Brad Childress isn't happy with Brett Favre's choices (on the field)

The relationship between Brett Favre and Brad Childress has been characterized as chilly, with the two often at odds. It figures to grow chillier this week....as in International-Falls-in-early-February chilly.

Favre threw three interceptions in the second half (one was returned for a touchdown) as the Minnesota Vikings lost 28-24 to Green Bay in yet another episode of "Favre returns to the scene of his former glory."

Childress, after the loss: "It still goes back to taking care of the football. You can't throw it to them. They have to play within the confines of our system....you can't give seven points going the other way, not in a game like this."

He was asked if the picks were forced.

"Yeah, the one to [Desmond] Bishop [which was returned for a TD], I'd have to look at that cause I'd like to know where we're going with the football, cause I believe the play was designed to go to the other side and I think Percy's [Harvin] standing there in big air so not sure why we're looking at the left-hand side..."

Favre said he "can't disagree," but fired a subtle shot back at his coach's comment about his decision-making. "I would say so, too, after the fact."

"It was devastating...I take a lot of pride and ownership in all phases of the game. You've got the ball in your hand and you hope to win those. You just feel like you let everybody down. ... [Guys walking off the field were saying to him], 'We were always a part of watching you do that [lead a team down the field for a win at the end of the game] on the other side and we thought you were going to do that again.' It's a good feeling and a bad feeling."

Favre, who was limping badly, said he might have to voluntarily end his consecutive-starts streak.

"Who knows?" Favre said. "Really, who knows? I hope I do. It'll be tough to get over this loss, as it's tough to get over any loss. But I've got to find a way to do it. The reality is, if I can play but not be effective, then it's not worth playing. I hope I use good judgment. We'll see. I'm no spring chicken anymore. I don't heal as quickly."

That might make things easier for Childress, who admitted he considered taking Favre out after he tossed his third interception. "I was going to give him that next series and he took us and moved us down the field [for a touchdown]," Childress said.

NFL investigation: Favre admits to leaving voice mails for Jenn Sterger, but not to sending pictures

Deanna Favre: Relying on faith

Video: Favre's postgame press conference

Video: Childress' postgame press conference

By Cindy Boren  | October 25, 2010; 5:32 AM ET
Categories:  Brett Favre, NFL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Brett Favre admits leaving voicemails for Jenn Sterger
Next: Report: Allen Iverson will sign contract to play in Turkey

Comments

dont do nasty pictures brett,,,heres some hard drugs so you can play today.

Posted by: gonville1 | October 25, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Best thing Farve could do is stay in the locker room.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | October 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

It was the summer of 2009 when the devil had a meeting with Farve. The deal they made was that Farve as the oldest man in the NFL would have his greatest regular season ever and become a living legend, but with one stipulation. Farve, in order to save his sould would have to retire for ever after the 2009 season. The devil knew it was like taking candy from a baby.

Posted by: jrussell1 | October 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I am not a fan of Brett Favre, actually being a New York Jet fan I dislike him greatly. That being said it was wrong for him to come back this season not because of his age, but because he is obviously ailing. His ankle is re-injured and eventually this guy is going to have to call it quits before he does severe damage to his body. He is 41 and playing a game with guys who are young enough to be his sons.

That being said Brad Childress is 100 percent wrong for throwing his Quarterback under the bus. The team is not doing well and your going the take the guy you begged to come back and say you question his decision making and how he plays the game? If you think you are going to change the way a 41 year old Quarterback plays, your wrong. This should put the Vikings over the edge and they might have fallen to far to recover.

Posted by: aajacobs22 | October 25, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Favre hurt his team by throwing 3 interceptions, but the incompetence of Childress and the Minnesota coaching staff was also a factor.

Anyone could see that the GB receiver did not catch the pass which was ruled a touchdown in the first half, but MN failed to challenge.

Randy Moss was incredulous that MN just let the clock run out in the first half without trying again to score, and he was right.

Moreover, the play calling by MN was predictable and mediocre from beginning to end.

Posted by: honestjd | October 25, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"(I)f I can play but not be effective, then it's not worth playing."

Like he did with the Jets, right? Played with a (known) torn biceps, led 'em to a 1-4 finish -- what a team guy. Complete fraud.

Posted by: ChiGuy1 | October 25, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Dude,
Sterger looks like Barry Bonds, with hair; you have a stunning wife who stood by you; now you're going Tiger Woods?

Posted by: beedubs | October 25, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

.....so what can Childress expect when he sends a plow horse to the Kentucky Derby?????? The Packers rebuffed Favre in his first "unretirement" and have invested 3 seasons in their next legacy QB.....what do the Vikings have??????.....NADA!

Posted by: wp121606 | October 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The only question I have is, who is head coach Brett Favre or Brad Childress? Brad do you want some cheese with that Whine?

Posted by: savage24 | October 25, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse