by: nana4 | August 25, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

She should be happy her gold diggin days are over, no longer does she have to put up with ugly and no personality having Tiger Woods. She's rich bit*h!!!

Posted by: devilsadvoc8 | August 25, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Good for her and Woods is a jackass.

Posted by: trumeau | August 25, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

That's a 700 million dollar smile!

Posted by: trident420 | August 25, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

betrayal is hell, an emotional hell. if you have ever been betrayed, you know it can be devastating. still hard to believe tiger cheated on her, it just does not make sense at all. instead of throwing rocks at her, perhaps the rocks should be redirected at tiger. tiger might be a great golfer but he is a loser when it comes to a committed relationship, marriage.

Posted by: joey3 | August 25, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

ReflectionofLyfe If your comment doesn't exemplify the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what does! You need to get out more; there isn't much showing character or strength here. I'm sure if you look at your community you'll find much better examples of people showing class selflessness and character! People deal with divorces infidelity and much worse every day; this girl is just a celebrity's wife so it hits the news.

Posted by: kolya02 | August 25, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

She is the daughter of a Swedish politician. She has her own money and always did. And I think this has been pretty humiliating. She's said as much as anyone should say. And this statement is so restrained she has the same respect from me that she would if she'd continued to say nothing. That smile? It's from someone who wants people to stop asking.

Posted by: digtalcomp | August 25, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

No money in the world can heal the wounds this dude has inflicted upon her...he is a disaster and needs a lot of help.

Posted by: MPNangle | August 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

been through hell .... give me $700mill under any circumstance and i will make hell my retreat center. she felt she had more to gain than been with him, it all about the Benjamin. why didn't Hillary leave Bill, there is a formula for all this. Guys, dont want to suffer the same faith, get a prenup. somebody please remind her what it take to make that kind of money, i hope she find a gigolo that will run her dry cause that is all she deserve.

Posted by: pascoyegbe | August 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The bottom line is that a"nanny" hits the divorce lottery and is set for life i have no sympathy for Tiger but she's no saint,i wish i could put Jasper Parnevik under sedation and get the truth why would he introduce a nanny to one of the richest athletes in the world, a nanny? that kind of thing only happens in a disney movie that being said she's wealthy beyond her wildest dreams and Tigers pechant for sleazy women has cost him dearly.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Without a doubt, Elin is the victim here. However, it's inaccurate to say Elin maintained her silence through the finalization of her divorce, which was just 2 days ago. She must have given this interview to People sometime in advance and they timed its release this week for the greatest effect.

I can understand why someone who profits to some extent through their public image would care about "setting the record straight" or whatever, but otherwise why even do this interview? She's moving back to Sweden, so who cares what America thinks? If you want to protect your children and maintain your privacy, then just do it (no Nike pun intended). On the other hand, she may want to stick it Tiger where it hurts. The pen is mightier than the 9 iron.

Posted by: typedancer | August 25, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The greatest golfer in the world playing on the most beautiful course in the world, opts to go to a trashy Putt-putt course to make holes in one.....and the WIND MILL got him!

Posted by: erodrik | August 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Yeah... Iam sure its really been hell... Please.

Posted by: BobbyYarush | August 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Some fools will never see past the money. Believe it or not, some people would rather have a happy home than $100 mil.

("as MUCH as $700 million," I wouldn't keep using that figure)

Posted by: kls1 | August 25, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Ah, and just like that, the singles market just got tougher... lol

Posted by: eunicedelrosario | August 25, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

OK you snarky people, there's plenty of material here for humor, but dadgummit, I'm going to take this at face value. Yeah, when you end up w/ $700M it's kind of hard to sympathize but I'll agree there are things that money can't account for and she's justified in her grievances.

'course on the other hand, for all you evolutionary biologists, you know the reason you got here in the first place is that you become the top sportsman to grab the hot babe, or that's why you doll up and snag the alpha male so maybe there's an original sin here. there's a game to be played and you play it (and you really have no choice) But one constant is not to humiliate your partner (or less cynically, to love your partner) so I'm going to believe her comments are without guile here.

Posted by: jhtlag1 | August 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't get why so many racist people comment on the WP site. WP readers in general are more intelligent than that. The area we live in is highly educated and diverse where do all the backwoods people hide during the day?

Posted by: TG10 | August 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree w/ you, joey3. What Tiger really lacks is self-control. He's going to regret losing Elin in the long run. She's quite a gem.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 25, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ingrid4 | August 25, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse
***********************************************************************************************HEY INGRID4, then SHE, yes, Elin, should STOP talking to People Magazine and the rest of the media.

Peace, Love, Dove.

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | August 25, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

None of what I am about to write, in any way, in any least of ways, should be considered an attempt at defending the miserable excuse for a human being that Eldrick Tont Woods, the cheetah who goes by the name of tiger. He eminently deserves the state he is in, an dthen some.

However, poor Elin - how the hell was she unaware of the serial transgressions pulled off by him, some in their own home? It must be that she had som enotion of it, but chose not to believe them, chose to ignore them, look the other way, as long as she enjoyed the lifestyle, with none of the embarrassment.

She has just started to talk. I hope she talks some more, and doesn't hide anything. If she does, she would help other trophy wives from going through a similar situation.

To hell with Nike. They are still in his corner, aren't they? They are as disgusting as him.

Posted by: ashrink | August 25, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

So the wife knew nothing until after the media suspected it was a love spat and broadcasted Tiger's love life. LOL! Does this count as irony?

One great statement: I am now going to do my very best to show [the children] that alone and happy is better than being in a relationship where there is no trust

Absolutely, my mom had the courage to end a bad marriage, and years later I was able to walk away from a relationship in which I was not respected. I'm glad Elin understands that her leaving is what's best for the children.

Posted by: forgetthis | August 25, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

ok, now she gets to share her side of this emotional moment, which i think is wrong.

Her focus should be moving on and getting her life together, without Tiger, taking care of the children and making her life better. Not being on the front of people magazine, and telling the horrible feelings and the hair falling out.

There is a human nature thing going on here, no excuse, but how long before women and men realize that the feeling of sex for both men and women is powerful.

She has a new home built in Sweden, she probably has a number of cars to chose from, she also has a home in various states and countries, and I am certain she has an Au Pair, and as she said she has friends (leaches), family, and lastly......$700 million dollars.

I am absolutely, certain she will be fine,so as far as getting any sympathy from me, none.

Posted by: weaverf | August 25, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

She is entitled to use her own description of how this all felt. We poor saps have no idea what it's like to have our foibles or those of our spouses splashed across every tv screen and newspaper in the world. That's not fun.

Posted by: rjma1 | August 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"She purchased a home in her native Sweden and, according to some reports, got as much as $700M...."

Why does she get so much? They were married only a few years, and he's the one that developed a skill since the age of two.

Posted by: OldenAtwoody | August 25, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Elin, You were in hell when Tiger met you... Now you'll be sh!tting in high cotton, with megabucks in child support...

Posted by: demtse | August 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@ gergeodixon1 - You racist jerk.

Posted by: delfranklin4 | August 25, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@ georgedixon1 - You racist jerk.

Posted by: delfranklin4 | August 25, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: georgedixon1
=======================

Tiger took this broad from the outhouse to the penthouse. Now he'll have to live with that mistake for at least 18 years.

Posted by: demtse | August 25, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"Hell." Complete with nannies, yachts, and no financial worries whatsoever. What a dumb, gold digging b tic h.

As for you dopes out there who think she has class and dignity, dignified people don't have anything to do with an inane rag like People. They don't read it, nor do they air their dirty laundry for all the slobbering fools who do.

Posted by: jptc111 | August 25, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Now, all you apologists for this irresponsible man can see the other side -- the shock, the pain, the humiliation ... and she didn't say so, but there had to be considerable worry -- "How many sexually transmittable diseases did this man expose me to?"

Every time I see those fans -- "Come on, Tiger" or "Get in the Hole!", I think of wooden duh-fans who have not a clue, nor a care, for what Elin Woods, now Nordegren, went through. Not an affair, not a couple of trysts, but a nearly non-ending string of dozens of mattress partners as he exercised juvenile hormones, and not a bit of restraint as a husband, mate, and father.

Stop cheering, idiots -- hope he misses that putt, puts that drive into the ocean, as I do. 'This is for Elin', I whisper as the little white ball slips past the hole...

Posted by: JPMcC | August 25, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Money may not buy happiness, but it goes a long way in comforting you in your misery."

Claire Booth Luce

Posted by: pgould1 | August 25, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

$750,000,000

I have ZER0 sympathy for you, Elin.

Posted by: vigor | August 25, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah girl! Only hell I can see "one hell of money you got there alright!" Now don't come back running to Tiger when you are left broke.

Posted by: jnlg | August 25, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Jamnew don't mind georgedixon1, he's what they call a "conservative" or what I call a mindless moronatard sheep. You can say nice weather and retards like him will find a way to make a derogatory comment about Obama. 90% of people who vote for republicans have zero clue what they're voting for, trust me. They're mindless sheep. That's why there's rush, and sean, and glen and sarah. They know that those who vote republican can't formulate independent rational thought, so they think for them. What a perk, they do the thinking for you! Over on this side we have functioning brains, so we prefer to do our own thinking. quite a novel idea.

Posted by: red2million | August 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

African-Americans are not known for their monogamy. Why should she be surprised he cheated?

Posted by: SSTK34 | August 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

African-Americans are not known for their monogamy. His father was a serial cheater. Why should she be surprised he cheated?

Posted by: SSTK34 | August 25, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

So, she's an airhead who had no idea that the tiger was a hound?

No. But, I suppose she CAN be forgiven for believing Obama was a Christian, right?

Hypocrites.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: notinva | August 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

georgedixon: "She got rid of hers, now if America can get rid of Obama our ride thru hell will end too." -- Too bad, you're stuck with a black president for some time to come. Also, the president who BROUGHT us to hell isn't black.

Elin might or might not have been a gold-digger, and judging from the state of the pro sports world, there appears to be plenty of them in America, but she is definitely a victim here. How do you like to face, on a day to day basis, so many people around you who you know might have secretly laughed at you for so long (assuming that she really didn't know about the affairs). It's got to be tremendously humiliating.

Posted by: KT11 | August 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Money grubbing princess who hooked up with fame because that's what money princesses do. Your only talent is being able to use your princess blond hair to entangle someone with uncontrollable primitive impluses and a need to show off a blond princess for a camera.

Posted by: MillionSix | August 25, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

FDA should have approved the morning after pills much earlier. If their mothers could have used them wisely, we wouldn’t have to read things like what thegwoe, james10, BobbyYarush, dargregmag, pascoyegbe, and devilsadvoc8 are writing now.

Posted by: ludu1 | August 25, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

When will the movie come on Lifetime?

Posted by: jckdoors | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I think that before people say that they have been through hell, the media should demand a certificate from the devil (or at least from St. Peter who could say, "Well, she wasn't HERE").

When you get both children, $700 million, and then say that you have been through hell, you are proving that even Swedes can be just as narcissistic and money hungry as American celebrities.

Just think, if Woods had donated that money to charity. But men would rather be robbed by ex-wives than do something for the world.

Posted by: rohit57 | August 25, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rjma1
------------------------------
And in this hype obsessed world, the only two descriptions for a situation are, "It was fun" and "It was hell."

How about, "It was unpleasant, but I did get a lot of dough, and most of the suffering was in my own mind."

Posted by: rohit57 | August 25, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

You are a rich, ex-babysitter...never made a dime much less a million. Go sit in the million dollar house that Tiger paid for a shut up.

Posted by: OneStop1 | August 25, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hell??? She should talk to women who have really been abused and they didn't end up with $700 million of their spouse's money. She been cheated on.. yes that's bad but she is young, beautiful and RICH!!! She is better off than 99.99999999% of the people in the world. Get over it.

Posted by: sovine08 | August 25, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Typical Americans - it is all about the money. Try considering marriage vows, they have importance to a person of substance.

Posted by: bgahearn | August 25, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Talk about dumb and dumber.. She had no idea he was cheating on her.. Dumb. Tiger didn't have a prenup??? Dumber.

Posted by: sovine08 | August 25, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

ingrid4, that's exactly what a married man kept saying to me at work via email when he kept insisting we go for a drink alone..."its no one else's business, its no one else's business..."

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | August 25, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Money isn't everything.....I think she knows that...but, heck, why not take the money...she is the mother of his children....the children are part of the equation too.....they are suffering too

Posted by: depaughyahoocom | August 25, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

BEEN THROUGH HELL LMAO. Just goes to show you how out of touch she is. Ive seen worse case of hell leaving an O's game after extra innings on a night game it was 1;30 am by the time we got out of the lot and about every outher porch in some ghetto area was covered with small kids the oldest couldn't have been more than 4 with no adult around.It was sad and you wonder what awaited their future.

Posted by: thomasuras | August 25, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The comment by georgedixon1 is very transparent. He, she, or it, is has a bitter taste. Be careful what you wish for. You might get it and not like it. It is amazing how the ignorant are unaware of the abuse they have experienced.

Posted by: fasm7700 | August 25, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The only people complaining on these boards about Elin are disgruntled black folks that felt like Tiger got the shaft and hosed for 700million.

Don't forget, Tiger is the one that could not control himself and slept with all those women and committed adultry. Don't blame Elin because she got what she deserved. You're the same people that probably have zero morals and are money grubbing prostitutes. Don't hate just because whitey was able to hose you because of your misstep in life.

Posted by: rickymartin94 | August 25, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Hell is finding money to pay an important bill when you don't have a job.

You are a narcissist, who has never paid a bill in her adult life.

Posted by: sufi66 | August 25, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Nothing is free in life , If tiger woods was the cashier at the corner store they would have never meet . She sad because he billionaire love story came crashing down she still wouldn't have traded that for a stable life with a guy making 80 grand a year.

Posted by: thomasuras | August 25, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Tiger's golf game will improve now that he can get back the adrenalin rush of his player lifestyle.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | August 25, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Elin's just being dramatic about her being through hell as other women have been through worse and they don't get the kind of money she gets...

She's making herself look like a saint when she isn't and having the money will certainly help as she has no talent beyond being trophy ex wife.

Posted by: beeker25 | August 25, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

That's the smile of someone who was nicely paid for her troubles.

Clearly she and Tiger agreed to stick to the story that she didn't hit him. I don't believe it for a second.

Posted by: wp11234 | August 25, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Go get him Sarah Palin!

Posted by: jnlg | August 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This woman should have suffered at all. Look at what our media has done to this poor woman, and she did nothing wrong. Leave her alone and let her get along with her life.

Posted by: randykree | August 25, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

georgedixon:Your post about now getting rid of Obama is both silly and rude--bet you watch Rush and don't miss a day watching Beck, You are another of the small thinking brainwashed wingers

Posted by: LDTRPT25 | August 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

So let me see if I get what some folks are saying. Because she gets a divorce settlement, she's not supposed to state her feelings? Comparing her experience to child soldiers in the Conga is just darn stupid. I'm sure you really care about that. She could have handled this a lot differently. I don't care if she was a former nanny or corporate exec, she was humiliated and embarrassed PUBLICALLY. She didn't get the choice like "regular" folks to handle it "PRIVATELY".

Posted by: cbj06 | August 25, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Tiger didn't do anything with the other bimbos he didn't do with her. Why should she be surprised.

Posted by: carlbatey | August 25, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Its really difficult to feel sorry for her. She chose to marry a high profile athlete and surely she realized that he would be susceptible to "indiscretions". She will end up with a large sum of money to help her start her life anew. Tiger, on the other hand, may be through as a top ranked golfer and in a few years he may be like many other pros. He may be bankrupt.

Posted by: jimeglrd8 | August 25, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

aww, did wittle georgiedixon get upset becuz i pointed out what she is? you can cry to WAPO all day long if you want to, but you're still an un-American moron. Gotta go cry to somebody? were your wittle feelings hurt georgie? ho.

Posted by: red2million | August 25, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

carlbatey tiger wasn't married to any of the other women. And we're glad to see you have such respect for women. misogynistic moronatard.

Posted by: red2million | August 25, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Before the affairs began, she's busy with kids & schooling while he's busy with golf & business. This is a typical starting point for where a lot of marriages go bad. Neither one of the couple is spending enough time tending to the relationship. I think you either get closer or grow further apart, especially in the first 10 years of a marriage. There is no neutral early on.

This in no way excuses Tiger, but it's plain that there was trouble brewing well before it boiled over into all of that tawdry excess. And if it's true that she "had no idea" anything was going on, she should share a little of the blame.

Posted by: shanks1 | August 25, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I wish I had a little of her hell. The rest of us actually have to work for our hell and many don't even have that. Does she have any perspective?

Posted by: jryan758 | August 25, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Hello . . . . !?! Does this lady play golf? What . . No . . . . she doesn't?

Soooooo . . . . . . Why do we care what she thinks or says?!?

Good-Bye Elin. Your moment of fame is over.

The rest of you out there . . . GET A LIFE!

Posted by: tifoso1 | August 25, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods has a problem. A personal problem made public because of who he is. But still a personal problem. So what does that have to do with me? or with any of the posters on this board? absolutely NOTHING.

He did not rob a bank, shoot didn't shoot anyone, he didn't steal anything from anyone. HE JUST GOT CAUGHT WITH HIS PANTS DOWN!!! ABOUT 16 TIMES!!!

Anyone else on posting here ever cheat on their significant other? Did you get away with it? or did you get caught? It's a personal matter, isn't it? Only made public because of who he is. Otherwise it's just gossip.

By the way, the posters here that are dumb enough to think that all black people live together, think together, and move in the same circles..... WE DON'T!

Tiger Woods, President Obama, they're two very different men. The only thing they have in common besides the race of one of their parents is that they're in the public eye constantly.

So stop living your lives vicariously through the lives of those in the public eye. Take a look in the mirror for a change. You may have a child that is missing some time with you while you're busy posting away on WaPo. Or you may want to guess what Wifey is doing while you're busy enjoying your online rants.

Posted by: BenThere | August 25, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Some of you are so mean, don't hate the poor woman because she's beautiful, and has $700mil

Posted by: BEEPEE | August 25, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

She came to this country to work as a nanny and, as the saying goes, "didn't have a pot to pee or a window to throw it out of." Now she's returned home as a near billionaire with "b" after being married to Tiger and having a couple of kids by him. So who got the better deal?

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | August 25, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

People like this make me sick. She's never had a rough day in her life. I'm sure in her pin size mind a broken nail is he!!....

Posted by: askgees | August 25, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

No perspective.

Poor her and her $100MM.

Anyone not realize that maybe she was a cold-fish and a witch at that?

Poor Tiger - had to go out and get some.

Regards,
Neander Thall

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | August 25, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Well since we now live in a Socialist country, I think that 700 mil should be spread evenly amongst the rest of us. Spread the wealth.

Posted by: puckhead1 | August 25, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee none of you would turn down the money. So this is what you would say "Oh no your Honor, that's too much money. I can't take that much from my cheating spouse."

Let's be real.

Posted by: Marlo2 | August 25, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SSTK34 | August 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------
A statement based on race is a racist statement. Racist make racist statements SSTK34.

Posted by: Emmetrope | August 25, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

All Tiger Woods is guilty of is messing around on his wife - something millions of men do every day. This woman is guilty of aggravated assault. She's the only criminal in all this. And now she wants us to feel sorry for her? She's crying all the way to the bank - what she probably intended to do from the start. Elin is just another one of Tiger's skanks; it's just too bad he married her.

Posted by: bobdog3 | August 25, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

W-h-o-r-e.

Posted by: googleguy | August 25, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Holla 'We Want Prenup' 'WE WANT PRENUP!'
Yeah!' It's something that you need to have
'Cause when she leave yo-ass she gonna leave with half

Posted by: bs2004 | August 25, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm not saying she's a gold digger.

But she ain't hangin' with no broke Cabralasians.

Posted by: bs2004 | August 25, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Poor poor Elin. Beautiful with 100 Million dollars heading her way. Let's all cry the blues for her.

Posted by: logcabin1836 | August 25, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

she has been thru hell to get 3/4 of a billion dollars. spare me all the bull shittt! she just happened to be the one who got to him first.

Posted by: nivla | August 25, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Popcorn is excellent therapy. Sam's got it right!

Posted by: Californian11 | August 25, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I have no sympathies for any gold-digger who marries for money.

Posted by: 809212876 | August 25, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

No amount of money can make up for what she's been through. She's demonstrated a lot of class and restraint throughout this whole mess. It's scary to think what diseases he could have transmitted to her with all his philadering ways.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | August 25, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

it was reported that she was getting 700 million SWEDISH $$ not US $$.. he doesn't have anywhere near that much $$.

It's 100 million US $$ about 700 million Swedish

Posted by: dean4 | August 25, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the typo -- left the "n" out of philandering on my recent post.

Posted by: seaduck2001 | August 25, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SSTK34 | August 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

My parents were married 50 years and my dad never cheated. Any other words of wisdom you'd like to share?

Posted by: stwasm | August 25, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Tiger's net worth is not even 7 mil, so there is no way that she received that amount. Now maybe his golf game will come back now that he can go about banging any white woman that crosses his path or any that are still breathing.

Posted by: StLou | August 25, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

My, oh my! The misogynists are wide awake today. Who knew Elin could draw them all out of the woods.

Posted by: forgetthis | August 25, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

' jptc111' -- Using phrases like 'dumb, gold digging b tic h' and 'dopes' and 'slobbering fools' -- you have the gall to use the word 'class'?!?!.

Posted by: JPMcC | August 25, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08

=======================
Good comment. I roll my eyes at "poor Elin's" victimhood.
Attractive blonde picked up by jock as trophy wife. Jock philanders as always, blonde divorces them and gets rich. Happens all the time.
Elin Nordegren just struck the mother lode of goldiggers.

Of course, some female victimhood rights advocate will stand up and say..."But, but, what potential trophy blonde out there would want the pain....the embarassment...the humiliation...the 4 years of yachts, sex, swank life and two little mealtickets - all for a measlr 100 million for such a 4-year ordeal?? If so, by all means get in the line behind me. Meet your rich and stupid and philadering jocks!"

Whereupon the victimhood advocate is trampled beneath the heels of 100 thousand wannabe trophy blondes.

Posted by: ChrisFord1 | August 25, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Tens of millions of dollars, at a minimum, for a three and a half year relationship? And all he did was cheat? First of all you have to assume a professional athlete is cheating. Second, this happens all the time to people and they're lucky if they get the trailer. Nothing like listening to rich folks whine about how hard life is.

For those keeping score, when Woods first went pro his three major endorsements (American Express, Buick & Nike) were reported at $130 million. Then there is Shick and his golf game with EA sports. And oh yeah, he won a few dollars on the tour. While celebrities have no real opportunity to not pay taxes, when it's all added up he should be doing just fine. So a hundred million US is very plausible.

Posted by: caribis | August 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Elin, I am sure you are going to be all right.

Posted by: UnknownHenson | August 25, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

you've got to love a country where a woman can go from being a nanny to a multi-millionaire just by spreading her legs.

Posted by: life386 | August 25, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Poor little white girl, did the big Black man scare you.

Posted by: life386 | August 25, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Let this be another lesson for all you rich African American sports stars. No matter how rich your are and no matter how many white women you date or marry, in the end, you are still black and your so called white fans will turn on you in a matter of minutes. When will they learn, that money will never change your race especially if a white woman is involved.

Posted by: life386 | August 25, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

In 2010 U.S. dollars, poor, frigid Elin will be the richest person ever to have gone through hell.

Think what hell Tiger's going through ... no privacy for coition ... plus ... no privacy for coition.

Posted by: perryneheum | August 25, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Those posters who have made disparaging remarks about a very classy and truly "harmed" woman only demonstrate their vulgar, vacuous, "Man-think" minds. Your fathers must have treated your mothers like drek, to have you feel that women should be so denigrated.

Elin has demonstrated sheer class and poise,and has earned every dine she gets from this little boy who is still trying to prove his manhood by screwing anything in skirts, none of whom are qualified to shine Elin's boots.

Thankfully, I was raised to respect women, and not treat them as cattle, the same as do Muslim Extremists, the same as do many of the so called "Men" on this site. May your manhood fail you from this day forward, when you need it most.

Posted by: sal723 | August 25, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I think if the genders were reversed, womens rights activists would would be complaining that physical spousal abuse was going unpunished.

What if us guys said it was OK to beat our wife with a golf club when we find out she was cheating on us?

Generally, 2-4% of men who think they are the father are not, in Western countries. That is a whole lot of cheating by women.

BTW I'm a guy who never cheated, and don't find it acceptable. But our society has determined that cheating is not a crime, while physical violence is.

Posted by: michael1977 | August 25, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: georgedixon1 | August 25, 2010 9:15 AM

Got rid of her... What?

I don't see the connection to politics in this article.

In fact, to blame our current situation on Obama (just one man!) would be insane.

I actually think the USA would be a lot better off if we could rid ourselves of all the georgedixons and all the other retarded, voting age, racist, brainwashed, sheep.

And back to the article, she's been "through hell" in a sense, but it would be much worse if Tiger were a bricklayer instead of a billionaire. She'd be walking out with basically squat.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 25, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

To Sal723: Thank you for one of the most rational posts of the day. I,too, become so weary of the endless vitriol spewed on the comment sections. (p.s. I loved the humor in your curse on the haters' "manhood").

Posted by: inmanorj | August 25, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

We all have our opinions about this couple and their foibles. Their divorce has been very public and there has been humiliation to go around. The fact that we are spending time criticizing their lives shows us that it is easier to be vocal about others' mistakes than to work on our own faults. I wish that we would be more understanding and less critical, and that the publicity foisted on them and the snarkiness of some of the comments would just go away.

Posted by: kjs11 | August 25, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

When we commit to marriage, most believe in the vows they've said to one another. Why Tiger Woods did it, is a question only he can answer honestly. I married once, divorced after 10 years, but remain good friends with my ex-husband and in-laws. We began as friend and will end up as friends. This marriage began as a news story, continued as a news story. never became a love story. Of course, Tiger didn't help. He was never ready. Elin had a clue but decided it would be worth the heartache. You can't convince me that she knew nothing. The best thing they can do is be friends for the sake of the children. Don't put them in the middle.

Posted by: skinfreak | August 25, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Waahh. Who cares?

Posted by: sage5 | August 25, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

There's a song in there...with steel guitars and fiddles.

Posted by: johnharris1 | August 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who has been betrayed by someone they loved would know that given the choice between 700 million and having that someone love you in return would choose the later.

Posted by: fixcongress | August 25, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Elin,
You gave an interview, now is time for you to scape all the media. Go home, raise your children, and avoid the limelight!
You are a young woman, won't have any financial problem as a divorcee therefore you will be much better off to be in your own Country and culture where you and your children will have a normal life! A lot of man cheat, and lies! But we women are strong, and with time we get over the hurt, trust me. I been there, and today after raising my children alone I can tell you that!

Posted by: irapinto2004 | August 25, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Elin,
I'm available and you can cheat all you want, if that'll help you feel better! You can dump me whenever you're ready. Just deposit $8mil into my account and we're good!

Posted by: ssmd11 | August 25, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

He should have had a prenup. What if she had been the one being faithful? He could have sued her for half of her nothing. By the way,he is not worth $700 million, unless she wants him to sell the Tiger Woods foundation for children. Not a bad reward for having a couple of kids and a life style of absolute opulence, private jet included. I wonder what the child support will per month will be?

Posted by: trwhitejr | August 25, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

------------------------

HIGH FIVE!

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 25, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forgetthis

--------------------------------------

It's the "I've been through hell" over-reaction. Try landing on Omaha beach. You would have gotten a real taste of it there...

Posted by: theFieldMarshall | August 25, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

She was the most expensive nany! Hope she takes good care of their children. She got more than 100 million a year. Good investment of this european nany who married a black american .

Posted by: rosalynneus | August 26, 2010 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thegwoe | August 25, 2010 9:09 AM
______________

Exactly! The fact that she spoke to a magazine about her so-called horrible ordeal drops her respectability level down 3 notches. Woman PLEASE!

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse