Clinton Portis on wrist, Sunday's game: 'Welcome to my world'

Updated at 12:42 p.m.

Clinton Portis is making his weekly appearance the Mike Wise show on 106.7. Here's a quick, on-the-fly running transcript (Redskins Insider has the full post):

Chief topic: the untouched slide and fall in the loss in St. Louis and his wrist injury, about which he referred Wise to Mike Shanahan:

"I did fall on purpose. ...All week long we were coached to sacrifice yardage for the ball. ... I wasn't going to risk somebody grabbing my arm, snatching my arm."

"All week long, I've been carrying the ball with two hands in practice. Sunday in the game, was the first time I carried with one hand."

As for his reduced role in the second half Sunday: "There's a lot about life you don't understand. Welcome to my world."

Portis said he wasn't bothered by training camp competition from Larry Johnson, Willie Parker and others, says he faced competition at the University of Miami and, when asked about being soft, said: "People can believe what they want to believe. ... My film will tell you enough."

Portis says that it's not the same old same old with the Redskins this year, citing improved attitude and camaraderie.

Holden Kushner asked Portis if he roots for Michael Vick (Dan Steinberg has more from Donovan McNabb and Portis here): "I always root for Michael Vick....even when we play him. It's the excitement level he gonna bring to the game. ... after everyone threw him under the bus and wanted to take everything from him and crucify...I don't think his play ever changed. He got into an unfortunate situation off the field. You see now why he was regarded as the football player he was regarded as."

Portis said he can identify with how McNabb feels about returning to play in Philadelphia this week. He talked about how badly he wanted to win when he returned to Denver as a Redskins player.

Portis was asked about starting and his role Sunday: "I have no idea, bro. I don't even think it really matters. ... When it comes to competition, I feel I'll outplay anybody. I feel with what I've done the last nine years you can tell the difference whether I'm in or out."

Is Sunday's game a must-win? Yes, but not for the reasons you might think. "That's the only way you get two days off in this league and you really need two days off [to recover]".

He wrapped it up by saying of his role Sunday: "You know 26 is on your roster. Use me how you choose to."

By Cindy Boren  | September 28, 2010; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Hester isn't the guy the Packers should be kicking to
Next: Evan Longoria, David Price call out Tampa Bay Rays fans for poor attendance

Comments

For whatever reason, Clinton does not seem to get the praise and respect he deserves. He dragged the team to the playoffs under Gibbs and, when I watch on Sundays, always works hard.

I realize there is more to the story - his outspokenness and his taking advantage of the dysfunction of the organization in years past. At the end, that all seems like a footnote to me.

Posted by: rsmskc | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@RSMSKC,

that was very well put and I happen to agree with every word of it. Especially the part about beeing outspoken. I think that has a lot to do with it. Believe me, there are quotes I hear and I'm thinking "CP, just be quite" but at the end of the day, those things don't adgitate me as much as others. People don't admit there is a varying range of resentment for these athletes who not only make great money for playing sports but then we feel as though they are rubbing it in if they speak out or just display their actual personality.

re: the fall down, it was apparent he fell down on purpose. Not only to protect the ball, but himself as well. I'm not making an excuse for this or saying thats okay or not but I am not bent out of shape about it. When it appears no more yardage will be gained a lot of players do that.

Over the years, the way the Skins don't draft and develop their roster that this has saved the teams behinds more than anyone will admit. What would Sundays have been like if CP was done for the year a few times?

Posted by: gmac78 | September 28, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is garbage. Stephen Davis was more of a game breaker then him. Portis = the Larry Johnson overrated stat player. He gets all the carries and of course he will get yards. He makes no difference in winning the games.

Posted by: redskinsalwaysstink | September 28, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Any fan complaining about Portis sliding on that 27 yard play is an idiot. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Clinton going down actually makes plenty of sense. He had maybe 5 Rams surrounding him. There's a good chance they may have stood him up ala Adrian Peterson and strip the ball. He probaly could have gotten another 5 yards but that was it. He already had the first down.

Posted by: richs91 | September 28, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

They wanted to see him take another open field killshot so that we could pin the hopes of our running game on Keiland Williams and Ryan Torain. Anybody got a beef with clinton take it up with shanny. You bring in 3 former pro bowl backs to camp and you end up with guy just elevated from the practice squad toting the rock after your workhorse gets it done in the first half to the tune of 8 yds per carry . Unbelievable. Shanny's gotten the benefit of the doubt all summer long with regards to the backs(Parker,Johnson,Torain,Williams,Portis),receivers(Galloway,williams,Armstrong,Thomas),and Haynesworth, but eventually something on the field has to happen for him to justify some of his decisions.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 28, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richs91 | September 28, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

it makes perfect sense IMHO. We saw how pivotal a stripped ball can be in a close game ( shout out to Tashard Choice ). Sacrifice the yardage for the ball. I think we just lost a fumble and were really digging ourselves out of a hole. It's good to know that Clinton has his head in the game and is cogniscent of the situation, unlike some of our defensive players who continue to leave receivers alone in the end zone.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 28, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Never heard of a player trying to fall down when they are in full stride to avoid the hit or fumbling. Who thinks they are going to fumble??? I think he got lost in space not remembering how it felt to break a run for like three years and freaked.... I have read where others have said he was fine when blocking guys. Not sure what to think but hitting guys is alot easier then being hit so that part is irrelevant for arguments sake....Maybe they are trying to not run an older back into the ground early in the season as for lack of runs. That shanny does look at the big picture! maybe he needs to have a talk with junior that when you finally get the lead and have had success running the ball in first half, you run it until thay prove they can stop it. Sally calls them soft and old, yet p.daniels was the best player on the field on defense. In my mind ,that is how you become a tough line by running the ball down their throat and not having to pass block every friggin down... Now D. Hall, thats one soft punk if you ask me..... all mouth and no muscle. Heyer needs to be cut, anyone trying to play in this league has to be better then him. Shanny jr., you better find a way to run the ball or McNabb won't make it thru half the season. he's doing all he can and has looked good but if they do not respect your run game, he will get killed eventually...Hang in there everyone, We have gone to philly and won before and G.B didn't look unbeatable last night...Hail!

Posted by: klangley69 | September 28, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Anybody that doesn't realize Clinton sacrificed much more than 5 yards by sliding on that play is an idiot.

Dude can chuck out all the reasoning he wants, but he's wrong in the end. CP cut into the open field, slowed up, looked around, then covered the ball with 2 hands and slid. Every other running back in the league would have and should have accelerated into that space. I don't care that he sacrificed 5 yards to save himself from being hit. I care that he sacrificed 50 yards because he was tentative and indecisive in the open field.

And apparently Shanahan felt the same way. As he should.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

You fans that believe that it is ok to slide to the ground without being touched are crazy and never haved played one down of football in there life. I can't believe I even heard this for Portis. Its just excuse and this team was alot of them. I want a runner who will kill for extra yardage. Players play hurt all the time. Portis has played with bump knees and shoulders and a little hurt hand caused him to fall down. Get real. Something is wrong with this picture. This is another reason why this team is aweful. Portis quit on the play before being tackeled and that will get you beat every week. Rams win. Never heard any running back say they went down for the reason Portis did ever in my 47 years of watching NFL football. This team will struggle if their star running back slides because of a hurt hand. They must be laughing there butts off in philly this week after hearing this one.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | September 28, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

the fact remains that Portis is still the only back on the team that can run, block and catch.

that's the fault of the team not Clinton.

Is Portis the same back as he was in 2004 and 2005? No.

But is Phillip Daniels or Maake Kemoeatu the same players THEY were 5 years ago?

No, and yet they continue to start and the defense has looked horrendous.

But there is little direct criticism heading toward any individual player on defense other than Haynesworth, and that is for reasons other than what has happened the past 3 weeks.

The Redskins scoring 16 points against the Rams is unacceptable. Forget the defense for a minute.

Washington's offense help shoot the team in the foot with a fumble that cost 7 points.

So, minus that you have a 23-16 score.

If the Redskins offense had been any good at all on third down or in the red zone the team should have been able to come up with an extra 10-14 points to pull this out.

Look, the defense still is a mess and perhaps the coach needs to look at going back to a 4-3 base package.

But the Texans and Rams games could have been won even with the shoddy play on D in the fourth quarter of those contests.

This team even with all the blemishes could still be 3-0 instead of 1-2.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | September 28, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Last night, I watched some dude on Green Bay (Kuhn?) take a pile of about a dozen people forward for ten yards. I have never seen, nor even heard of, a running back sliding to the ground to avoid contact before Sunday (aside from the last play of the game). I challenge anyone to find another single example of that, anywhere in the league's entire history.

Posted by: wbbradb | September 28, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Criticize if you must people, but Portis explained very clearly why he slid. If he's lying, Shanahan will jump all over him. Walk a mile in CP's shoes before you generalize everything he does. Without CP the last few years, I wonder how many points this team would have scored and how many more games would have been lost. Everyone shares blame in losses, but give the guy a break. He always plays hard win or lose.

Posted by: jdumb | September 28, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

One decision in a lifetime of decisions. I say that Portis ranks as one of the toughest men in football. I hear people speak of him taking practices off, I remember the great John Riggins taking time off and spending them in whirlpools or hospitals to get ready for the next game, so did Larry Brown. High use backs need recovery time. We have read and written about Portis being the best blocking tailback in football. You dont get that reputation by being soft. Just the opposite you acquire it by being hard as nails. He had a long run which probably tired him a bit. Eight yards per run, we'll take it any day. I dont care if all eleven Rams were running at him Clinton will take the ball to them unless; 1) he feels the danger of losing the ball is greater than the gain of yardage on the play 2) he feels he does not have firm control of the ball 3) there is nothing to be gained by running any further. The decision comes in the wink of an eye. When judging any action you have to take the whole of how a player plays. 99.9% of Portis actions would be to run hard for daylight. If he did not in this instance the conclusion should be he did not think there was a good chance that a positive result would occur. A long run, and eight yards per carry and we try to crucify him and judge him negatively. Man we are searching for straws.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | September 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I can wait till week 16 when all you CP supporters look back on the really lousy season he had and a pitiful 6-10 (hopefully) Skins team. There’s nothing wrong with getting old, getting slow and losing your edge. It happens – in life and in football. But for you to continually make excuses for him is dead wrong. I’m not a country music fan but there’s a line in a song that says, something like, “I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.” That’s CP to a tee. He’s still got a few great blocks in him and a few great long runs. But he’s just not that good and will never get any better. We needed a new back two years ago. But we didn’t make the hard decision because of all the turmoil. CP needed to be cut/traded this year too – but it’s a terrible PR/morale move for a new coach/front office. It’s one of those, “it’s the right decision, but not the best one.” CP’s situation is not unlike JC’s. He was bad, never getting better and needed to go years before they finally sent him packing. Once they did, we began building a better, more motivated offense. The passing game could be tweaked, but it’s got punch and will only get better. The running game needs the same. New legs, new mindset. Someone that will fight for every yard. I agree with some earlier posters -- who thinks they might fumble? Who? LOSERS!

Posted by: ECUPirate68 | September 28, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Ask Chrissy Miller if he still hears footsteps.

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | September 28, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@wbbradb, If there were a dozen or so people around him, shouldn't there have been a flag? Last time I checked each team can have only 11 on the field.

Posted by: lutherd93 | September 28, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, that's Chrissy Everett. See what you did to me.

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | September 28, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If Portis was told by a coach to do that then the coach should be fired. If Portis did it on his own then Portis should be benched. Pro running backs should know how to protect the ball in traffic. You learn how to do that in Pop Warner.

Posted by: Aerowaz | September 28, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Nobody could produce behind this lousy line, may as well leave CP in there since we're going to have to throw it 50x a game and he's an outstanding blocker.

CP always gets a bad rap, dude plays hard as hell pretty much all the time. Moss fumbled in that very game, and Cooley fumbles more than any TE in the league...don't really mind CP protecting the ball even if he was moreso protecting himself

Posted by: divi3 | September 28, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richs91 | September 28, 2010 12:28 PM

Are you F'n stupid? There is a good chance they may have stood him up... and strip the ball? With that logic, don't even bother snapping the ball - the center/qb could fumble snap, the qb could fumble ball during sack attempt, the qb could toss an Int., the receiver could fumble, etc., etc., etc. How about all the defenders colliding, thereby taking each other out of the play, and Portis trotting into the endzone. Football is not a game without risk, and definitely not a game to be played when there is doubt in one's mind. With your logic every player should simpy take a knee once they touch the ball to ensure no fumble occurs. Portis QUIT on the play, plain and simple!

Posted by: dmr0834 | September 28, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I would love to live in his "world"...$7M this year to take a dive...welcome to our world...considerably less than $7M and a 1-2 football team. Hail!

Posted by: MPNangle | September 28, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

totally wimpy

Posted by: jhansel6 | September 28, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Portis taking a dive to avoid contact?? You people are idiots. He LOVES contact, just look at the way he blocks. He's one of the best blocking backs in the league because he'll take on a linebacker. Most backs will sidestep that....
There's something strange about this Skin team. Shanny might be overrated ( he did have Elway...) and little Shanny might not be so good. His red zone calls are almost comical......I can't believe it, but we're going to stink again. With a 34 yr old qb now.....

Posted by: Riggo2 | September 28, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

portis is a beast. he has to think to know his limits and what his body can do now. learn from ricky williams dude, seriously, dude is older than portis and STILL puttin on the hurt. portis is the best run blocker i've ever seen, and i own his jersey. my favorite color is also orange.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 28, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

This guy is nothing but a talented, talented, football player. But I do believe he needs to learn keep his mouth shut.

Posted by: ElYeah | September 29, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse