Tiger Woods named to Ryder Cup team

Tiger Woods has been selected to the Ryder Cup team by Corey Pavin, captain of the United States team.

Woods, Stewart Cink, Zach Johnson and Rickie Fowler are the four captain's picks, Pavin announced at a press conference this morning. The U.S. plays a European team in three weeks.

"Captain Corey, it's great to be part of this team," Woods told Pavin via conference call at the televised press conference. "I'm honored to be selected and to head to Wales to be part of the Ryder Cup team. I've been to Wales before with the Walker Cup and I'm looking forward to being part of this team and to bringing the cup back."

They'll join the eight players automatically on the team: Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk (get a better alarm clock!), Steve Stricker, Dustin Johnson, Jeff Overton and Matt Kuchar.

"There was a lot of thought put in to it," Pavin said. "I talked with all eight members of the team and got their opinions. I simply made a choice."

In six Ryder Cup appearances, Woods is 10-13-2.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 7, 2010; 10:27 AM ET
Categories:  Tiger Woods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Reggie Bush will be stripped of Heisman Trophy
Next: Tom Brady, Patriots close to contract extension?

Comments

I'm so surprised - NOT.

Posted by: rlj1 | September 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Tiger, we already have the cup, no need to bring it back! thanks for being so focused!!

Posted by: fogman | September 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Tiger doesn't deserve to be on the team, Charley Hoffman does. And as for Rickie Fowler, at least the team has a uniform and he won't be able to pick his own clothes.

Posted by: John0123 | September 7, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Gee, what a shock. The Golf Channel really had to sic their chihuahua attack dog Jim Gray to break to earth shattering and historically significant story.

Posted by: playahatah | September 7, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

foggy and john need a brain transplant. Those are 2 of the dumbest comments I've ever read. Chalk it up to ignorance.

Posted by: shanks1 | September 7, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I would not have picked Woods for several reasons, the first being that he is on a downhill slide, coupled with the fact that a lot of players have lost all respect for him as evidenced by the comments made during his debacle over the past year. But, politics won out and we can only hope that Team US comes through.

Posted by: adjjones | September 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Tiger was gonna get picked one way or another because he's the only player -- despite all his follies and foibles -- who can bring in the TV audience for golf. And ultimately that's what it's all about.

Posted by: haveaheart | September 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Shanks, here's another one to make your head explode: Tiger is still chasing Walter Hagen's 16 majors, let alone Jack's 18. Hagen won five very prestigious Western Opens long before the Masters was established.

Posted by: John0123 | September 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

John, I see you're a bit of an anarchist. Though your claim will never be recognized, it is nice to see you have a sense of history. Conversely, you COULD also look at Tiger Woods' dominance of the current WGCs and regard them every bit as prestigious as those old Westerns. The field for these relatively new tournaments is as strong as for the 4 recognized Major Championships.

Posted by: shanks1 | September 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, I am sorry -- I know my sense of morality is old-fashioned. But for this man, who didn't just 'cheat' on his wife and partner, but slept with dozens of women from coast to coast, exposing his wife to untold STDs, I think there should be consequences. Hence I applaud each of his recent 'failures' -- that is to rule the game in which he was for so long the undeniable Emperor. In fact to not even win a tournament, or place higher than 4th. I hope he embarrasses himself at the Ryder.

Harsh? Ugly? I think of Elin Nordegren's shock and pain and humiliation at this mass betrayal, the utter hypocrisy and abandonment of integrity. The money is irrelevant -- he paid so much to avoid having to answer questions in cross-examination, Can you imagine? "Tell us, Mr. Woods, of the night you told your wife you were on an endorsement trip, while actually you were in a hotel with....."

At one time I cheered for this man, perhaps the most dominant figure in any sport, any time. Now I silently enjoy the drives that find rocky banks ... the iron shots that slap into sand ... the putts that just miss.

"Miss it!" I whisper. "Miss it for Elin!"

Posted by: JPMcC | September 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

JP, get over it.

Posted by: dvc100 | September 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Shanks, thank you for raising that quality-of-the-field issue. That means Tiger will have to win about 25 majors to equal Jack. Jack had to deal with at least a dozen people who had won their own majors, some multiple times. Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Tom Watson, Lee Travino, Raymond Floyd, Billy Casper, Hale Irwin, Julius Boros, Larry Nelson, Ben Crenshaw, and Seve Ballesteros are just some of them. Tiger's fields have been far weaker.

Posted by: John0123 | September 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

dvc100

No. Not until this ethically empty vessel l is either out of golf, or playing so poorly their is no chance of his surpassing Jack Nicklaus' records of 18 Majors ... I even hope he doesn't catch Sam Snead's 83 tour victories.

Then I'll get over it.

Posted by: JPMcC | September 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Tiger deserves to be on the team. The only question was his game, and he is coming into form, especially observed during the DB event. Tiger has paid for his indiscretions and although he lost his marriage, I'm sure he'll be a better person. Funny thing, we can damn him for the stuff we know, but must overlook others who were NOT as popular or well-know who may have done similar. The same reason businessmen want him on the RC is the same reasons tabloids used him and his failures to sell subscriptions and meet margins during a slow news cycle. Let's keep the golf at the game, others have issues in their lives, as well. I don't want to know their story and want Tiger to reclaim his life. We all have some secrets we would never dare reveal - hopefuly they stay secret. Now some girl is putting out the same type of information on a soccer star; a trend has begun here. In the past years, media did cover up some negative press to protect start - no more, its all about making a buck at somebody else's expense. I hope we do bring the cup BACK home!

Posted by: HarrietA | September 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Tiger is still the best in the world and that no Ryder cup team is complete without him.

Posted by: jerrypaulmorgan | September 7, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Tiger was selected for the Ryder. I've noticed No. 2, 3, 4, 5 have masterfully managed not to move into the No. 1 spot. They enjoy the game, endorsements and free access to lifes pleasures leaving the presure for No. 1.

Posted by: McAlliOpin | September 8, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse