Reports: Reggie Bush suffers broken bone in leg

Running back Reggie Bush broke a bone in his lower leg in the fourth quarter of the New Orleans Saints' victory Monday night in San Francisco, according to multiple reports.

Bush, who only a week ago returned the 2005 Heisman to the Heisman Trophy Trust and said he was ready to move on with his career, broke his fibula. He'll have more tests today in New Orleans. (See video here; it's about a 4 on the Theismann 1-10 scale.)

"It's been a pretty tough week," Bush said. "It's just the way life goes."

The injury, which occurred as Bush recovered a punt he'd muffed in windy Candlestick Park, is not believed to be season-ending. Bush, according to a NewOrleans.com report, is expected to be out a minmum of six weeks.

"I'm just trying not to think the worst and just try to stay as positive as I can in this situation," Bush said. "That's all you can do, hope for the best."

Bush was hurt with 6:58 left in the game New Orleans won, 25-22.

"Last second it kind of shifted a little bit, just enough for me to drop it," he said. "I tried to recover it and somebody took my leg out. I don't know who it was, what happened or how it happened. I just know my leg got taken out. That's it."

By Cindy Boren  | September 21, 2010; 5:23 AM ET
Categories:  NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Darrelle Revis may miss week or two with a strained hamstring
Next: Denver Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley dies in apparent suicide

Comments

Karma!

It's funny how all of the NFL sportswriter's have been kissing Reggie's behind, as if he were the victim? "Reggie returns Heisman", what a classey guy? [as if he had a choice?]

They fall all over each other, saying how nice he is, or because he was a major financial draw for USC he should have been entitled?

I beleive Bush is just another gifted athelite who played the system for $$$$. His PR people have him playing the press like a violin.

Those who say, you can't erase the memory of victory on the feild have no moral scuples. At least his college acomplishment's will be erased from the record books.

USC is a dirty program by anyone's standard. I love how none of the coaches or administration had no idea any of this was going on? A house for his family and cash? What about the big screen tv in OJ Mayo's dorm room? I guess we must be idiot's?

If kids don't value a degree as the reward for playing college ball they should not be in school. The NFL should have a developmental pool of players who can be drafted out of high school that need a little maturation.

Personaly, I don't care if Bush ever steps onto the feild again. He represent's everthing that is wrong in college sports by justifying corruption, and getting rewarded for it!

To this day Reggie has not explained anything or given a real apology. That tell's everyone his true character or lack of it?

Posted by: sbf845 | September 21, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

You yourself are a classy guy SBF845, kick a guy while he's down. Karma is right, I'm sure treating folks with comments like that will serve you well. Get well soon Reggie Bush!

MV

Posted by: mvtrucking | September 21, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

mvtrucking

Poor poor Reggie! You are right mvtrucking! I am a bad person for telling the TRUTH!

All poor little reggie did was teach kids how to cheat and still be a hero? Bush may be a nice guy, he wanted to take care of his family, but he did cheat, he's not sorry, and it's soooooooooooo saaaaaaaaaaad, boo whoooo, that he broke his wittle leg?

By the way, I was kicking him before he was down. If he didn't wan't to be kicked he shouldn't have ruined a National Championship and accepted the Heisman!

Posted by: sbf845 | September 21, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Not a big Reggie Bush fan but I find the "sermon" by sbf845 to be a bit much. Does anyone really care about him returnin gthis award? That was a matter between a man and his conscience. Without walking in someone else's shoes it rather difficult to sit in the judgement seat. It's real easy to have 20/20 vision from the pulpit...however let's test the average 18-20 year old with money and other things they have never had and see how many pass the test. Do you just deal with what's right or what's real? That's what this country was made on backroom deals,(see Kennedy) and you want to string up the low man on the totem pole the player....CHILD PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: swimmer11 | September 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

sbf845 -

Let’s begin by noting that you seem to think the apostrophe is how you make a noun plural. No. An apostrophe indicates possession of something.

So it is downright funny when you write "I guess we must be idiot's". It should have been "idiots".

Not to mention sportswriter's, acomplishment's (that should have another “c” by the way), represent's, and tell’s.

Throw in the misplaced comma and numerous misspellings and this is the funniest post I've seen in a while.

Posted by: JeffRandom | September 21, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

JeffRandom;

Sorry my spellcheck doesn't work. You obviosly must be a 5th grade English teacher and I do apologize for my terrible spelling.

I also apologize to any other intellectual giants who I may have offended?

Posted by: sbf845 | September 21, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

swimmer11;

I know 18-20 year olds make mistakes. I made my share at that age and am far from perfect. My problem with Reggie is that he is supposed to "now" be a man.

He doesn't owe me an expaination but there are Southern Cal fan's who deserve it, along with a real apology. Not something he reads from his handlers.

Reggie seems like a good guy but he screwd his school. I wonder how much love the players at SC will have for Reggie when they watch the Rose Bowl on tv?

Posted by: sbf845 | September 21, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

USC fans screwed by Reggie Bush? Please! These are fans of USC - ie. the dirtiest program in the NCAA - please don't act as if Reggie Bush is the criminal - try Pete Carroll. Is a Latin abbreviation too much for you - sbf45?.

Please don't use the excuse that your spellchecker doesn't work when you don't know basic punctuation (those are apostrophes and such).

Posted by: bflorhodes | September 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

No one "took his leg out". He makes it sound as if it was a dirty or intentional incident. Someone fell on his leg.

Posted by: overhead | September 21, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

sbf845

You may be right in some of your points but your personal hatred and wishing the worse for a guy just because he benifited from being a star athlete is kind of classless on your part and shows a jealous side of you towards successful athletes. A lot of jock haters on these blogs. Probably people who had no athletic talent and are envious of those who do and benefit from it. How does Bush not stepping back on the field make your life any better? And if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the universities that make millions off of people like bush so people like you can have a nice facility to attend. Every think of how much money O.J Mayo and Bush have made for that university? The same one that you might enjoy? Think about that the next time you wish bad on college athletes who get perks.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 21, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

sbf845

AAAwwwww, did Reggie steal Kim Kardashian from you? Stop hating. He gave up the trophy. And yes, he makes millions of dollars for playing sports. Get over it. How many Oscar winning actresses may have dated the casting director to get their first break? They cheated right? Keep it in perspective with life my friend. The problem with us is we seem to want to hold athletes to a higher standard than we hold ourselves. If you got a tip from your broker that a stock was bad before it was publicly announced would you keep that stock or sell it? Cheater.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 21, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

It's at least six weeks with the cast. My son just got his cast off from a fibula fracture, then a month rehab. See you in December Reggie

Posted by: anti1 | September 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse