Gilbert Arenas: "I screwed up again. I just want to say, 'Sorry' "

Gilbert Arenas has apologized for faking a knee injury Tuesday night and Wizards Coach Flip Saunders said that Arenas has been fined.

"I screwed up again," Arenas said, according to The Post's Michael Lee. "I just want to say, 'Sorry.' "

Saunders, in an appearance on ESPN 980, said that Arenas' comment that he faked an injury in order to give Nick Young more playing time was "unjustified" and added that Arenas faced no other discipline "except having to deal with me." The amount of the fine was not disclosed.

"I went through the game last night, and the first time I heard about his comments, someone texted me last night at about 12:30," Saunders said. "So that was more a surprise to me than anybody. My reaction was that was not what was told to me, that's why it was a situation that was handled very quickly, not only in front of Gilbert but in front of the whole team. Actions were taken, and then what you do at that point, we have to move on."

Arenas, speaking to the media after Wizards practice, admitted that he had made a mistake.

"I was trying to be a good teammate. Nick wanted to play," Arenas said (via Michael Lee). "I lied to coach and told him my knee was sore."

Arenas joked that he asked Young if he would pay his fine and Young declined, telling Lee: "He makes more money than me."

Arenas was asked if perhaps there have been an alternative to getting Young more playing time. "In hindsight now I would say yes. I wasn't thinking this would be another media outburst," he said (via Bullets Forever). "Everything that I do now is someone tit for tat trying to blow it out of proportion. Ya know at the end of the day Nick is happy. He got to play, got to show that he can play. And I'm out here taking all the heat again."

Asked if Arenas would play Thursday night, Saunders said, "We'll have to see how he feels."

By Cindy Boren  | October 13, 2010; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  Gilbert Arenas
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shawne Merriman place on Chargers' reserve-injured list
Next: Brett Favre: Could he just decide to end his Ironman streak?

Comments

Gilbert did what he had to do to get Young some time. Noble gesture, but silly handling. Other than that, we gon' be BEAST this year!

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 13, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is his own worst enemy. Why fake an injury, and then, after the game, gleefully announce that you faked the injury? What does that accomplish? Gilbert is woefully immature. He's probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

Posted by: sonny2 | October 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

please get rid of this clown

Posted by: slim4 | October 13, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

They guy can play. He's a head case, but he's becoming a good teammate and he can play. Let the coach deal with him.

Posted by: joe2chase | October 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

he's becoming a good teammate by lying to the coach? man there are some fools out there

Posted by: slim4 | October 13, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Everybodies a critic!

Please tell me why it matters that Gil wanted to get Nick some playing-time?

Arenas is THE best player on our team, so what if he acts like a rich guy; he is rich.

We should all just be glad that he is healthy.

Peace, John

Posted by: upscalechef | October 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Agent Weirdo.

Posted by: good1 | October 13, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Everybodies a critic!

Please tell me why it matters that Gil wanted to get Nick some playing-time?

We should all just be glad that he is healthy.

Peace, John

Posted by: upscalechef | October 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Faking injuries is for soccer.

Posted by: good1 | October 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Everybodies a critic!

Please tell me why it matters that Gil wanted to get Nick some playing-time?

We should all just be glad that he is healthy.

Peace, John

Posted by: upscalechef | October 13, 2010 2:10 PM

He's rich, so it's justified? Uhh...how about he's not the coach? Sticking up for another player is fine, but acting stupid, is... err, stupid.

Posted by: HokieSkin | October 13, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NBA = 1950's Professional Wrestling.

Posted by: tiger_caddy_31 | October 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

That is hilarious that he asked NY if he would pay the fine. Gotta love Gilbert.

Viva Agent Zero

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert you are a LLOOSSSEEEERRRR!!!!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | October 13, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The Arenas defenders are near scary. This is the second distraction (after the sullen - I'll be moving on comments on press day) and we're not even out of preseason yet. They HAVE to get rid of this guy. He's making a circus of this team.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 13, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This is why I don't watch the NBA.

Posted by: rademaar | October 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

To upscalechef: It matters because Arenas is NOT the head coach. Therefore HE doesn't decide on who plays, FLIP SAUNDERS decides on who plays. Apparently, Arenas doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Posted by: linroy62 | October 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Okay,

I give up; let's say we trade Gil, whom do you think is going to get us to the play-offs?

Blatch, the ROOKIE Wall?

As an NBA All-Star, Mr. Arenas is our only hope to see the play-offs this year. The dude is a little goofy, but he is real, he is a cool guy and everybody makes mistakes including every last one of you.

Now stop trying to get rid of our only hope.

Arenas is a spark of light, on the court he can catch fire and torch opponents for 60-80 points.

The man is combustable as well as explosive with a ball in his hands and some of ya'll are treating him like Michael Jackson trying to take your kids to Disney World or O.J. attempting to date your sister.

Enough already!

Are we going to keep treating "team members" negatively or give them the positive reinforcement that they need to succeed?

People are human, we have feelings that can be hurt. I don't want to call anybody in-sensitive jerks but this is getting ridiculous.

If you all knew anything about management, you would know that loose lips sinks ships. Negative stuff in the workplace only leads to contempt. And in closing; trying to get a brother fired is just mean.

I love all ya'll, Chef John

Posted by: upscalechef | October 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Wiz, get rid of this guy!! I was a fan of agent Zero but I have run out of excuses for him, he is a team cancer and we can do better without him. Somebody plead with Denver to trade Melo for this chemistry killer...Lets start a movement..Get rid of Arenas..and for goodness sake get him away from Wall..

Posted by: 19006 | October 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually he didn't screw up--he stays in a perpetual state of screw up. When things are NOT happening, it is unusual.

Posted by: Justlistening | October 13, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The NSA is serious, as is USMC, USA, USAF, USN, etc. The NBA is entertainment, especially during preseason. Lighten up, folks, it's just Gilbert being Gilbert. We ought to be used to that by now.

Posted by: justmike | October 13, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to say but ole Agent Zero is appearing more and more psycho and unstable by the day. This guy should be suspended by the team indefinitely. Oh and how did the ticket buyers last night like his ruse? He's really lost it.

You'd think after everything that has happened the guy would simply shut his trap and tow the line. He really doesn't get it.
Enough is enough.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | October 13, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to say...

I don't think Gilbert Arenas is just "immature."

I don't think his behavior is explained by settling on his "stupidity," either.

Seems like the guy has mental illness. Which would actually explain some of his past actions over the years. These things, if unresolved, ARE progressive... Meaning, they get worse as time goes on.

I hate to say it, but look for Arenas to do MORE crazy stuff in the near future, more often.

Either that, or he's doing a pretty good Joaquin Phoenix impersonation and he's going to come out with a movie about a deranged NBA star.

Unfortunately, my guess is, he's not acting. There's something wrong upstairs.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

We let Jamison go and kept this Arenas clown?!

Posted by: Rockman83 | October 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

We let Jamison go and kept this Arenas clown?!

Posted by: Rockman83 | October 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

So if Nick sits on the bench the whole first game, is the box score going to say DNP - Coaches Decision, of DNP - Gilbert's Decision?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | October 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I can't watch and follow the wizards with this clown in action. There are plenty of other talents out there. Can him and give someone else a uniform. This mentality that we have to keep him because he's good-- no matter what he does-- has led to a lot of disillusionment with sports.

Posted by: rlwhitt | October 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This self centered fool should not be in the NBA. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say that. Would you like to see my gun?

Posted by: edanddot | October 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

DNP - Coaches Decision, or
DNP - Gilbert's Decision?

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | October 13, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, Touche! This time Saunders is going to tell Gilbert how he feels. LOL

Posted by: bobilly2 | October 13, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is hurt and not feeling appreciated, look at his face, this player has done a lot for this franchise, has he made mistakes yes!!, he's paid for these mistakes, and he's got to live with I ruined my reputation, lost tons of money, and I'm no longer the face of the franchise, let Gilbert be Gilbert, he's a proven all star, and he's still one of the elite players in the NBA, hate him if you want, but remember we're not perfect, and we keep ourselves in check, because we can't write a check the size that Gilbert can, sounds like I hate his money, get over it, he's paid, and calling him these crazy names, doesn't say much about you, Gilbert give them all a ghetto salute, 2- middle fingers!!!

Posted by: pmiller2 | October 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he is a clown because he made a selfless gesture and didnt play in a preseason game. Anybody who has a problem with what he did is a clown. Its not a big deal, yet some of you are trying to turn this into something. When he starts missing games that count, you have an argument. Otherwise, take your jealousy elsewhere. If it wasnt for Arenas the Wiz would have never seen the playoffs, yet all of you seem to have forgotten that and think that Jamison was made the team a playoff participant. With all of the nonsense that athletes get into these days, Arenas antics are mild in comparison. He is definitely guilty of bad taste, but this incident was hardly as egregious as some are making it out to be.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow...a star player fakes an injury to get out of a meaningless pre season game/get a teammate into the game. This happens all the time. The only thing is players normally don't admit it. In anycase keep blowing it out of porportion Arenas haters.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | October 13, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6thsense79 | October 13, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I've had your back the whole way. I understand that your joke was a poor exercise in judgement. But, now you are being a FOOL. STOP being a FOOL. PLEASE, so many are trying to give you a second chance and a clean slate. PLEASE STOP.... OR GET OUT, and be someone else's fool.

Posted by: WestCoastBullet | October 13, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"I only lied because it was the easiest way to get what I wanted!"

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | October 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Arenas would make a good character on The Boondocks...

Posted by: ozpunk | October 13, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

No big deal at all...it's just because it's Gil that it's 'news'.

If Nick can score double digits and play some Defense, THAT would be 'news'.

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The thing about being honest is that it bites you in the a$$. Be like everyone else, lie, don't say nothing and you will look rigtheous.

Posted by: spades72 | October 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty simple really. When people are aiming for your head, you stay in your foxhole and keep your head down. Not to, is just stupid. And stupid doesn't win. Again, I got your back, but please start using your head.

Posted by: WestCoastBullet | October 13, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what goes on in his head, just do the scores for schools thing again gil and drop buckets for the kids

Posted by: bford1kb | October 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

GET RID OF THIS MAN!

Who do you know that loves to play the game of bball in front of an audience that fakes an injury so that someone else can play? UNBELIEVABLE!

Gilbert seems to have mental issues and the wizards and Wall would probably do better without him.

Posted by: keedrow | October 13, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I think this is hilarious, especially Gil asking Nick to pay the fine.

Gil is easily one of my favorite pro athletes of all time. The gun incident was incredibly stupid, no one disputes that.

But really, this is a preseason game folks. He lied to Flip to get his buddy some playing time. The only reason this is news is because he admitted the fake.

The only thing his admission of faking the injury shows is that he prefers controversy and the spotlight to whatever the fine amount was.

But didn't we all know that years ago?

Posted by: AhhYes | October 13, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

How many times is Gilbert's 10 cent head going to embarrass this organization?

Posted by: ArlingtonHokie | October 13, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

How many times is Gilbert's 10 cent head going to embarrass this organization?

Posted by: ArlingtonHokie | October 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I really feel for Gil the person. This young man needs a mentor and a therapist. He doesn't have any boundaries or foresight regarding the consequences of his "jokes." Until Gil begins to take on, with some help, that demon of abandonment, he's going to always engage in negative, attention-seeking behavior. How was court-ordered counseling not a part of his sentence?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 13, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of this poison, distraction and idiot!!! I was a huge fan and patient supporter, but these two preseason incidents (ready to move on and faked the injury) along with his psycho "sad guy" behavior show he must go asap! It will be sad, but necessary.

Posted by: travisloop | October 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

By lying, he's making a decision the coach should make; which means that he has a difficulty in distinguishing reality from his inner impulses. It's clear, by now, that Arenas has no control over this mental aberration, and needs to consult with a psychiatrist. I sense that he's a well meaning guy, who doesn't mean to cause harm. However, if his franchise really cares about him, they would see to it that he seeks therapy, instead of fining him; which does not address or cure his often repeated symptom!

Posted by: nishiki | October 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

There's something wrong with this guy, he may need a psychiatric evaluation.

Posted by: dand0202 | October 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

GET RID OF HIM!!! This guy is not well. He's all about himself, and enough with this former All-Star business. That was a different team, with a different chemistry. With this team, I'd take an 18 ppg scorer and 50 percent shooting, but more importantly, solid defense on the other team's two.....Now, can you count on that with Arenas? Really? This guy is RANDY MOSS!! The Patriots unloaded. I think the Wiz should, too. That is insubordination in my mind. He's going to do whatever it takes to get attention and take it from Wall, who obviously is the FACE of the franchise and will be for the next 10-15 years, hopefully.

Posted by: Bozeman1 | October 13, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Stupid is as Stupid does. Agent Me-Ro is up to his old tricks again. Boo on you
Ego-bert Ass-Renas!!!!

Posted by: jcflowers228 | October 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey... on the bright side, Gil's knees are OK... last night, it gave everyone a little stress thinking this was a sign of things to come. I wonder if he was concerned with fan reaction & nervous about it. I just don't know why Gil didn't go to Flip & ask to sit one out to get a teammate more playing time. It's preseason, we all know Gil is gonna be ready for the regular season. It's always got to be eccentric to the ridiculous.

Posted by: tony325 | October 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is not the best player on the team. He is the most over rated player on the team and the scariest thing about him is his shooting percentage! Yikes!!!

Posted by: Thompsonbm | October 13, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Why the Wizards are even hanging on to this UNDERACHIEVING LOSER is absolutely beyond me. Gilbert Arenas will have squandered his entire career away before he's actually even given himself a fair opportunity to achieve greatness.

Posted by: The_Funknician | October 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This guy's a disaster. He's gonna be a distraction all season w/ his nonsense. Does anyone actually trust him? He's an embarrassment to the franchise and the sooner they're rid of him, the better off they'll be.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

1. Gil lied to the coach
2. He cheated the 9,000 fans that wanted to see him play
3. He's not a coach, so he should try to determine how many minutes Nick gets.
4. In his "GILBERTOLOGY" mind it was a noble jesture (i.e. Robin Hood)

Bottom line Gil was wrong.

Gil, Flip, Ernie, Ted & David Stern need to get on Dr. Phil ASAP!

Posted by: Stevie-J | October 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

In a World of worry you have got to admit that Agent Zero makes things a bit lighter. Good luck Wizards !

Posted by: popsharris | October 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is trying to force management to let him go--even waive him. He's Haynesworth with charm.

Posted by: gregokauf1 | October 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

He knows that the Wizards can't trade him and that it'll be next to impossible to void his contract. He obviously still holds a grudge against the organization and is making them look foolish. I was ready to give him another shot w/ a new season, but enough is enough. He has to go and before the season starts. He's almost daring the team to cut him.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Funknician | October 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse
________________________________

So, you would just cut Gil... eat the 80 million... have the 80 million count against your cap for the next 5 years? Not to mention, there are only about 20 players that avg 20 ppg & Gil is one of them... Somehow, I don't think Ted would agree.

Posted by: tony325 | October 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Professional sports????
More like Little League without supervision!!

Posted by: thornegp2626 | October 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

In Gilbert's warped mind, I'm sure he thought he was doing a good thing for Nick by getting him playing time. However, it was idiotic to admit later that he was faking the injury. He could've not said anything and nobody would've known about this besides he and Nick.

Posted by: devin714 | October 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXHIBITION!" -Apollo Creed's trainer, Rocky 4

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 13, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Gil - will you please get a new therapist, start taking your meds, and get your head out of your rear end? You are a freakin' train wreck. Have you not learned anything? Are you always going to be a total psycho? How will your coach ever trust anything you do or say again? And then to brag and joke about it? What a d-bag!

Posted by: DC-UM-UDM | October 13, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thompsonbm | October 13, 2010 3:50 PM

Hate to tell you, but Arenas is the best player on the Wiz. Not Hinrich, Wall, McGee or Blatche.Wall hasnt done anything in this league. Its easy to get excited, but remember his body of work has been against summer league players and guys who are struggling for a roster spot. Its incredibly funny to watch people overreact to Arenas missing a preseason game. He isnt going to be traded so you might as well get over it. All things athletes do today and some of you cry like women when Gilbert is trying to get a developing player some more minutes.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

It really blows my mind that there are actually people out there who think Gil is "mentally ill." So, my question to all of you is: Have none of you ever done really dumb things in your life? Have none of you looked back at episodes in your life where your behavior now makes you squirm? I know I have. Fortunately, the dumb things I did were in a much more private setting than anything Gil does. So, until I reach the point in my life where every single day I do nothing but smart things, I think I'll withhold judgment on Gilbert Arenas. And, frankly, I think you all should do the same.

Posted by: juliagraffam | October 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

KingDoosheyDoosher - Arenas is not the freaking coach. It's not up to him how much playing time NY gets. People aren't pissed because Arenas missed a game. It's because everything he does undermines the coach, the organization, and the team. This is a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and it can't afford to be dependent on the whims of a mentally unstable man-child.

Posted by: DC-UM-UDM | October 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

lol@juliagraffam...

but true. People throw that around way too easily. There is nothing wrong with Gilbert. He's the coolest guy on the team hands down. People just get him wrong and the media got just what they wanted from Gilbert...a story!

After he stopped blogging they needed Gil to do SOMETHING so anything he did after that, they villanized the man, when in fact, he's just as normal as they come.

Oh well, her will be making ESPN highlights this year you can bet on that one...

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert should go, if fact I think that he actually wants to leave.

As far as the playoffs goes, the Wizards will not make it anyway so start the rebuild now by getting rid of Gilbert.

Posted by: Special_One40 | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

They should have traded him YEARS ago! Now look at all of problems the team is still having with him. Oh by the way, trade Hanesworth too.

Posted by: sixluv | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Someboady needs to make life isntruction elementrary for this idiot.

Glibert, play hard, shut up, follow instructions, shut up, earn your money shut up and go home.

Don't forget to shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: HURICARDO | October 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

They should have traded him YEARS ago! Now look at all of problems the team is still having with him. Oh by the way, trade Haynesworth too.

Posted by: sixluv | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert should go, if fact I think that he actually wants to leave.

Posted by: Special_One40 | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The next time I have a presentation to give at work, I'm gonna call in sick so that one of my co-workers can really shine. I won't consult w/ my boss that I'm gonna do this in advance, but I'll let him know after the fact that that's what I did. Wish me luck on finding my next job.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

You taking all the heat again, huh Arenas? You are one stupid idiot. You lied you dumb bastard. You deserve the heat. You will never grow up. Trade the SOB.

Posted by: getitritegov | October 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The reactions to Gilbert's gesture goes to show what NBA fans across the globe have all been debating....Washington Wizard fans are pathetic. This is a man who has taken pay cuts so the Wizards can bring in talent, this is a man who single-handedly wins games for you, this is a man who put his ego to the side and decided to let a young guy like Nick Young who is ridiculously talented, show that he can play when given the opportunity...and yet all you Wizards fans can do is try and bring out the negatives in his positive gesture. Your city deserves the years of failure that you're destined to have in the Sports World. Morons.

Posted by: Blackwidow3222 | October 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If he isn't mentally ill, he's either trying to humiliate the organization or he's the dumbest man on the planet.

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Special_One40 | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse
___________________________

I wouldn't take that bet... The Wiz could definitely make the top 8 to be in the playoffs. Wall = Wins, you'll see.

Posted by: tony325 | October 13, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is lunchin..........get rid of this lunchbox........

Posted by: sshipman1 | October 13, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards look like a team headed in the right direction with John Wall leading the way. Need some bangers who rebound and play tough defense.

Good ball movement, unselfish passing and some defense by some of the Wizards looked good .

Wizards need a big man coach for Javale (he's really worth it) and Yi (roll to the hoop after the pick and open up to the ball).

Don't need both Nick and Adam. Would be nice to see Nick's game mature and some effort on defense.

Gilbert knows the team is new and better with John Wall and he's acting out to get traded or released--the more unselfish and steady John Wall is the less Gil likes it in DC.

Coach played John too much last night--its a loong season: maybe Gil's actions forced him to leave John on the floor so long.

Gilbert-the Coaches need to see how you are able to play with almost all new teammates in a new role--preseason is not a waste of your time.....

Posted by: katomato | October 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getitritegov | October 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

These two imbecilic posts makes me question who really needs pyschiatric help. Normally this level of vitriol is saved for child rapists or people who have committed egrigious acts against humanity. The reality is he screwed up trying to do a noble deed. The reality is this was a preseason game and showed a lot of people that his boy really is a good basketball player.

Here are some facts for thedetractors who want to embelish Wall' performance and detract from Nick's, by the assist rebound comparisons. Wall had 1 rebound (Heinrich had 2) and 5 turnovers. There were very few rebounds to be had by anyone other than the bigs with both teams shooting in the upper 50 percent range.

The assist criticism is more laughable and shows the lack of basketball IQ OR bias that most Nick Young basketball detractors have. First, with Wall and Heinrich as the primary ballhandlers and dominating the basketball, how in the hell is he supposed to have any or many assists. The real stupidity of the criticism is that you would suggest that a player shooting 71% from the field pass the ball. Lets go even further, to score 24 points you would have to shoot over 85 percent from 2 point range. Now that is offensive efficiency that any rational person can comprehend.

The primary reason the Wizards won the game last night was due to the performance's of Nick, Yi, Andrae and Javale. Wall's numbers were respectable because he played deep into the 4th quarter and took 18 shots.

It would be nice if the Post had sportswriters who understood the game and were interested in reporting about the game instead of drama. Gil to his discredit is an easy target. The best advice anyone can give him is to give obligatory press conferences with a tight script (until he is traded).

Posted by: NewManagement | October 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

If Gilbert wanted Nick Young to get some playing time please do run your mouth to media and brag about how you fake injury. I do not think Gilbert is not getting it that News Media is going to be his biggest enemy and down fall to his career.

Nick Young do need some playing time

Posted by: JeffreyP | October 13, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert has the farthest thing from a winner's attitude. A real pro would want to prove his worth to the home crowd after a long suspension. Excise this cancer from the team!

Posted by: hometownhopeful | October 13, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Arenas. The circus is in town. What a pair of losers. Arenas is not and never has been a top tier star, never brought the Wizards close to any championship. How steady is he? Remember LeBron punking him out at the foul line...what a choker. He took the money like Haynesworth did and now is on the downside of his career. GET RID OF HIM before Hinrich takes him out back and beats the unprofessional crap out of him.

Posted by: skylinesva | October 13, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I think we all know what happens to the Wizards when Gil isn't on the court. Get rid of him? How about we get rid of the "fans" that keep saying nonsense like "get rid of him" or "he has to go."

Posted by: nmoses | October 13, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, you imbecile, didn't you ever read the story about "The Boy That Cried Wolf" when you were in grade school? If you lie about an injury, what's going to happen when you're injured for real at a critical juncture of the regular season? Do think the coach will believe you? Hell no. He'll think you're slacking. What an idiot.

Posted by: lwilliamson1 | October 13, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

UPSCALECHEF...And a few others miss the point just like Gilbert...This supposed all-star and backbone of the team LIED to his coach about having an injury...My God, if you are going to lie so another guy can play, don't you have the COMMON SENSE to at least keep your mouth shut about it???

Not Gilbert..his ego is too big and to make the comment " I wasn't thinking this would be another media outburst." How can the guy say that!!! What in the world is he thinking????

Now when the season starts and he complains about an injury, real or imagined, who will truly believe him...

There is certainly more drama to come and this is pre-season...

If he were on teams like Boston, Miami, The Lakers or San Antonio he would be gone for sure...certain teams don't tolerate drama unlike the Wizards....

Posted by: pentagon40 | October 13, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Holy Batcrap Robin,methinks the Wiz world has gone crazy!What the hell is going on,Gil's the first STAR to call in sick?Are you freaks kidding me?If anything he is the first STAR to be honest about it,that can be criticized,that perhaps shows he needed a little EGO boost,instead of keeping his YAP shut like all the others he for some reason needs to tell the world of his selfless deed.Yet you FOOLS have decided he needs professional help.Geez give me a break,the man is hurt and all of this BS makes it pretty easy to understand why.Is it immature and silly?Hell yeah,but is he medically unbalanced,please,those comments make you as foolish and immature as Gil's admission.A friggin X game in the NBA,you are all kidding right?Hell 50% of the regular season is meaningless,now it is a FEDERAL CRIME to lay out in an X game.Wow you fellas need some kind of life,this is ridiculous as what he did,the ONLY thing that makes this ANYTHING is that GIL HAD TO TELL EVERYONE,that's IT!Period.End of story,so the guy is hurt,reading this crap I fully understand it,this team was NOTHING until he came along for friggen ever!How short are your memories,John ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT Williams,team savior(my a$$) Trade away both Wallace's and Hamilton BRILLIANT,the Webber&Howard fiasco,dumping Rasheed,and you idiots are going to try and tell us it was Jamison,seriously?That is the stupidest thing in all of this BS,with the exception of the mental illness angles.Unbelievable,take nothing and next thing you know we have the damn Kennedy assassination conspiracy amongst a damn basketball team,WOW,who really needs help here?Gil or these damn fools posting how Gil has a serious mental defect?Where the hell did that crap come from,and then the he's just trying to get traded/released BS,what the hell now Gil can't read,he's so stupid he doesn't understand his contract ramifications on trades?Holy man alive off the damn charts stupid comment but yet Gil is the mental case.He IS THE ONLY REASON they went ANYWHERE in ANY PLAYOFF series',period.They let Hugh's go and as the stats show they were the second most successful guard tandem of ALL TIME,did you idiots see who was better,huh-well I'll tell you Jerry West&Gail Goodrich,period that's it the ONLY tandem that ever put up better numbers,but Gil's a headcase,no wonder the guy took a stab at showing he was selfless and tried to get some positive pub,sure it backfired,wasn't wise but surely it is understandable and not the evidence of a growing headcase.Enough already if you don't think that Gil&Wall are going to light up some fireworks once the regular season starts you are blind.Watch it and cry,just like the imbecile cranks that insisted the Nat's would be lucky to win 20 games during their X-season you fools will see,the Wiz will finish in 6th or better with ease barring key injuries,AB will blow all of you up,remember he sucked prior,&we won't hear another word from you fools.The one's that get it,let's watch the Wiz kick a$$,RANT OVER

Posted by: mfowler1 | October 13, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

So all you Arenas apologists don't see why it's a problem that he used "good teammate" and "lied to the coach" in the same sentence. So no matter what kind of a mindless idiot he is -- no matter how many times he demonstrates that he doesn't think the rules that everyone else lives by don't apply to him -- all that matters is that he can play a game. Great message to be sending to the kids. What an idiot.

Posted by: JColeBurke | October 14, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse