Keith Bulluck says of Albert Haynesworth: 'I either play him or I trade him'

When it comes to the dispute between Albert Haynesworth and Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan, one former teammate is on Haynesworth's side.

Keith Bulluck, the New York Giants linebacker who formerly played with Haynesworth in Tennessee, told Newsday's Bob Glauber how he'd handle the situation if he were Shanahan:

"If I'm Mike Shanahan, I either play him or I trade him," Bulluck said. "I got my point across as far as not playing him in the preseason, but now it's the regular season. It's time to get things going. You either either play him or you trade him, because if you're not going to play him, what's the point of having him there being a distraction? It benefits his team more now at this point to play him, but I'm not a coach."

Bulluck has kept in contact with Haynesworth and thinks it's time for the drama to end.

"The whole camp thing was cool, but to me it's a little BS," he said. "He had to make his conditioning test, and he finally made it. As a coach you want to show, 'This is my team,' but after a while with a player like Albert, you're going to play him or not. I just think the whole thing is stupid. I know he's a great player. He's a great teammate. Regardless of the decisions he made this offseason, the offseason's over. You know he wants to play football."

When asked if he would like to see Haynesworth traded, Bulluck told Glauber, "I just want him to be happy. At the end of the day, I played with the guy for 6-7 years. I just want him to be able to go out there and play football the way he can and be the dominating player that I know he is."

Bulluck said Haynesworth is trying to deal with the situation as best he can. "He's just going through it, and he stays upbeat as much as possible," Bulluck said. "At the end of the day, there are bigger things in life than this. He's definitely working to do what he needs to do to help his team and be a contributor."

By Cindy Boren  |  September 15, 2010; 3:39 PM ET
Categories:  Albert Haynesworth , NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ines Sainz incident prompts NFL to send conduct memo to teams
Next: Derek Jeter admits he was acting in Yankees' loss to Rays

Comments

Didn't look like that when Andre Gurode was shoving him to the side, or slappin him in the face cause he was trying to be a 4-3 DT in a 3-4 NT role.

He can help the team by assuming the role he is assigned.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 15, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought the whole scheme of the 3-4 is for D-linemen to occuply blockers so that the linebackers can make plays.... What I saw with Big Al was that we was still trying to make plays on his own by shooting the gaps to try to get to the QB. The O-line just pushed him to one side or the other and created huge wholes for the RB to go through. I do not think the 3-4 was designed that way.

Big Al is a force, but he really needs to embrace the scheme and do his part. He cannot always pursue the QB for a sack. He needs to occupy the blockers so that Fletch and his boys can make the tackles.

Big Al... we need you this year. Play your part and earn your respect back.

Lastly, I agree with Bulluck.... preseason and training camp is over. It's game time and Big Al needs to play, otherwise trade him. The skins' have more important things to do this year than to worry about 1 player being a distraction.

Posted by: sd-bones | September 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"He's definitely working to do what he needs to do to help his team and be a contributor."
-- is this the case, or is he not practicing and learning the packages?

Posted by: belly_kilmer | September 15, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's face it, big Al hasn't played a whole season in a long time. What's the hurry? If the Redskins play the way it looks like they might this season, let's have him ready to go November and December. Same thing with in game...the guy is only good for about half the plays...why start him? Sub him in after half time - he's so out of shape he can't do a whole season or game, so just play him in the 2nd half of games the 2nd half of the season.

Posted by: sam2 | September 15, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

He just wants to see him happy. Is he in love with him or what? lol

Posted by: jmy999 | September 15, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

i agree. let the dude play. Put him at end. it did not seem like the front 3 were dominant. dallas ran the ball at will, except for jason Garratt's poor play calling.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Bulluck, he's already been paid so get the maximun return for your dollar and move on. The mind games have maxed out, No more quacking about the past, play him, trade him or release him.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | September 16, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Uh....Haynesworth was on the field Sunday night last time I checked...unless that game was a tape and the person an identity thief....LOOK, just because the man did not start did not mean he would not play....if the coaching staff did not want Albert here, they would have DEACTIVATED him....As for Keith Bulluck, I know Albert is your friend, but you are a member of the New York Football Giants, not the Washington Redskins...SHUT YOUR MOUTH about our team and tend to the business of your teammates and Head Coach Tom Coughlin in New York.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | September 16, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree he is a dominant player, WHEN HE PUTS FORTH THE EFFORT. But, standing on the sidelines like a child put in timeout doesn't seem to me he's trying to be a team player. I also agree with play him or trade him, but, at a good value. Everyone says he's great player. Aren't great players worth more than a 3rd or 4th rnd draft pick? To me, this shows his domination on the field doesn't outweigh the drama in the locker room. If he wants to be traded he should make himself look more valuable not more of a headache.

Posted by: NC1974 | September 16, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

ejharrisjr40
LOL Spoken like a true Redskin fan. Thanks for also speaking for me.

Posted by: NC1974 | September 16, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse