Dez Bryant picks up $54,896 dinner tab as Dallas Cowboys get revenge

Have another doughnut

Updated at 1:54 p.m.

Perhaps Dez Bryant is rethinking the whole rookie hazing thing.

Sure, it's juvenile and silly and, perhaps, it says something terrible about our culture. But you knew that refusing to carry shoulder pads during Dallas Cowboys training camp would come back to bite him. On Monday night, it did -- to the tune of a $54,896 dinner bill at a Dallas steakhouse.

"They got the young fella," said David Wells, the rookie wideout's adviser. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Former coach Herman Edwards scolded the team for letting news of the team dinner leak out. "You don't need the attention," Edwards said. "In our economy, we don't need to be talking about guys going to dinner paying $55,000."

Bryant seemed pretty happy, at least before the bill arrived Monday night, tweeting: "I'm here eating drinking with my dogs I go to war with every Sunday doing it big at pappas steakhouse!!!!"

The tab came to over $1,000 per player...and at least one teammate got breakfast out of the deal, too. Wide Jesse Holley tweeted: "Woke up this morning and scramble me some cheese eggs to go w/ my left over 20oz Kobe steak from last night. Mmmmmmm!"

menu.jpg

Turns out that ordering everything on the menu and wine list can add up, not that Bryant minded.

"There were some things I did at Oklahoma State, like I bought the whole wideout crew dog tags and they had their name, their number and freak time on it," Bryant said. "I felt like that brought us together. I just want to do my little part here.''

Michael Vick statoid of the day

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders comes up with this about Michael Vick: He has thrown a touchdown pass every 14.8 attempts and only eight quarterbacks (from 2000-09) had a better rate over 300 attempts. (Those QBs would be Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Daunte Culpepper [twice], Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tony Romo.)

McNabb says he won't change his mind about D.C.

Donovan McNabb isn't having any of this "one-and-done" talk in D.C. no matter what the Redskins' record this year. He told David Aldridge on "The Donovan McNabb Show" on TBD TV that he wants to finish his career here.

As for whether his relationship with Vick, whom he helped bring to Philly and whom he's mentoring: "Friends stick their neck out for friends," McNabb told Aldridge. "I've always told him that I had his back just like he'd have my back."

Daniels' son commits to Notre Dame

DaVaris Daniels, the top-ranked high school player in Illinois and the son of Washington Redskins defensive lineman Phillip Daniels, will play for Notre Dame next year.

A versatile 6-2, 170-pound player for Vernon Hills (Ill.) High School, DaVaris Daniels reportedly was choosing between Notre Dame and Miami. Vernon Hills has outscored opponents 240-0, according to ESPN, and Daniels has: completed 4 of 6 passes for 71 yards and a touchdown; caught 10 passes for 277 yards and four touchdowns; rushed for 203 yards and five touchdowns, returned a punt for a touchdown; intercepted three passes and scored one defensive touchdown.

Proud to announce that my son DaVaris has committed to Notre Dame. Congrats to him on his decision. ND got one hell of an athlete.less than a minute ago via Facebook

By Cindy Boren  | September 29, 2010; 8:15 AM ET
Categories:  Have another doughnut
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vuvuzelas welcome at Commonwealth Games
Next: Donovan McNabb hopes to hear cheers Sunday in Philadelphia

Comments

Posted by: cadam72 | September 29, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

He bought dogtags for some teammates when he was in college? And now he goes to war every Sunday? Really? Man, he sounds brave.

This guy is a major league jerk.

Posted by: MrCleaveland | September 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

He goes to war with every Sunday??? How about our troops who go to war everyday eating rations??? 55K could sure buy a lot of food for families and food shelters. UNBELIEVABLE waste of money.

Posted by: akidcobra1 | September 29, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

How many NON-millionaire, already borderline-obese, high-blood-pressure football players would $55k feed, one wonders?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | September 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"I'm here eating drinking with my dogs I go to war with every Sunday"

Dogs? War? Really?? What a warped sense of reality and his place in it.

He's an immature and overpaid athlete who has the luxury of playing football for a living. He needs to learn and show some respect for the people in this country who actually contribute something valuable to society.

Posted by: cpwdc | September 29, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Disgusting.

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | September 29, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is worse: A bunch of self-indulgent pigs who could eath $1,000 worth of food in one sitting or a DC clip-joint restaurant that would charge someone $1,000 for dinner.

Posted by: SoCal | September 29, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

SoCal, *I* don't know which is worse: That every single comment you post is dripping with vitriol and hatred, no matter the topic, or that you obviously lack even elementary reading comprehension skills: It was a DALLAS restaurant.

Posted by: 7900rmc | September 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of self-indulgent hogs. Instead of feeding their fat faces, they should have donated the money to a food bank to help feed people who really need something to eat. Some people have more money than brains.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | September 29, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

This story is not very good press for the NFL. I do yard work on Sundays and read on Monday evenings. I'll watch several college games on Saturday though. Same with basketball. Once money is involved, the quality of the play decreases. The general public is beginning to get priced right out of this type of faux entertainment.

Posted by: MikeV2 | September 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

And aren't the Plowboys 1-2? Go to war and lose several battles! How nice!

Posted by: MikeV2 | September 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee you that Bryant would have to wash dishes for more than a month to get that $54,896.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | September 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"A $55,000 dinner bill. It continues to amaze me that scientists, philanthropists and non-profits struggle with $ and Americ pays these fools obscene ammounts of cash."

I agree that this is crazy, but withthe country in the shape it's in with all of the homeless, jobless, ect. I think that money could go to better use then a bunch of overpaid bums bragging about all of the steak they just ate.

It's nothing to be proud of, they should just keep that stuff to themselves.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 29, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Colossal waste of money lining the pockets of the restaurant owner and not much of anyone else.

Who said the rich are suffering in this economy?

Posted by: dc1120008 | September 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

We sure better not raise those marginal tax rates on folks earning over $250,000.

This, apparently, is the kind of economic stimulus Republicans like.

Posted by: Meridian1 | September 29, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me, but 7900rmc corrected me on the location of Pappas. It is actually a Dallas clip-joint. He also objected to any criticism over the amount of money spent. Apparently five figures on food and booze is a reasonable expenditure.
I hope they included a tip.

Posted by: SoCal | September 29, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

If this doesn't put the country off Pro Football nothing will. The entire NFL is now officially an obscenity. Time to tune them out. Literally.

Posted by: jrw1 | September 29, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the menu is included and it's a bit pricey, but let's face it: this was not a $1,000/player dinner. This was more likely a $100 dinner and $900 bar tab per player bill.

Posted by: pepperjade | September 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Dez had it coming...lil whiny bytchboy shoulda carried the pads, bought the donuts and sang his fight song and took his goalpost taping like a rook should...LMAO

The vets see that he's got his azzz on his shoulders so they humbled him...ahahahahaha

Posted by: kahlua87 | September 29, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"Woke up this morning and scramble me some cheese eggs?"

Good god.

Another reason to hate the Dallas Cowboys.

Posted by: donquixote3 | September 29, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

How'd the Cowboys get this one player to pick up the tab?

I'd say "dine and dash" but the Cowboys aren't that fast.

Posted by: rogied25 | September 29, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Get over your jealousy. Athletes drawing multimillion salaries is nothing new and not unique to the U.S. It's universal.

Posted by: Nightstalker1 | September 29, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Looking at all of these comments makes me laugh....where do you think this money comes from? It's not magical....it comes from the Fans, endorsements (advertisers) and the people who buy the stuff that's advertised. If people didn't pay for this entertainment, than there would be no money to spend. You watch the game every Sunday and Monday..don't you? People pay for your attention...everytime you watch the game somebody makes money. So frame your anger in the right place....don't hate the player, hate the game.....If you don't like the amount of money these players are paid or how they spend it (their choice), stop watching the game; do some volunteer work or something useful instead. Yeah.... right

Posted by: Pstacy | September 30, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse