Yi Jianlian reportedly hurts arm in game in China

Wizards forward Yi Jianlian reportedly has suffered an arm injury playing in an international tournament in China's Liuzhou City, Pro Basketball Talk reports.

Details on the severity of the injury were not available. He reportedly was hurt in the first half of a game between China and Slovenia, according to the People's Daily Online. The website reported that he spent the second half of the game on the bench.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 2, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vuvuzelas banned by FIBA for basketball world championships
Next: Yi Jianlian and that injured arm seem just fine

Comments

I hope he didn't blow out his vuvuzela.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Yi Gads!

Posted by: richs91 | August 2, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The "Lez Boulez Curse" knows no boundaries.

Posted by: jbworldwide | August 2, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The curse is international. It knows no bounds.

Posted by: anw821 | August 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The Early Lead! I confess I shall not always care about some of these so called early leads like the one above since The Wizards are well . . . The Wizards i.e. captains of mediocrity who bestride the world of basketball arm in arm with their brothers in arms the LA Clippers . . .

But congratulations Cyn Cyty on this new venture and hopefully the atmosphere in the Early Lead will be less shall we say polluted than other places like RI.

Looking forward to my new home in cyberspace.

Posted by: sfskin | August 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Welcome sfskin! You're an MVP here.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 2, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Cindy I thought this was a sports blog. It makes me nervous to read about arms in China.

Posted by: SMACK1 | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

'Your' an idiot!
The Washington Post has an agenda against the Redskins!
The Washington Post has no sources!

Oh, wait...wrong blog. Cheers to Ms. TheCindy, and The Early Lead!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on the new blog Cindy. Looking for you to eventually compete with Steinberg for the best blog at the Post.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And Smack! And 4-12! I feel like Dorothy after she returned from Oz. This is a happy day.
I once got an email calling me an "idot" over and over again.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi Barno! Steinz is the absolute best. I'll never be able to carry his gouda.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 2, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Cut da Bum Now!!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | August 2, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I was told there'd be haiku on this blog?

In fact, I'd recommend that you adopt the Fix's lightly moderated comment configuration, just force potential posters to come up with haiku for their initial post... something witty, filled with RI insider references and perhaps a mention of a certain Dauphine.
Anything to gain that patina of exclusivity.

Posted by: daggar | August 2, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Steinz is the absolute best. I'll never be able to carry his gouda.

Well, it is rather runny.

Posted by: daggar | August 2, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"Cut da Bum Now!!!!"

Yeah really.

I emailed Ted and told him that Yi and that dude from france was such a waste of space and he told me to be patient.

I wonder what Ted is thinking now.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 2, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I love the smell of Gouda in the morning.

Posted by: efdelaney | August 2, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, Hate to burst your bubble but you are not an idiot. Love what you do on the POST!

Posted by: buddybuttons5 | August 2, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Whats with all the women reporters? We now have at least three women sports writers. Enough is enough, I dont know if we have three men in the style section, but I know we need more manly reporting about our sports teams activities.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | August 3, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

"Reports have surfaced that Yi Jianlian injured his arm playing for China in an international competition, the Stankovic Cup, held in Liuzhou, China, while getting ready for the 2010 FIBA World Championships in Turkey [hat tip to Matt Moore of ProBasketballTalk]. Initial reports only indicated that Jianlian suffered an “injury” to his right arm, and that forced him to sit out the second half of China’s loss to Slovenia. However, Jianlian came back and played in the next game against Iran ... In China’s final game of the Stankovic Cup on August 1st, Jianlian came back and led his team to another victory over Iran, 76-58. In 36 minutes Yi scored 18 points (6-17 on twos, 6-8 from the free-throw line, he did not attempt a three-pointer), grabbed 11 rebounds (six offensive), and had three blocks, two steals, an assist and five turnovers. He received specific praise for his ability to finish inside, garnering a couple three-point plays in the second half."

Posted by: SkinzFanzz | August 3, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse